Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to do copy photography

Default Re: How to do copy photography

Can you describe, as accurately as possible, the condition of the photos, type, physical condition, especially the surfaces of the photos. Isn't there any way to contact the photographer/studio that did your photos for a digital scan/conversion? Chances are, most of the work would have been shot on negatives, unless it was a big budget shoot.

I was once forced to shoot paintings using natural light because the artist refused to allow flash. Of course, control was a bit difficult. Have to wait for the exact right time of day/weather. The results, with proper filteration, was good enough to be used in an art catalog.

You can try it if you like. Look for an area where there is no direct light or strong colour casts like under a HDB block. Also avoid any rear areas where there is a bright or open so that there would be no glare or reflection.

With custom WB, it should be a breeze compared to what I had to go through. But if your prints are glossy, then it would be quite difficult. Slight uneveness in lighting can be easily corrected in post processing. You have to find a way to mount the prints as flat as possible.

Once you're confident you got it right, see if you can borrow a 50mm f/1.4 lens, or rent a macro lens. Yes, it will make a noticeable difference compared to your kit lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Can you describe, as accurately as possible, the condition of the photos, type, physical condition, especially the surfaces of the photos. Isn't there any way to contact the photographer/studio that did your photos for a digital scan/conversion? Chances are, most of the work would have been shot on negatives, unless it was a big budget shoot.

I was once forced to shoot paintings using natural light because the artist refused to allow flash. Of course, control was a bit difficult. Have to wait for the exact right time of day/weather. The results, with proper filteration, was good enough to be used in an art catalog.

You can try it if you like. Look for an area where there is no direct light or strong colour casts like under a HDB block. Also avoid any rear areas where there is a bright or open so that there would be no glare or reflection.

With custom WB, it should be a breeze compared to what I had to go through. But if your prints are glossy, then it would be quite difficult. Slight uneveness in lighting can be easily corrected in post processing. You have to find a way to mount the prints as flat as possible.

Once you're confident you got it right, see if you can borrow a 50mm f/1.4 lens, or rent a macro lens. Yes, it will make a noticeable difference compared to your kit lens.
    The photos are mount on a album with white surface. Size are about A5. Glossy finish.
    There is no way of contacting the studio as they are taken in China. I do have the negative, which are in medium format. I did ask photo lab if they could scan the negative into digital, but the price they qoute is also very high. So by left or by right also have to spend a lot of money to convert those photos into digital.

Yes I know I am going to have a lot of problem to recopy my glossy photo which is mount on white album paper. And to add to the problem, one of my cousin come to know that I will be do recopying of my album myself and has requested to have hers converted too. Now got 4 albums to recopy!!!

Anyway, thanks guys for all the advise and help. My wife is going to me if I don't don't do this job properly, as the photos are "China" quality one, if you know what I mean. The colors are fading fast and the photos somehow are getting sticky.

Scanning negs that ex ah? I thought it was something like $15 per roll? How much did the lab quote you, and which lab did you go?

Copy work is not gonna be easy if your surfaces are glossy, and it's very tedious work. Since you have the negs, I suggest you check out all possible labs that do scanning and compare prices. The hours/days it's going to take you to re-copy and DI (especially considering that you've not done it before, and by the way you mentioned the physical quality of the prints) would probably end up a lot more expensive. You might end up having to re-shoot some lots as well.

Quote Originally Posted by js_chia View Post
    Please advise on how to use your scanner. Will be more than happy if can save all these hassle.
    Easy... Follow the steps:

1. Send me a PM
    2. Drive to my place / Take a cab.
    3. Take my scanner
    4. Install at your computer. Slowly Scan all the albums
    5. Return me the scanner
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Scanning negs that ex ah? I thought it was something like $15 per roll? How much did the lab quote you, and which lab did you go?

Copy work is not gonna be easy if your surfaces are glossy, and it's very tedious work. Since you have the negs, I suggest you check out all possible labs that do scanning and compare prices. The hours/days it's going to take you to re-copy and DI (especially considering that you've not done it before, and by the way you mentioned the physical quality of the prints) would probably end up a lot more expensive. You might end up having to re-shoot some lots as well.
    Do you have any good lobang for scanning medium format negative? Can recommend me one.

I know the copy work is not going to be easy. Especially without the proper equipments. Still worth a try to learn a new technique. Else all fail, have to spend money then. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    Easy... Follow the steps:

1. Send me a PM
    2. Drive to my place / Take a cab.
    3. Take my scanner
    4. Install at your computer. Slowly Scan all the albums
    5. Return me the scanner
    PM you. Thanks.

it will be good idea to scan the negative, anyway, I believe the 120 negative has been cut into pieces, so the lab quote you is by pieces.

some CSers here able to help you scan the negative via using the film scanner, you may post a thread in service wanted/offered to look for people to help you.

hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    it will be good idea to scan the negative, anyway, I believe the 120 negative has been cut into pieces, so the lab quote you is by pieces.

some CSers here able to help you scan the negative via using the film scanner, you may post a thread in service wanted/offered to look for people to help you.

hope this help.
    Thanks.

I know the copy work is not going to be easy. Especially without the proper equipments. Still worth a try to learn a new technique. Else all fail, have to spend money then. Thanks.
    Maybe the following could be useful:

Title Digital restoration from start to finish : how to repair old and damaged photographs / Ctein.
    Author Ctein.
    Publisher Amsterdam ; Boston, Mass. : Elsevier/Focal Press, 2007.
    Physical Description xii, 467 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 25 cm.
    Notes Includes index.
    Search by Subjects Photographs Conservation and restoration.
    Photography Digital techniques.
    Where to find it
    Branch Location Date Call Number Status
    Ang Mo Kio Community Library ____ 05-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Ang Mo Kio Community Library ____ 03-02-08 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Bukit Batok Community Library ____ 06-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Bukit Batok Community Library ____ 15-08-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Bedok Community Library ____ 07-11-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Bedok Community Library ____ 11-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Bishan Community Library ____ 24-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Bishan Community Library ____ 09-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Bukit Merah Community Library ____ 04-11-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Bukit Merah Community Library ____ 26-10-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Bukit Panjang Community Library ____ 18-10-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Bukit Panjang Community Library ____ 10-01-08 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Choa Chu Kang Community Library ____ 27-10-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Choa Chu Kang Community Library ____ 04-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Central Lending Library ____ 14-10-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Central Lending Library ____ 15-08-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Central Lending Library ____ 11-12-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Central Lending Library ____ 18-12-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Cheng San Community Library ____ 22-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Cheng San Community Library ____ 15-08-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Geylang East Community Library ____ 15-08-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Geylang East Community Library ____ 23-02-08 English 775 CTE -[ART] On Loan
    Jurong Regional Library ____ 03-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Jurong Regional Library ____ 04-03-08 English 775 CTE -[ART] On Loan
    Jurong West Community Library ____ 18-12-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Jurong West Community Library ____ 01-10-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Marine Parade Community Library ____ 21-12-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Marine Parade Community Library ____ 05-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Pasir Ris Community Library ____ 13-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Pasir Ris Community Library ____ 16-01-08 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Queenstown Community Library ____ 16-12-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Queenstown Community Library ____ 26-12-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Sembawang Community Library ____ 08-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Sembawang Community Library ____ 19-12-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Sengkang Community Library ____ 07-01-08 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Sengkang Community Library ____ 23-01-08 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Toa Payoh Community Library ____ 21-12-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Toa Payoh Community Library ____ 31-12-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Tampines Regional Library ____ 01-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Tampines Regional Library ____ 20-10-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Woodlands Regional Library ____ 17-11-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Woodlands Regional Library ____ 18-08-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Yishun Community Library ____ 13-01-08 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Yishun Community Library ____ 26-12-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

hope this help.
    yeh, I think scanning the negative might be a good idea as well... you would probably get more even and consistent results than using a makeshift copy setup... and with the size of medium format negatives, a half decent flatbed scanner capable of scanning film should do the trick...

vince123123
    Guests

If your photograph is smaller than an A3 (ie 2 A4s put together), I'll suggest you scan than to use copy photography.

There are scanners that can scan up to A3 around. The MDL at NUS has an A3 scanner.

Alternatively, a multifunctional photocopier can also scan A3 to TIF as well (quality wise not sure).

Different sizes. Bigger than normal A4 size. 2 pieces of A4 paper can cover whole picture.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    Maybe the following could be useful:

Title Digital restoration from start to finish : how to repair old and damaged photographs / Ctein.
    Author Ctein.
    Publisher Amsterdam ; Boston, Mass. : Elsevier/Focal Press, 2007.
    Physical Description xii, 467 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 25 cm.
    Notes Includes index.
    Search by Subjects Photographs Conservation and restoration.
    Photography Digital techniques.
    Where to find it
    Branch Location Date Call Number Status
    Ang Mo Kio Community Library ____ 05-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Ang Mo Kio Community Library ____ 03-02-08 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Bukit Batok Community Library ____ 06-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Bukit Batok Community Library ____ 15-08-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Bedok Community Library ____ 07-11-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Bedok Community Library ____ 11-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Bishan Community Library ____ 24-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Bishan Community Library ____ 09-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Bukit Merah Community Library ____ 04-11-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Bukit Merah Community Library ____ 26-10-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Bukit Panjang Community Library ____ 18-10-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Bukit Panjang Community Library ____ 10-01-08 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Choa Chu Kang Community Library ____ 27-10-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Choa Chu Kang Community Library ____ 04-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Central Lending Library ____ 14-10-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Central Lending Library ____ 15-08-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Central Lending Library ____ 11-12-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Central Lending Library ____ 18-12-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Cheng San Community Library ____ 22-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Cheng San Community Library ____ 15-08-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Geylang East Community Library ____ 15-08-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Geylang East Community Library ____ 23-02-08 English 775 CTE -[ART] On Loan
    Jurong Regional Library ____ 03-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Jurong Regional Library ____ 04-03-08 English 775 CTE -[ART] On Loan
    Jurong West Community Library ____ 18-12-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Jurong West Community Library ____ 01-10-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Marine Parade Community Library ____ 21-12-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Marine Parade Community Library ____ 05-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Pasir Ris Community Library ____ 13-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Pasir Ris Community Library ____ 16-01-08 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Queenstown Community Library ____ 16-12-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Queenstown Community Library ____ 26-12-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Sembawang Community Library ____ 08-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Sembawang Community Library ____ 19-12-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Sengkang Community Library ____ 07-01-08 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Sengkang Community Library ____ 23-01-08 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Toa Payoh Community Library ____ 21-12-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Toa Payoh Community Library ____ 31-12-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Tampines Regional Library ____ 01-09-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Tampines Regional Library ____ 20-10-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Woodlands Regional Library ____ 17-11-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Woodlands Regional Library ____ 18-08-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Yishun Community Library ____ 13-01-08 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    Yishun Community Library ____ 26-12-07 English 775 CTE -[ART] Not on Loan
    this book is for heavy weights, not beginners, about 2.5cm thick. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    If your photograph is smaller than an A3 (ie 2 A4s put together), I'll suggest you scan than to use copy photography.

There are scanners that can scan up to A3 around. The MDL at NUS has an A3 scanner.

Alternatively, a multifunctional photocopier can also scan A3 to TIF as well (quality wise not sure).
    How can I have access to the MDL at NUS???
    I'm not a NUS student nor an alumnus. Not smart enough for Singapore standard.

However, I am waitting for a reply from a fellow CSer, who kindly agreed to borrow me his scanner. Not sure how big it is.

I do, however, wants to try out the copy photography technique as described in thread just for the sake of fun.

By first thing come first, must get those photos to digital by hook or by crook.

Thanks guys for all these inputs and suggestions.

vince123123
    Guests

Hmm during my time, members of the public can go also, but donno if must pay or not.

I think the scanner will have better results than copying though. Can try both n see :P

How can I have access to the MDL at NUS???
    I'm not a NUS student nor an alumnus. Not smart enough for Singapore standard.

However, I am waitting for a reply from a fellow CSer, who kindly agreed to borrow me his scanner. Not sure how big it is.

I do, however, wants to try out the copy photography technique as described in thread just for the sake of fun.

By first thing come first, must get those photos to digital by hook or by crook.

Thanks guys for all these inputs and suggestions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12