Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: First try at animal photograhy

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang, S'pore
    Posts
    86

    Default First try at animal photograhy

    i'm a newbie and this is my first try at animal photography.
    i'm still trying to learn about apperture and shutter speed combination, i tried shooting at full manual mode and end up with disastous outcome, with this pic i used program (P) mode. it was shot using a Nikon D70s, Tamron AF70-300 F4-5.6 Di LD Macro (1:2)

    it seems that its a little underexposed. i didn't use my flash as i thought that it is not allowed and didn't bother to asked. as this is my first try im quite satisfied but i want to know if you have any suggestions to make some improvements. C&C will be really appreciated.

    #1
    http://wahoofrix.multiply.com/photos/photo/2/1
    Last edited by eikin; 18th February 2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: remove extra image
    Nikon D70s, 18-135mm AF-S DX, 50mm f1.8

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Serangoon, Singapore
    Posts
    844

    Default Re: First try at animal photograhy

    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    i'm a newbie and this is my first try at animal photography.
    i'm still trying to learn about apperture and shutter speed combination, i tried shooting at full manual mode and end up with disastous outcome, with this pic i used program (P) mode. it was shot using a Nikon D70s, Tamron AF70-300 F4-5.6 Di LD Macro (1:2)

    it seems that its a little underexposed. i didn't use my flash as i thought that it is not allowed and didn't bother to asked. as this is my first try im quite satisfied but i want to know if you have any suggestions to make some improvements. C&C will be really appreciated.

    #1
    u cant link it this way, bro.

    http://wahoofrix.multiply.com/photos/photo/2/1
    Last edited by eikin; 19th February 2008 at 09:29 AM.
    EOS 6D | GH4 | LX100 | HERO4

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang, S'pore
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: First try at animal photograhy

    Quote Originally Posted by Fragnatic View Post

    thanx bro, i have edited my post and i hope i get it right this time.
    Last edited by eikin; 19th February 2008 at 09:29 AM.
    Nikon D70s, 18-135mm AF-S DX, 50mm f1.8

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: First try at animal photograhy

    please note that critique request is limited to 1 image per week.

    extra image removed.

  5. #5
    Member dennisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Freezing Upp Thomson/Mandai!
    Posts
    1,987

    Default Re: First try at animal photograhy

    I personally like #2, but there's too much space on the right half of the pic. Unless u want to full the tigers head fully into the frame, that'll be good, otherwise the empty frame would waste megapixels, lol. Also nicer if the tiger looks more engaging, as in more towards the cam. #1 is too centered without the body, didn't tell much. Maybe shoot fr higher or lower angle with the tiger looking down would look more dramatic.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang, S'pore
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: First try at animal photograhy

    Quote Originally Posted by Fragnatic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    please note that critique request is limited to 1 image per week.

    extra image removed.
    thanks mod eikin. i'll remember it next time
    Last edited by eikin; 19th February 2008 at 09:30 AM.
    Nikon D70s, 18-135mm AF-S DX, 50mm f1.8

  7. #7

    Default Re: First try at animal photograhy

    Second one looks better to me too but it might look better if it was cropped slightly tighter giving more focus to the tiger's gaze. Lighting-wse I guess you cant do much but its pretty bad as the foliage in the background is brighter than the tiger's face and thus distracts alot from your main subject. The sunlight falling on the side of the tigers face and back is quite nice but the shadow on the face seems to suggest that perhaps that is not your main subject again.
    Last edited by raptor84; 19th February 2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: typos
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang, S'pore
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: First try at animal photograhy

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor84 View Post
    Second one looks better to me too but it might look better if it was cropped slightly tighter giving more focus to the tiger's gaze. Lighting-wse I guess you cant do much but its pretty bad as the foliage in the background is brighter than the tiger's face and thus distracts alot from your main subject. The sunlight falling on the side of the tigers face and back is quite nice but the shadow on the face seems to suggest that perhaps that is not your main subject again.
    i didn't use any flash or fill light on this. the shot was taken late in the morning, i agree tht the lighting is quite bad at that moment. this is also my first try to use the continious-servo AF. thanx for the C&C, i'm learning new things.
    Nikon D70s, 18-135mm AF-S DX, 50mm f1.8

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •