time to time, there are people asking for such cameras (without considering DSLRs and DSLR lenses)...
i just wonder if that is possible....
i assume reliable refers to the ability to have sufficient exposure and minimal handshakes, in low light (e.g. night) without flash.
the following enables that
1. high ISO capabilities (how high can a prosumer gets to? can someone answer that? is it technically possible to add the same ISO capabilities in a compact as in a high end DSLR since both are just electronics ?
2. good body VR ability (how does vibration reduction, or so called image stabilisation, works in compacts as compared to the DSLR's counterparts?)
3. ultra wide angle of view (not possible in current models of prosumers and compacts, even in the wider ends models)
4. larger sensor size (require larger angular movement to produce movements, hence less handshake; larger sensor not present in almost all prosumer and compact bodies)
5. large aperture for maximal light entry (not available again for compacts)
so is it something that we can tell those who wanted reliable night shots without flash - forget abt compacts or prosumers, even with DSLR there is some restrictions.