Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torchlight to reccommend?

Default Torchlight to reccommend?

Hi, I'm currently looking for a torchlight. Preferably water resistance, use AA batteries and reasonably bright.

Saw a few at Singarm but some are really expensive.eek: Had a maglite but dont think it is bright enough.

Got a question. Are those with Leds better with bulb? The led claim to have very long operating life. Are led brighter than halagon bulb?:

Default Underwater Torches?

How about underwater Torches?

they are reasonably bright ang they have long burn time.

Default Re: Torchlight to reccommend?

Careefour is selling a handheld torch light equivalent to a million (i think) candlelight illumination at $15. Got one 2 weeks ago.

Very brint ... can even shine into the HDB flat 300 meters away.

Originally posted by kim
    Hi, I'm currently looking for a torchlight. Preferably water resistance, use AA batteries and reasonably bright.

Saw a few at Singarm but some are really expensive.eek: Had a maglite but dont think it is bright enough.

Got a question. Are those with Leds better with bulb? The led claim to have very long operating life. Are led brighter than halagon bulb?:

Default Re: Underwater Torches?

Originally posted by waisj

Where can i get them? Roughly how much?
    Thanks

Default Re: Re: Torchlight to reccommend?

Originally posted by kiwitan
    Careefour is selling a handheld torch light equivalent to a million (i think) candlelight illumination at $15. Got one 2 weeks ago.

Wow... that's bright... think i go take a look later.....

Thanks..

Princeton Tec 40 If you can get it from the US, even cheaper than Singapore price.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/

Originally posted by erwinx
    Princeton Tec 40 If you can get it from the US, even cheaper than Singapore price.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/
    Where in Singapore can i get the Princeton Tec 40 ? Any idea how much??

thanks..

Originally posted by kim
    Where in Singapore can i get the Princeton Tec 40 ? Any idea how much??

thanks..
    Singarms and those outdoor/camping shops in Peninsula. can't recall the price. If you have too many rechargeable AA batteries lying around, theres a Princeton Tec Surge that takes 8xAA. Better than buying those 'C' or 'D' battery torchlights

If you are using the torchlight for looking for stuff in the camera bag at night I'd recommend not buying very bright torchlight so that your eyes dont lose their night vision. I bought a 2 LEDs(Ultra bright white) torchlight from a hardwareshop opposite the Marine Parade NTUC for $23. Its supposed to last for 40hours with 3AAA batteries. The light is normal power enough for up to 10 meters I think. White like a fluorescent light.
    Last edited by reno77; 31st May 2003 at 02:32 PM.

Originally posted by kim

Halagon are much brighter but consumes more power, You will be able to focus a halagon touch and achieve a greater distance.

As for LED they are less bright but can run longer with the same number of batts on a halagon touch.

In order to have a more powerful LED Touch, you need to get one with lots of LED eg. 5-10 & it cost all most $60-$100 for it. But still a single bulb Hala is still brighter.

Therefore you will need to consider your usage. Do you need the power or do you need to save money on the batts?

Default Re: Re: Torchlight to reccommend?

Originally posted by kiwitan

cannot be a million, prob 1 thousand candlelight.
    I million will probably fry the hdb flat paint work.

Default Re: Re: Re: Torchlight to reccommend?

Originally posted by zekai
    maglight good enough for me... what can we possibly shine???

Deregistered

Default Re: Underwater Torches?

Originally posted by waisj

please take note that some u/w torches may literally burn out because of the high heat levels that it dissipates - because during normal operation, it is cooled by seawater...

Default Re: Re: Re: Torchlight to reccommend?

Originally posted by zekai
    I can't remember the number of zeroes, but it's definitely around 100,000 or 1,000,000 as claimed on the box.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Torchlight to reccommend?

Originally posted by ChinShiong
    I can't remember the number of zeroes, but it's definitely around 100,000 or 1,000,000 as claimed on the box.
    If the light uses 8xC or 8xD or some proprietary li-ion battery, then it could possibly be 100,000 candlepower

see the ratings here for comparison : http://www.pelican.com/lights4.html

why fuss over such things? i'm still using that small little black penlight provided by the SAF to look for things in my camera bag and an army L torch (not only water resistance, also shock resistant)

Hmm? Last year when I was looking around, SngArms was one of the cheaper places for the Maglites, Pelicans and Princetons. To top it off, Safra members get another 20% off, so the Maglite and Pelican that I finally got was the best price I could find! Think students also can get 10-15%....

..NuTs..

Originally posted by kim

FYI no more discount at sngarm for SAFRA.

Aw, shucks...

Originally posted by alexlkk
    FYI no more discount at sngarm for SAFRA.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Torchlight to reccommend?

Originally posted by ChinShiong
    actually i think you may be right, 1 millon is possible.... i have fallen behind in technology.

dunno if they are over-rating it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast