Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Better use of in built Flash

  1. #1

    Default Better use of in built Flash

    I usually try to avoid using flash during indoors shooting cos' the natural lighting always look better... but sometimes no choices..cos' I want to capture people in motion which req' a much higher shutter speed... how to avoid getting those horrible white glare on their faces ?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    west
    Posts
    1,313

    Default Re: Better use of in built Flash

    use an external flash wif bounce, or use built in flash diffuser like lumiquest soft screen.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Better use of in built Flash

    How much does an external flash wif bounce cost ? any good model to suggest ( I using sony alpah 200)
    What's a built in flash diffuser? sound expensive...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Better use of in built Flash

    If your camera does not have a flash hot-shoe, use an external slave flash

    see http://megaweb.clubsnap.org/articles/a70_slave/
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  5. #5

    Default Re: Better use of in built Flash

    My camera have a flash hot-shoe... which do you recommend the ?
    Err... saw your link to external slave flash... no thanks ! ... to bulky for me !!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    458

    Default Re: Better use of in built Flash

    Quote Originally Posted by LavenderTea View Post
    I usually try to avoid using flash during indoors shooting cos' the natural lighting always look better... but sometimes no choices..cos' I want to capture people in motion which req' a much higher shutter speed... how to avoid getting those horrible white glare on their faces ?
    sista,

    u can DIY ur own in-built flash diffuser. there are quite a lots of meterial u can use.

    i use the CD sleeve cotton type of material to make a pocket kind of things to cover the pop up flash.

    or u can use trasing paper. or if u last mins want to disfuse the flash without anything on hand, tissue paper (double layer) can also be used.

    try different materials, find 1 tat suit ur shooting style. but u have to be awared that such flash will not be able to throw far, an external flash gun is still better.

    just sharing.

    jay the killer

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: Better use of in built Flash

    Quote Originally Posted by noob117 View Post
    use an external flash wif bounce, or use built in flash diffuser like lumiquest soft screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by LavenderTea View Post
    How much does an external flash wif bounce cost ? any good model to suggest ( I using sony alpah 200)
    What's a built in flash diffuser? sound expensive...
    read [built-in-flash] diffuser like lumiquest soft screen http://www.cathayphoto.com.sg/specia...rand/lumiquest

    external flash will cost you from $200-500 depending on what you want to buy.
    and that's not the end, flash photography is a field of knowledge and techniques on its own. you can start off by reading up on googled pages on how to flash. some will show schematic diagrams on how light is directed when you "bounce".

    if you don't feel like spending more money on flash yet (esp if you are not shooting heavily with flash), then use the self-made diffuser method. haha. think hard, you can self-made the lumiquest soft screen with a translucent CD sleeve.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Better use of in built Flash

    Quote Originally Posted by LavenderTea View Post
    I usually try to avoid using flash during indoors shooting cos' the natural lighting always look better... but sometimes no choices..cos' I want to capture people in motion which req' a much higher shutter speed... how to avoid getting those horrible white glare on their faces ?
    get the Gary Fong pop up flash diffuser (The Puffer) or copy version at OP for just $10, that should solve your prob with less hassle..
    YOU are the one who composed & create a masterpiece, better equipment only make the job easier

  9. #9
    Member Buggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,139

    Default Re: Better use of in built Flash

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Jay View Post
    sista,

    u can DIY ur own in-built flash diffuser. there are quite a lots of meterial u can use.

    i use the CD sleeve cotton type of material to make a pocket kind of things to cover the pop up flash.

    or u can use trasing paper. or if u last mins want to disfuse the flash without anything on hand, tissue paper (double layer) can also be used.

    try different materials, find 1 tat suit ur shooting style. but u have to be awared that such flash will not be able to throw far, an external flash gun is still better.

    just sharing.

    jay the killer
    at emergency times, even tissue can be useful
    Last edited by Buggy; 17th February 2008 at 04:32 PM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Better use of in built Flash

    Quote Originally Posted by mattroxy View Post
    get the Gary Fong pop up flash diffuser (The Puffer) or copy version at OP for just $10, that should solve your prob with less hassle..
    Thanks ! what does OP stand for ?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: Better use of in built Flash

    Orient Photo at Lvl 6 of Sim Lim Square. more reviews or opinions of them can be found at consumer section.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    458

    Default Re: Better use of in built Flash

    Quote Originally Posted by Buggy View Post
    at emergency times, even tissue can be useful
    bro,

    in ALL kind of emergency, tissue is ALWAYS useful.

    sorry to TS for the OT.

    jay the naughty

  13. #13

    Default Re: Better use of in built Flash

    Quote Originally Posted by mattroxy View Post
    get the Gary Fong pop up flash diffuser (The Puffer) or copy version at OP for just $10, that should solve your prob with less hassle..
    I remember on my old Sony H1, the flash was super-strong! Great for large group shots, horrible for close-up shots. Tissue paper (one thin layer) worked like a charm. I just used one ply from a 2-ply sheet.

    Also, you can use the slightly opaque plastic like from the take-out containers.
    Alpha

  14. #14

    Default Re: Better use of in built Flash

    i use tissue paper for company event.
    My colleagues even asked me why my camera got bandage.....hahaha.
    Btw, I keep a rubber band at the lens there.
    When i take pics of ppl or macro, i will bandage my flash
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •