Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New York New York!

View from the apartment I stayed in. Evening light. No filtration and taken with sigma 28-70 handheld

p.s. the vignetting in the corner caused by the fact that i didn't screw the hood on properly

Originally posted by Nikonian Foo

These Jews, work 4.5 days, earn so much money. I want to join them leh.
    Actually they do open on Sunday morning. Here's there opening hours taken from their website:

Sunday: 10:00 am to 5:00 p.m.
    Monday through Thursday: 9:00 am to 7:00 p.m.
    Friday (winter EST): 9:00 am to 1:00 p.m.
    Friday (Summer DST): 9:00 am to 2:00 p.m.
    Saturday: Closed

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Oh no! I was wandering around N.Y. aimlessly on my last day (Sunday)!

Was at Carrefour Suntec just now. Got a Globetrotter guide on New York for 4 bucks. Pretty neat book. Divides up Manhatten into different parts. Pretty useful as a guide of what to see (not how to get around). Although publised in 2000, most of the star attractions should still be around.

A few things to watch out for.

Money - Things there costs the same in number terms. A Macdonalds meal costs about 5 bucks odd here in SGD, the same as in the US, but in USD terms. Food is expensive, really expensive. The cheapest food are the roadside stalls selling some kind of Turkish rice and beef. Cheapest place to eat is at Chinatown. Remember to bring sufficient money, and don't carry everything with you at anytime. As much as possible use the big notes ($50 is the biggest you should carry) in fast food joints, supermarkets and other departmental stores, but not along those road side stalls or other smaller convenience stalls. IT IS NOT SAFE. After a while, if you are careful, you will know what to do.

Personal Belongings - Try not to attract too much attention, especially if your photography gear looks too fanciful, dangle that SLR while walking along the quieter neighbourhoods. I stumbled into a black neighboorhood accidentally, place was pretty near Korean Street (It is not the road name, but where the Koreans seem to congregate). Man, you should see the look of the black americans staring down at you, head to toe, 6 odd feet tall and built like bulls, as if looking for something. Don't carry your belongings in your back pockets. Beware of pickpockets.

Communication - When you speak, don't talk like as if you are talking to your buddies in Singapore. Speak out properly, clearly and make sure that they can hear you. Look at them when you speak, and show a little confidence. If you are in a line, make sure that you do not hold up the line unnecessarily. The hispanics are better and more willing to assist you, the black americans don't have the patience for anything. You will be surprised that New York (Manhatten) is not like other places in America. There are many people of many races there. You will know what I mean after a few days.

Travelling - The more the people, the merrier. If you sense trouble, stay clear. while I was there, I took the subway very often. Occassionally, you see wierdos around, occassionally some hoodlums. These are what I mean by trouble.

Can't figure out if there are anything else to be careful of. Mid and downton Manhatten are pretty safe in the daytime. I did venture out till past midnight and the place looked exactly like the kind of dimly lit streets you see in the movies and television.

Maybe a few tips from the others?

Originally posted by Parchiao
    Was at Carrefour Suntec just now. Got a Globetrotter guide on New York for 4 bucks. Pretty neat book. Divides up Manhatten into different parts. Pretty useful as a guide of what to see (not how to get around). Although publised in 2000, most of the star attractions should still be around.

A few things to watch out for.

Money - Things there costs the same in number terms. A Macdonalds meal costs about 5 bucks odd here in SGD, the same as in the US, but in USD terms. Food is expensive, really expensive. The cheapest food are the roadside stalls selling some kind of Turkish rice and beef. Cheapest place to eat is at Chinatown. Remember to bring sufficient money, and don't carry everything with you at anytime. As much as possible use the big notes ($50 is the biggest you should carry) in fast food joints, supermarkets and other departmental stores, but not along those road side stalls or other smaller convenience stalls. IT IS NOT SAFE. After a while, if you are careful, you will know what to do.

Personal Belongings - Try not to attract too much attention, especially if your photography gear looks too fanciful, dangle that SLR while walking along the quieter neighbourhoods. I stumbled into a black neighboorhood accidentally, place was pretty near Korean Street (It is not the road name, but where the Koreans seem to congregate). Man, you should see the look of the black americans staring down at you, head to toe, 6 odd feet tall and built like bulls, as if looking for something. Don't carry your belongings in your back pockets. Beware of pickpockets.

Communication - When you speak, don't talk like as if you are talking to your buddies in Singapore. Speak out properly, clearly and make sure that they can hear you. Look at them when you speak, and show a little confidence. If you are in a line, make sure that you do not hold up the line unnecessarily. The hispanics are better and more willing to assist you, the black americans don't have the patience for anything. You will be surprised that New York (Manhatten) is not like other places in America. There are many people of many races there. You will know what I mean after a few days.

Travelling - The more the people, the merrier. If you sense trouble, stay clear. while I was there, I took the subway very often. Occassionally, you see wierdos around, occassionally some hoodlums. These are what I mean by trouble.

Can't figure out if there are anything else to be careful of. Mid and downton Manhatten are pretty safe in the daytime. I did venture out till past midnight and the place looked exactly like the kind of dimly lit streets you see in the movies and television.

Maybe a few tips from the others?
    No need to get so "afraid" by all the above as you will find enjoying NY a nerve wreking experience. Manhatten is a pretty "happening" place. Just enjoy yourself. The usual traveling tips apply to any country.. have common sense.

Sure it is a great place. But it is always better to take precautions at the initial stage until you know what to do. After that, you will enjoy it very much.

Second day while I was there, was walking about three blocks away from Times square. There were literally hundreds of people along the street. Saw two thugs run and BANG! hit a lady who fell onto the street. First thug was quick, ran into the busy street and forces the oncoming traffic to stop so as not to hit him. Second thug was slower, got caught by his jacket by a man chasing him. Thug actually unzipped the jacket with his leading arm and pulled himself out of his own jacket while the man behind fell. Second thug ran like the first across the street. Like a scence from the movies. Apparantly, a snatch thef as the first thug was carrying something in his hand. when I crossed the reoad. Believe it or not, everybody just stood and watched, and nobody else who were near the incident did anything.

Just one of a few incidences over a period of two weeks that convinced me to take a little more precaution.

Does not harm to be careful. I have friends and family members who haved stayed (long term) or studied in New York. All give the same advice. Nothing nerve wrecking with being careful, just that we tend to take our safety for granted here in Singapore, and should not while we are there. I agree that it is true that the usual travel tips apply elesewhere, but the degree differs. Imagine yourself in Hong Kong and in New York, definitely different.

Thank you Parchiao..

u have certainly given me alot of minders..
    I appreciate it very much..

yep..will certainly heed ur adivce
    (hmm.. am thinking twice about hanging my slr ard the neck liao)

Thanks to all who have contribued to this thread..
    all your feedback has been most useful..

will be leaving on tuesday june 10.

Last edited by jherek; 6th June 2003 at 12:37 AM.

But of course, if you are in the company of other tourists, e.g. On the top of the Empire States Building, at Liberty Island, you can still hang that camera around your neck.

BTW, developing film there is also darn expensive.

Have a good trip and do show us your pics!

was kinda thinking of doing street shots..
    eheh..

yep..i hope they turn out alright..

btw if i declare my film at the check point will they still x-ray my film??

You can try, but with the degree of security so high, some of them may not understand why they cannot pass your film through the x-ray machine.

I normally keep my film in an x-ray safe (ISO 800) lead lined bag in my hand carry luggage and just let it pass through the machine. Problem is always with the roll that is in the camera. The only solution i can think of is to have the roll of film rewound, with the end sticking out if possible, and keep it in the x-ray safe bag. The other option would be to bring along a PnS and use that until you are out of the Airport.

BTW, how are you gonna get to Manhatten from the Airport (JFK or La Guardia)?

lead lined bag?
    where can i get tt?

another advice i got was to keep the film in a black cloth bag..
    said it shd help when passing thru the milder x-ray
    wat say u?

i believe my friend's folks are picking us up from jfk..
    so no problem on tt..

My friends and I eat McDonald's every day for lunch while we were in New York. We even had Mac for dinner sometimes as well. Why? "Big and Tasty" Hamburger $1.00 offer. Dunno still available or not. Our meal was usually 2 burgers and a drink. $3.00 plus tax.

Just don't bring any film above ISO 800 and you don't need an X-ray bag.

x-ray safe bags are found easiliy in places like CP. There are several types to be precise. Black cloth does nothing against x-rays.

I did figure out that it is fine to bring films through the x-ray machine for hand held luggages as I have done in the past when photography was not a hobby of mine. Just a little kiasu nowadays, since I always use ISO400 film.

As for food, you must try the pizzas there. New York is famous for their brand of pizzas.

Most of the time the X-ray machines at airports are film-safe up to ISO800.

I am skeptical about using X-ray safe bags under current situations. If the purpose is to block the X-ray, the airport security will see a big blob on their screen, and they cannot tell what it is. The last thing you want is to raise their suspicion.

What I think they will do then is to request to search your bag.

When a search is ordered, you might get the full suite. Take off shoes, metal detector scan, bag search...the whole nine yards.

So it is better to make sure that the security is able to tell what you have in your bags, to avoid the search.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

My friends and I got the full suite. Is it because I is Chinese?

Yah, I got the treatment too, but my wife went right in without a hitch.

What caught my attention was not the way in which they searched my stuff or tested my shoes, but the dang policeman who was virtually armed to the teeth. He had this machine gun like thing slinged across his shoulder, and both hands were holding onto it, like what we would do with an M16. His uniform was pretty smart, like those from the 70s television show S.W.A.T. Just like the the movies.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123