Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Six dead, including gunman, in US university shooting

Default Six dead, including gunman, in US university shooting

Posted: 15 February 2008 1007 hrs

CHICAGO - A black-clad gunman turned a university lecture into a Valentine's Day massacre Thursday, killing six people before turning the gun on himself in the latest episode of US school violence, authorities said.

Armed with a shotgun and two handguns, he calmly stepped out from behind the curtain at the front of a packed auditorium just minutes before a geography class ended at Northern Illinois University, officials and witnesses said.

"It started and ended within a matter of seconds," university police chief Donald Grady said at a press conference outside this Midwestern US city.

"We have no apparent motive at this time," Grady said. "The suspect killed himself on the stage."

Grady would not identify the six victims or confirm reports that a teacher was among the 18 people shot.

Witnesses said the shooter, described as a white male around six feet (1.8 meters) tall, said nothing as he opened fire.

"He was aiming towards the crowd but I don't think he was aiming at a specific person," a witness named Sheila told WBBM radio.

"He was quiet. He just stood on the stage in front of everybody and just started shooting."

"I saw him holding the gun and it was huge. I thought it was fake and then I realized he was really shooting at people and I got down," she said.

"I saw a lot of blood. I have blood all over my clothes."

Officials of the 112-year-old university 65 miles (105 kilometers) west of Chicago gave out few details of the incident.

"It has been confirmed that there has been a shooting on campus and several people have been taken away by ambulance," its website said.

A spokesman for nearby Kishwaukee Community Hospital earlier said 17 wounded victims had been brought in. Students described now-familiar scenes of panic in the fifth school shooting in the United States in the last week.

"I saw a lot of confusion," Dominique Broxton, 22, told the Chicago Tribune, describing the scene from her dorm room. "Students were running. People really didn't know what was going on."

The shooting came 10 months after 32 students and faculty were shot down by a mentally disturbed student at Virginia Tech University in the deadliest massacre ever at a US school.

Chicago has long been noted for the Valentine's Day Massacre of February 14, 1929, when seven people were executed by machine-gun, in a Mafia killing during the city's gangster heyday.

Northern Illinois University, chartered in 1895, is a teaching and research institution with a student enrolment of more than 25,000 and nearly 1,300 teachers.

It has 862 international students from 88 nations. Broxton said she could see two wounded students from her dorm room.

"The ambulance took away two students on the ground right outside my dorm," she said. "I don't know them. They looked bloody. Where I am right now, there are a lot of police, at least a dozen.

There are police cars and trucks everywhere." "There is an intercom system inside the dorm.

Someone came on and stated that someone had been caught. They said they caught the shooter and that we should remain calm and stay in our rooms." -AFP/vm
    Seems like a bad trend has follow suit!

Default Re: Six dead, including gunman, in US university shooting

not the first time, definitely won't be the last time. They rip what they sow for allowing civilian carrying guns.

If only it was so simple.

Quote Originally Posted by amateur_photographer View Post
    not the first time, definitely won't be the last time. They rip what they sow for allowing civilian carrying guns.
    That's a very hateful and glib way of looking at the situation.

i heard from the news that it is the fourth shooting incident for the past one week..
    very sad to hear that
    24 F1.4L mk2 | 24-105 F4L | 70-200 F2.8L mk1 | 30 F1.4
    5D2 | 40D

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    There is something wrong with their society, I hope they can address that. Having weapons doesn't make one a killer, a killer will find other means to kill anyway......the weapon itself doesn't kill, it needs someone to trigger and aim it.

It is the mind that needs to be looked at, sad society.........

HS

Deregistered

I believe that most shooting is a case of a troubled child.
    Look at the shooting which involves the korean guy and the one before that.
    Society in america is espeically in their highschool where everyone forms groups and segregate themselve from one another.
    The sad ones are people who are left out who in turn becomes a potential shooter.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    Why is it?
    I believe he just spoke the truth.
    It's here to stay unless americans are willing to wake up and take a look at themselves.

Deregistered

The real victim i believe is the shooter.

No happy lark goes around with a gun shooting others before popping a bullet into his brain.
    He must have been heavily pressure by his schoolmate.

I'm 90% positive this is the case.
    let's wait what the psychologist has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by dotaboy View Post
    Why is it?
    I believe he just spoke the truth.
    It's here to stay unless americans are willing to wake up and take a look at themselves.
    It is the point that civvies are allowed to carry guns. As what hongsien said, carrying a gun does not make one a killer. A killer has enough drive to kill, so much so that the weapon is the least of his concerns.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    It is the point that civvies are allowed to carry guns. As what hongsien said, carrying a gun does not make one a killer. A killer has enough drive to kill, so much so that the weapon is the least of his concerns.
    yes,agree with that.
    People fail to see past the killings and death.

I've seen bullies bullying small and weak kids during my secondary school days.
    These kids were already anti social to begin with,bullying worsens the matter and up the bar by notches.
    In yankee land,things are much complicated.
    People have groups,the jockeys,the parties animals,the stud,the geeks and nerds.
    The worst ones are those who doesn't have any groups,outcasted.
    Nobody is themselves by themselve,everyone is a product of social moudling.

Holding a gun is the worst thing to do.
    I wouldn't condemn the shooter to be honest,have never condemn the other shooters before.
    And i were to be straightforward,i would actually say i feel alright with his actions.

Americans have ton of charecter building to look into.
    Their "ME ME ME" attitude is going to cost them their lives.

This is merely a case of retributive justice.
    Last edited by dotaboy; 16th February 2008 at 12:58 AM.

Having the ability to legally buy a weapon is a very significant contributing factor.
    Though there are other ways to kill, using a gun is one of the most effective and quick way for a massacre.
    You just can't kill 6 and wound 15 with a parang.

Last edited by AReality; 16th February 2008 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post

Lol. You have a point there.

Deregistered

Having the ability to legally buy a weapon is a very significant contributing factor.
    Though there are other ways to kill, using a gun is one of the most effective and quick way for a mass massacre.

Instead of focusing on the weapon,why not the nation do some charecter development?

Banning the weapon isn't going to help.
    People can obtain it from the blackmarket.
    Someone who wants to kill will kill.

It's kinda ironic the country acting as the 'world police' on their own accord haven't much to boost of it's people.
    Last edited by dotaboy; 16th February 2008 at 01:06 AM.

Though there are other ways to kill, using a gun is one of the most effective and quick way for a mass massacre.

well, i could effectively kill everybody in the swimming pool (how big is that?) if i threw in some high voltage appliance.

even faster than gun leh, that one still need to shoot and aim to kill.

or i can just mow down people on the road with my car. or i can just sneak into the school canteen and light the gas stoves happily, literally burning the school down. i'm sure some people would die.

the people with the intent to kill will be able to find a gun somehow. what you do do, when you ban them in a country which is not quite as well-administered safety-wise like america, along with its culture, is send out the message to people that only the ones with the ability to offend, not defend will have the means to obtain the ability to injure and kill. and then what happens?

the root of the problem lies with the mind. in singapore, we ban guns, there are still murders happening. no mass massacre, but i suspect that's probably to do with the effectiveness of the heavy punishments meted out and the relative tameness of singaporeans.
    Last edited by night86mare; 16th February 2008 at 02:46 AM.

Anyone watched Bowling For Columbine?

Though criticised to be a tad skewed, i think it makes a good point when US was compared to Canada, where firearms are also legalised.

IIRC, the gun deaths of US was thousands compared to I think tens in Canada.

Societal pressure (of sorts) would be what causes one to do such things I guess, but I think ease of access also contributes to the overall problem. Hence, if I were to choose, I'd think it's society and upbringing that's the main problem. Gun rights and ease of access add on to it.

With an intent to kill, massacre or commit genocide, not having a gun won't stop things, it just changes the method hence effectiveness and efficiency. And I think mowing people down with an automobile can produce more awe inspiring numbers.

Maybe there's something more satisfying about using a firearm, some psychological trigger or statement that is subconsciously made. Maybe it's just cooler to kill with a gun then to run people down.

OTing a little, but yeah...
    Last edited by dreamzcape; 16th February 2008 at 03:03 AM.
    flickr me here ;)

Quote Originally Posted by dotaboy View Post
    Instead of focusing on the weapon,why not the nation do some charecter development?
    If that can be done, Singapore would have already been a gracious society long ago.

U probably can educate majority of the people, but there will always be some unexpected odd cases out there that u can do nothing about. U might not even know it until they do something massive and stupid.

That's why allowing weapons in US is still a major contributor of such tragedies.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

well, i could effectively kill everybody in the swimming pool (how big is that?) if i threw in some high voltage appliance.

even faster than gun leh, that one still need to shoot and aim to kill.

or i can just mow down people on the road with my car. or i can just sneak into the school canteen and light the gas stoves happily, literally burning the school down. i'm sure some people would die.

the people with the intent to kill will be able to find a gun somehow. what you do do, when you ban them in a country which is not quite as well-administered safety-wise like america, along with its culture, is send out the message to people that only the ones with the ability to offend, not defend will have the means to obtain the ability to injure and kill. and then what happens?

the root of the problem lies with the mind. in singapore, we ban guns, there are still murders happening. no mass massacre, but i suspect that's probably to do with the effectiveness of the heavy punishments meted out and the relative tameness of singaporeans
    Many of those shooters already have the intent to kill themselves when they carry out the act. They are just like suicide bombers, so the heavy punishments probably dun apply here.
    If the shooter didn't commit suicide but get caught, I'm sure he will also face severe prosecution in the US.

The ways u mentioned can kill some people too of course, but they are not so easy to carry out. And nothing can bring urself down as clean and swiftly as a shot in ur own head.

I like to remind everyone to keep their comments civilised . In any place where there are people, there are bound to have BOTH good people and bad eggs. Focused on the topic and do not 一竿子打翻一船人 .

Last edited by contaxable; 4th March 2008 at 08:52 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast