Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blown highlights at the zoo

Default Re: Blown highlights at the zoo

Quote Originally Posted by cimman View Post
    very nice pics. I see that you have cropped the pics so that it is zoomed to an area where the shadows are not messing up the pics. That's a thought. Most of my pics are wide angle, so can see shadows and sunlit areas.
    Not cropped. I used a longer focal length lens to capture closer view shots.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

so looks like the Fuji camera would be the next in line for the upgrade bug. So much for the E3 for the next in line, though I do like the feel of the E1, very comfortable and  solid.

You first must understand DR limitations of sensors as compared to the human eye, else even with the S5pro, you are going to blow highlights all the same.

The human eye typically can distinguish 20+ stops of DR within the same scene; digital sensors generally do around 9 to 11 stops.

Believe me, it ain't the camera.
    Last edited by drakon09; 16th February 2008 at 11:38 PM.

Not to hijack the thread, but today I saw a nice example for high-contrast scenes while walking in Kampong Gelam. The first two pictures demonstrate how much difference it can make to just wait a tiny bit until a thin cloud obscured the sun:

bright sunlight, contrast "as is" (gamma=1)

30 seconds later: slightly cloudy, contrast "as is" (gamma=1)

The following pictures show how much more the contrast can be reduced with minimal processing (this even may already be too much):

cloudy, but processed with a lower gamma (reducing contrast)

cloudy, reduced gamma, contrast reducing mask

And here's the first picture with some minimal processing (the contrast is already a bit too low for my taste here).

bright sunlight, reduced gamma, contrast reducing mask

I hope this shows that there are quite straightforward ways to deal with contrast, either before the picture is taken or by minimal processing. If one were to invest a bit more patience in waiting for the right conditions, or more effort into processing, it could certainly be made even better.

Very good example Littlewolf, thanks for taking the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but today I saw a nice example for high-contrast scenes while walking in Kampong Gelam. The first two pictures demonstrate how much difference it can make to just wait a tiny bit until a thin cloud obscured the sun:

bright sunlight, contrast "as is" (gamma=1)

30 seconds later: slightly cloudy, contrast "as is" (gamma=1)

The following pictures show how much more the contrast can be reduced with minimal processing (this even may already be too much):

cloudy, but processed with a lower gamma (reducing contrast)

cloudy, reduced gamma, contrast reducing mask

And here's the first picture with some minimal processing (the contrast is already a bit too low for my taste here).

bright sunlight, reduced gamma, contrast reducing mask

I hope this shows that there are quite straightforward ways to deal with contrast, either before the picture is taken or by minimal processing. If one were to invest a bit more patience in waiting for the right conditions, or more effort into processing, it could certainly be made even better.
    thanks for the pics Little Wolf. Really helps to illustrate how to tackle the wide dynamic range issue. I'll experiment with lowering the gamma and contrast settings on my camera.

I'll experiment with lowering the gamma and contrast settings on my camera.
    I'd suggest to record raw data and do all processing on the computer for maximum flexibility. In-camera processed JPEGs tie you down to whatever settings you chose, with comparably little leeway for later adjustments if you're not happy with the out-of-camera results.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123