Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Need help! F -- signs

  1. #1

    Unhappy Need help! F -- signs

    Hi guys, I bumped into this problem recently.

    No matter which mode i switch to, the screen shows a blinking F -- and when I press the shutter, the right side (which usually displays the number of shots left) shows r13.

    Can't take any pictures )):. What is the problem I'm facing?

    Thanks in advance!
    carpe diem!

  2. #2
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: Need help! F -- signs

    What lens are you using? If it has an aperture ring, turn the ring to the highest aperture number. If not, try mounting the lens again with the camera switched off.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Need help! F -- signs

    Detach the lens and check on any damage on the contact. Attach it back again. If your lens has manual aperture selection, remember to turn it to min and lock it.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Need help! F -- signs

    hi there.. i also face this problem once during my CNY holiday...
    cannot do anything wit it and cannot even shoot
    but after few sec .. dun know what happen.. it become normal again..
    so.. do any1 know the reason for this??
    i just got my D80 last month..
    and it worry me alot.. even now is ok d..
    any bro and sis out there can give some advice??

    P.S: i am using kit lens (18-135)

  5. #5

    Default Re: Need help! F -- signs

    Quote Originally Posted by sherwoei View Post
    Detach the lens and check on any damage on the contact. Attach it back again. If your lens has manual aperture selection, remember to turn it to min and lock it.
    Not switching to minimum aperture will usually show FEE instead of F--. Check to see if you have mounted the lens properly with a click sound.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Need help! F -- signs

    Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    What lens are you using? If it has an aperture ring, turn the ring to the highest aperture number. If not, try mounting the lens again with the camera switched off.
    I am using 18-135mm kit lens. Erm what's aperture ring?

    Quote Originally Posted by sherwoei View Post
    Detach the lens and check on any damage on the contact. Attach it back again. If your lens has manual aperture selection, remember to turn it to min and lock it.
    Hi how do I lock it? I don't dare to detach lens, dust will enter right? I've no blower or anything to clean off the dusts if that happens ):

    Quote Originally Posted by likimikuku View Post
    hi there.. i also face this problem once during my CNY holiday...
    cannot do anything wit it and cannot even shoot
    but after few sec .. dun know what happen.. it become normal again..
    so.. do any1 know the reason for this??
    i just got my D80 last month..
    and it worry me alot.. even now is ok d..
    any bro and sis out there can give some advice??

    P.S: i am using kit lens (18-135)
    Yea, same problem!

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Not switching to minimum aperture will usually show FEE instead of F--. Check to see if you have mounted the lens properly with a click sound.
    Hi I turn the knob to M then back to AF, heard a click sound and I think it works cos after tt the screen displays the metering and has the AF-S there.



    But is this method correct? Dun wanna risk spoiling the lens and camera.

    Thanks
    carpe diem!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Need help! F -- signs

    Quote Originally Posted by msbinary View Post
    I am using 18-135mm kit lens. Erm what's aperture ring?

    Hi how do I lock it? I don't dare to detach lens, dust will enter right? I've no blower or anything to clean off the dusts if that happens ):

    Yea, same problem!

    Hi I turn the knob to M then back to AF, heard a click sound and I think it works cos after tt the screen displays the metering and has the AF-S there.
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...g/IMG_1212.jpg
    But is this method correct? Dun wanna risk spoiling the lens and camera.

    Thanks
    Don't worry about the aperture ring because the lens in question doesn't have one.

    It may be because when you mounted the lens the locking pin did not sit in properly. You might also hear the click sound if you turned the lens a bit more. Switching to M and back to A disengages and re-engages the AF drive shaft which might have caused a small movement and cause the locking pin to go in place. It should not matter though because the lens doesn't need to use the mechanical AF coupling.

    Maybe you can try unmounting the lens and mounting it again to have a feel for the click when you mount it. Next time when you mount lenses make sure you hear the click, otherwise you have not turned enough.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Need help! F -- signs

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Don't worry about the aperture ring because the lens in question doesn't have one.

    It may be because when you mounted the lens the locking pin did not sit in properly. You might also hear the click sound if you turned the lens a bit more. Switching to M and back to A disengages and re-engages the AF drive shaft which might have caused a small movement and cause the locking pin to go in place. It should not matter though because the lens doesn't need to use the mechanical AF coupling.

    Maybe you can try unmounting the lens and mounting it again to have a feel for the click when you mount it. Next time when you mount lenses make sure you hear the click, otherwise you have not turned enough.


    I didn't got the chance to mount this Nikon lens, the person at the shop mount it for me. And i have only this set of lens to start with at the moment, so is it wise to unmount it? Won't dust enter the sensor?

    I've tried mounting and unmounting my friend's Canon 400D lenses before, the click is the same for all DSLRs ba?

    carpe diem!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Need help! F -- signs

    Quote Originally Posted by msbinary View Post


    I didn't got the chance to mount this Nikon lens, the person at the shop mount it for me. And i have only this set of lens to start with at the moment, so is it wise to unmount it? Won't dust enter the sensor?

    I've tried mounting and unmounting my friend's Canon 400D lenses before, the click is the same for all DSLRs ba?

    Hmm... someone might have accidentally pressed the lens release button but did not remove the lens.

    It's ok to remove the lens, not much dust will get in unless you're in a dusty environment.

    The click should be about the same except the direction is opposite.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    East side
    Posts
    3,704

    Default Re: Need help! F -- signs

    Just to add, the "r13" actually shows the remaining shots the camera buffer can take, should you shoot in continuous mode.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Need help! F -- signs

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Hmm... someone might have accidentally pressed the lens release button but did not remove the lens.

    It's ok to remove the lens, not much dust will get in unless you're in a dusty environment.

    The click should be about the same except the direction is opposite.
    Oh, the lens release button. Maybe its me or my friend who accidentally pressed it.
    Hmm got your point..

    Quote Originally Posted by huggable View Post
    Just to add, the "r13" actually shows the remaining shots the camera buffer can take, should you shoot in continuous mode.
    Hey thanks, I was still figuring out what r13 means.
    carpe diem!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Need help! F -- signs

    Quote Originally Posted by msbinary View Post
    Oh, the lens release button. Maybe its me or my friend who accidentally pressed it.
    Hmm got your point..
    u dun actually have to take the lens off. just hold down the lens release button, then turn the lens abt 45deg anti-clockwise, and then 45deg clockwise back to original position or until u hear 'click' sound

  13. #13

    Default Re: Need help! F -- signs

    Quote Originally Posted by 2.8photography View Post
    u dun actually have to take the lens off. just hold down the lens release button, then turn the lens abt 45deg anti-clockwise, and then 45deg clockwise back to original position or until u hear 'click' sound
    Thank you for the tip (:

    I am still facing the F -- blinking every now and then..
    carpe diem!

  14. #14
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Need help! F -- signs

    Quote Originally Posted by msbinary View Post
    Thank you for the tip (:

    I am still facing the F -- blinking every now and then..
    Check the lens mount. Is it mounted properly. Also unmount the lens and check if the aperture lever is bent. It could also be a reason.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  15. #15

    Default Re: Need help! F -- signs

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Check the lens mount. Is it mounted properly. Also unmount the lens and check if the aperture lever is bent. It could also be a reason.
    I've mount and unmount the lens for a couple of times, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.



    Erm what is tt?

    Was it supposed to be lock or something, because I'm always accidentally turning it, does that contributes to the F-- signals?
    Last edited by msbinary; 22nd February 2008 at 11:43 AM.
    carpe diem!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Need help! F -- signs

    that thing cannot lock de.. its for u to focus when u use switch to M.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Need help! F -- signs

    Quote Originally Posted by happyepower View Post
    that thing cannot lock de.. its for u to focus when u use switch to M.
    so its okie to just let it be accidentally 'fiddled' and 'turned' when im using other modes?
    carpe diem!

  18. #18
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Need help! F -- signs

    Can I take a look at a picture of the lens mount? The rear of the lens.

    You are using a G lens which does not have an aperture ring, so you will not encounter the FEE issue. But F-- is tat the camera cannot engage the lever properly. Either it's mounted loosely or the lever is bent and unable to be engaged by the camera.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  19. #19

    Default Re: Need help! F -- signs

    Hi zac08,

    Do I have to unmount the lens?

    Can only upload the picture tonight. ):
    carpe diem!

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,256

    Default Re: Need help! F -- signs

    the nikon 18-135 is commonly know to have the mount problem..
    chezburgr i can haz?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •