Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Cylindrical box for tripod ???

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    69

    Default Cylindrical box for tripod ???

    Hi ...

    Does anyone know where a cylindrical box big enough to hold a tripod can be bought? Should be made of thick cardboard i think ...

    I saw some in the post office but they are too small ...

    Need the box so that I can place my tripod inside my check-in luaggage (65 lites bag)

  2. #2

    Default

    Why don't you just plastic bag and put it straight in? A cylinder would be extra air and take up more space.

  3. #3
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Asylum, Ward 4444
    Posts
    2,095

    Default Re: Cylindrical box for tripod ???

    Originally posted by Willy
    Hi ...

    Does anyone know where a cylindrical box big enough to hold a tripod can be bought? Should be made of thick cardboard i think ...

    I saw some in the post office but they are too small ...

    Need the box so that I can place my tripod inside my check-in luaggage (65 lites bag)
    Must it be cylinderical? I still have my Manfrotto 055pro box with me.
    No use for it. U want?
    I stay in the East like u.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Actually i also have my tripod box with me ...
    but i have already used it for a few trips and the cardboard is the "thin" type .... so it has sort of detriorated

    "Must it be cylinderical?"

    Actually no need to be cylindrical lar ... but u noe those cylindrical type are made with "tougher" cardboard ....

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Originally posted by MoriMori
    Why don't you just plastic bag and put it straight in? A cylinder would be extra air and take up more space.
    wun it get damaged ?

  6. #6

    Default

    Nah, I used to strap my cheapo no brand tripod to the outside of my 65 litre. Of course its not a $2++ Manfrotto or Gitzo so if it makes you feel better, by all means get a box.

    I'd say tripods will take quite a bit of baggage handler abuse, only thing is I'd take off the head and hand carry it while the legs go check in.

  7. #7
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Asylum, Ward 4444
    Posts
    2,095

    Default

    The box Manfrotto supplied is quite thick & study.
    U want? Can give u.

    Mori Mori, u bought the tripod from me izzit? How izzit?

  8. #8

    Default

    So far so good, going to test at BG on sat.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Originally posted by markccm
    The box Manfrotto supplied is quite thick & study.
    U want? Can give u.

    Mori Mori, u bought the tripod from me izzit? How izzit?
    ok ... tkx ... will pm u ..

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    4,026

    Default My thoughts....

    Hi there,

    I personally feel that you should just wrap the tripod with some fabric like towels and cloths so that in cases of he immigration request for a check, then you will not have to take out the whole "tube" out.

    I personally use a towel which is can slide it aside to show the customs officer.

    regards,
    sulhan

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    I just stuff the thing among towels and clothes like sulhan mentioned into the luggage and check it in. Tried with a velbon and a Gitzo G01, no problems.

    Regards
    CK

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang
    I just stuff the thing among towels and clothes like sulhan mentioned into the luggage and check it in. Tried with a velbon and a Gitzo G01, no problems.

    Regards
    CK
    Tkx, will keep this in mind, *last resort*

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •