Thread: Not in NY

Default Not in NY

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Any kind of critique is welcome but I will appreciate if the comment is related to photography.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I'm hoping for a good picture.

3. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I'm happy with it, but I felt I could have done better or at least tried. I also dont like the clouds at the left side.

I removed one of the question since I honestly don't know how to answer it.

Default Re: Not in NY

you have chosen a nice strong subject in the statue of liberty, placed at the right third of the frame for good impact. the directional late afternoon light gives the photo a warm and 3-dimensional feel. personally i would have preferred to crop away the foreground and to give the photo a more panoramic feel. this would help to emphasise the prominence of the main subject (statue) even more by de-emphasising the large pedestal it stands on, and also place the skyline at the bottom third of the frame. i would also suggest increasing the exposure slightly so that the facial features of the statue are more defined. i have taken the liberty (pun not intended) to edit your photo to illustrate these suggestions.
    [IMG][/IMG]

to add on to zaren's critique, had the picture been originally framed like this, a great deal of sky could've been included to add a sense of vastness.

odaiba i believe? wonderful place.

zaren, thanks for your suggestion.I did not thought about it but I like you suggestion.

schon, yes, I framed it like that since I was afraid that if I tilt my lens upward, the statue might look as if it was leaning. It was also quite cold that day so maybe I was also too eager to go inside (hehe it was my first time in cold country) that is why I did not experiment. And yes it was odaiba.

nice colours you've got there.
    "We will see Him, coming down the clouds from heaven... In Majesty"