Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: Professional versus Amateur

  1. #21
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Professional versus Amateur

    there are good Professionals and lousy Professionals, so are the Amateurs.

    If he/she is good, will be promoted or stay in the business for many years.

    If he/she is not, soon will be history.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  2. #22
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Professional versus Amateur

    Yep, so there's no such thing as "go to a professional instead of an amateur if you want reliablity" as what many full time photographers try to say. The correct adage should be "Go to a Good professional or a Good Amateur if you want reliabliity" - hence removing the distinction between professional and amateur, and replacing it with good and lousy.

    Im sure however that there are lousy professionals who are still in the market, either serving customers with lower expectations, or content with disposable customers (ie con once and then byebye, then look for fresh meat).

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    there are good Professionals and lousy Professionals, so are the Amateurs.

    If he/she is good, will be promoted or stay in the business for many years.

    If he/she is not, soon will be history.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Professional versus Amateur

    Quote Originally Posted by lightbrush View Post
    Views anyone? Btw, I am not a pro....just a voice in the wilderness
    Professional = do it for money.
    Amateur = do it for passion.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Professional versus Amateur

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Professional = do it for money.
    Amateur = do it for passion.
    what if one has both agendas?

    promateur?
    or amassional?

  5. #25

    Default Re: Professional versus Amateur

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    what if one has both agendas?

    promateur?
    or amassional?
    Semi-Pro. Maybe "Pro with a Passion", "Amateur with an Agenda"?
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 15th February 2008 at 02:09 PM.

  6. #26
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Professional versus Amateur

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Yep, so there's no such thing as "go to a professional instead of an amateur if you want reliablity" as what many full time photographers try to say. The correct adage should be "Go to a Good professional or a Good Amateur if you want reliabliity" - hence removing the distinction between professional and amateur, and replacing it with good and lousy.

    Im sure however that there are lousy professionals who are still in the market, either serving customers with lower expectations, or content with disposable customers (ie con once and then byebye, then look for fresh meat).
    perhaps they are very good in marketing and PR?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station B1-48.
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: Professional versus Amateur

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Semi-Pro. Maybe "Pro with a Passion", "Amateur with an Agenda"?


    Amateur - 10% or less out of 100 shots, spends 90% of time on Photoshop.
    Most do it for fun, few do it for fund.
    Nobody expect trouble untill money is used as a measurement or value.

    Pro - 50% to 90% out of 100 shots, spends 10% (or nothing) of effort with Photoshop.
    Few do it for fun, all do it for fund.
    None expect trouble untill a demanding client demands value for money.

    Money is the evil.
    just1book, no kidding!

  8. #28
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Professional versus Amateur

    The bolded statements seem to be bare assertions and a broad brush approach without either empirical or statistical evidence to support them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Winsonapm View Post


    Amateur - 10% or less out of 100 shots, spends 90% of time on Photoshop.

    Most do it for fun, few do it for fund.
    Nobody expect trouble untill money is used as a measurement or value.

    Pro - 50% to 90% out of 100 shots, spends 10% (or nothing) of effort with Photoshop.
    Few do it for fun, all do it for fund.
    None expect trouble untill a demanding client demands value for money.

    Money is the evil.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Professional versus Amateur

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    The bolded statements seem to be bare assertions and a broad brush approach without either empirical or statistical evidence to support them.
    agree.

    ironical thing is...sometimes i see amateurs' pics are much better than those by pro's...

  10. #30

    Default Re: Professional versus Amateur

    Read this article, exactly fits to this discussion.

    Maybe after this opinion you will prefer to stay amateurs

  11. #31

    Default Re: Professional versus Amateur

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    agree.

    ironical thing is...sometimes i see amateurs' pics are much better than those by pro's...
    Because they are fuelled by passion.

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station B1-48.
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: Professional versus Amateur

    The term “Professional Photographer” had been loosely used to describe an individual in the photography profession.
    Lots of points are essential for a professional, but are generally based on,
    1) quality/standard,
    2) service and ethic,
    3) main source of income or solely depended on it for a living, etc.

    Class 1 is all of the above,
    Class 2 is pt 2 & 3 of the above, ok quality,
    Class 3 may only have pt 3, probably ok quality, no exceptional service and ok ethic,
    No Class or Low Class, no frill, questionable quality and ethic.

    Racehorses are categorized into divisions and classes, div1 class 1 to Amateur classes.
    Some started in the lower div and rose to the top, some started at the top and ended at lower div.
    All can run, few winners. Best of the best, “no horse run” but still have losers.

    Day rate ranged from $500 to $50,000, minimum or no screw-up is expected.
    It’s generally perceived that the higher the price, the better the “professionalism”, not necessarily true but an expectation.
    Money is used as a yardstick to measure or qualify all of the above.
    just1book, no kidding!

  13. #33
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Professional versus Amateur

    Well as mentioned by another poster, it could be because the amateur has the luxury to spend the time and effort to wait for a good shot, or post process a good shot, since economies are irrelevant to him.

    For the professional, he has no choice but to make sure that he gets fair value for his shots.

    By way of example, if a shot is worth S$500 for example. The amateur may choose to spend even S$2,000 worth of time and resources to get that shot, simply because of his passion and drive. The professional on the other hand, cannot spend more than S$500 of time and resources simply because it is no longer profitable to do so.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    agree.

    ironical thing is...sometimes i see amateurs' pics are much better than those by pro's...

  14. #34

    Default Re: Professional versus Amateur

    so much debate over a profession....next time just call them full time, part time or casual photogs can liao la

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •