Thread: Now Australians block 39th 'International Round'!!!

Default Now Australians block 39th 'International Round'!!!

The proposed international round of Premier League matches has received a further blow with Football Federation Australia (FFA) joining in the chorus saying they would not support the concept.

The Premier League are exploring a plan that would see an extra 10 fixtures played every January from the 2010-11 season onwards, extending the domestic campaign to 39 games.

A number of cities around the world have been mooted as possible destinations to stage the 10 matches - particularly in North America, Asia and Australia.

But the plans have not received the wholesale approval the Premier League will have hoped for, with national and regional associations including the United States Soccer Federation and the Asian Football Confederation voicing their opposition to the plans.

FFA are the latest to indicate their concerns, with chairman Frank Lowy saying he saw no great benefit to Australia hosting any Premier League matches and reiterating the association's priorities were with the continuing development of the A-League.

'We said when this issue first arose last week that FFA's overwhelming priority is to promote the Hyundai A-League and to continue to invest in, and grow, the game in Australia,' Lowy said.

'That remains our view.'

Lowy said any move to play a Premier League game in Australia would be seen as an intrusion on the local product.

'The bottom line is, FFA rejects the notion of another country playing a round of their domestic competition in Australia and intruding on the development of the Hyundai A-League and the game in Australia,' added Lowy.

Chief executive Ben Buckley backed Lowy but admitted FFA are still keen to stage exhibition matches in Australia involving teams from Europe.

'However, our overriding objective is to build equity in the Hyundai A-League and everything we do is assessed against that objective,' said Buckley.
    39th Game how are they determining who will be playing against who?

Default Re: Now Australians block 39th 'International Round'!!!

Whelan questions value of Premier League plan

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan is undecided over plans to play Premier League games in cities around the world.

Whelan has also claimed several other chairman are not fully behind the Premier League's plan to play a 39th fixture on foreign soil from the 2010/2011 season.

Whelan told the Daily Express: 'I am sitting on the fence, I am not condemning it but neither am I condoning it and I know quite a few chairmen feel the same way.

'We want more answers to an awful lot of questions. We want to hear what the Premier League have to say about our questions and we want to look long and hard at the answers when we get them.

'We have been told that we can expect 4million per club - maybe 4.5million. But we all know that money is going to go straight to players - and their agents - demanding ever more the more money clubs make.

'You hear managers say that they don't want another game and you hear them also saying they can do without international games, such as friendlies, so we have to ask ourselves, is it really worth it?'

The Football Association will get the first chance to quiz the Premier League over the plans at today's meeting of the FA's Professional Game Board.

The PGB is chaired by Football League chairman Lord Brian Mawhinney and also includes Premier League chairman Sir David Richards and chief executive Richard Scudamore.

Default Re: Now Australians block 39th 'International Round'!!!

AFC chief against Premier League games in Asia

Asian Football Confederation president Mohammed bin Hammam has firmly rejected the idea of the Premier League staging games in Asia.

The Premier League last week announced an ambitious plan to play an extra 'international round' of matches in January from the 2010-11 season, extending the campaign to 39 games.
    Several cities in Asia have been proposed as possible destinations to host some of the 10 fixtures, but Bin Hammam was unequivocal in his stance that he would not endorse a proposal which was detrimental to Asian domestic leagues.

'I always welcome the exchange of knowledge and expertise between foreign football associations and clubs, and support matches organised between AFC and other confederations which benefit the development of our clubs here in Asia,' he said in a statement.

'But at the present time, I can't see the wisdom in the proposed plans.

'My recommendation to the AFC executive committee would be to reject any initiatives of this nature.

'And we would urge the AFC member associations to protect their own national leagues and clubs within their territories. This is our position.

'With relation to the overall principle, it is my belief that it is not a good idea to organise domestic leagues in territories other than their own.'

Bin Hammam also mooted the idea that if the scheme does become a reality, other countries should be allowed to do the same in England.

'If this principle is accepted, then the FA Premier League must accept reciprocal arrangements within their own territory.'

The AFC forced Manchester United to cancel a proposed friendly in Malaysia last summer because of a clash with the Asian Cup, which the country was co-hosting.

The Football Association's Professional Game Board were due to meet today when the proposed 39th round of fixtures was due to be discussed.