Thread: Mac or PC?

Default Mac or PC?

hi,just wanted to seek some opinions...which is preferable to use for photoediting works and design works? A MAC or PC laptop?i'm quite a newbie on PP's,just wondrin' if it's worth investing on either of the above mentioned gears.Thx

Default Re: Mac or PC?

Depends on your usage. If you used to PC, then just get a PC.

Buying a MAC does not mean your photo editing skills will be better. Same to PC too.

I am using both PC and MAC. Both have it's advantages and disadvantages.

The only differance i can see is the short cut keys.

Have a big budget to spend, then by all means get a MAC which will cost you at least a base price of about 4,000-5,000 (without the software). PC is much cheaper with almost the same specs.

You might check this thread in Kopitiam but there are others.

I've used both extensively and I've found Adobe products to have odd little problems on Windows 2000 and Windows XP, but with CS3, they seem to have odd little problems on Mac OS X also.

Both the same if u use similar software i.e.: Photoshop on Windows and Photoshop on Mac.

as above,

how big's your wallet?

and also, are you willing to go all out to spend on software?

I think importance is not so much on how much one is willing to spend but how familiar one is to a particular system... have worked on Photoshop with Macs and Windows PCs before and do not see any significant advantage from either system...

Other than the short cut keys which I personally find more friendly in Mac, I guess the other difference is the screen. I tend to like the colours on a Mac screen better.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Other than the short cut keys which I personally find more friendly in Mac, I guess the other difference is the screen. I tend to like the colours on a Mac screen better.
    a properly profiled screen should look the same... some might profile Mac screens to a gamma of 1.8, which would cause the screen to be brighter/more vibrant, but the standard with respect to printing and optimisation of screen colours especially for LCD screens seems to be a gamma of 2.2 nowadays...

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    a properly profiled screen should look the same... some might profile Mac screens to a gamma of 1.8, which would cause the screen to be brighter/more vibrant, but the standard with respect to printing and optimisation of screen colours especially for LCD screens seems to be a gamma of 2.2 nowadays...
    I guess in my case, most of my clients are using Mac and what look OK on my screen is usually more of less the same on their screen. Colours between a lab printed image are also close to my screen and I just use the build in profile for my screen.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

whatever works for the individual ... I have dealt with clients on both platforms as well as different expertise levels so I prefer to work the way I do... so at the end of the day, selecting which OS is up to individual familiarity and preference

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    whatever works for the individual ... I have dealt with clients on both platforms as well as different expertise levels so I prefer to work the way I do... so at the end of the day, selecting which OS is up to individual familiarity and preference
    Yeap, agreed with this.

ok,thanks for all the help with opinions..i guess will try to test a mac and compare with my pc. then decide whether to change or not.

Buy a mac, run bootcamp for xp.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    Buy a mac, run bootcamp for xp.
    I thought so too.
    A lot of incompatibilities regarding the USB with OSX.