Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Portraits with 28-135mm?

  1. #1

    Default Portraits with 28-135mm?

    I have the 28 135 canon lens. i am interested in taking portraits , wats the best setting to use with this lens? to get a good image ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Portraits with 28-135mm?

    Quote Originally Posted by naresh666 View Post
    I have the 28 135 canon lens. i am interested in taking portraits , wats the best setting to use with this lens? to get a good image ?
    Depending on what kind of composition u want to achieve. Usually open up your aperture to its widest and shoot. But if u want to compose your subject with a scenery or landscape, then u might want to stop down to f/5.6 and above. These are all very subjective.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Portraits with 28-135mm?

    ahh ok. i am lloking to take more close up shots. also is a flash really necassary?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Portraits with 28-135mm?

    Quote Originally Posted by naresh666 View Post
    ahh ok. i am lloking to take more close up shots. also is a flash really necassary?
    Usually fill-flash is necessary especially when your subject is backlit. Flash filling is also subjective cos it depends on the lighting conditions.

    There's no fixed way of taking portraitures so u've to experiment it yourself so in this way u'll learn. Practical is always better than theory.

    In another note, if u're very particular abt pic quality, then i suggest u use a prime lens to take portraits.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Portraits with 28-135mm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Usually fill-flash is necessary especially when your subject is backlit. Flash filling is also subjective cos it depends on the lighting conditions.

    There's no fixed way of taking portraitures so u've to experiment it yourself so in this way u'll learn. Practical is always better than theory.

    In another note, if u're very particular abt pic quality, then i suggest u use a prime lens to take portraits.

    ahh ok. thanks for the input. maybe i should practice more b4 plunging into a flash or prime lens.

  6. #6
    Member unseenshadows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marine Parade, Singapore
    Posts
    724

    Default Re: Portraits with 28-135mm?

    Consider a 50mm f/1.8. That's a good prime lens for portrait photos. ~$130

    I have the 28-135mm lens also. This lens produces good subject isolation at 135mm at f/5.6, though some might prefer a shorter focal length. You can try half-body/full-body photos at 28mm at f/4 also.
    I shoot film.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •