2. Original Nikon, Canon etc
    3. Hoya

Default Re: Close up filter

Quote Originally Posted by jfoo View Post
    the usual brands of filters available in sg in order of quality and price:

1. B&W
    2. Original Nikon, Canon etc
    3. Hoya
    1. B+W (locally very little stock, need to order from oversea, eg. B&H)
    2. Nikon (had stop production), Canon (depend of thread size, can cost up to S$200+)
    3. Hoya (cheapest and sold almost in every camera shop)

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    1. B+W (locally very little stock, need to order from oversea, eg. B&H)
    2. Nikon (had stop production), Canon (depend of thread size, can cost up to S$200+)
    3. Hoya (cheapest and sold almost in every camera shop)
    You can also try Raynox, I've seen good result delivered with it.
    There's local online store for it, or you can get from oversea.
    The good thing is it's clip-on type, so it can just attach easily onto a wide range of common thread size.
    Sony Alpha

ok..but raynox is ex rite? hmm...any idea how much is the price range?

Quote Originally Posted by undergrd View Post
    ok..but raynox is ex rite? hmm...any idea how much is the price range?
    In the range of $105 or so from the last MO I recalled in this forum.

Raynox 250

Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

ok...If to compare, any idea is the Raynox better or just the close up filter?

ok...If to compare, any idea is the Raynox better or just the close up filter?
    Raynox-250 should be a +8 or +10 close-up filter. Not sure how it performance compare with hoya. Most the macro shots by prosumer is using Raynox-250.

Personally i don't like high power close-up filter, i find that the edge is very soft and distortion is quite significant. That why i sold off my Raynox-250 after two field trip doing test shots, find it more suitable for prosumer than DSLR.

But close-up filter is a good way to start off macro without investing too much money.

Raynox-250 should be a +8 or +10 close-up filter. Not sure how it performance compare with hoya. Most the macro shots by prosumer is using Raynox-250.

Personally i don't like high power close-up filter, i find that the edge is very soft and distortion is quite significant. That why i sold off my Raynox-250 after two field trip doing test shots, find it more suitable for prosumer than DSLR.

But close-up filter is a good way to start off macro without investing too much money.
    ok...so after u sold off, what do u use to get close up macro?

ok...so after u sold off, what do u use to get close up macro?
    I workshoe lens for macro is 200mmf4. Get the Raynox-250 just to experiment the effect of this lens to achieve beyond 1:1.

Saw you at difference thread asking about effect about close-up filter. What lens are you intend to use with the close-up filter.

Miss your previous post, seem like you own a Tamron 90mm, what is the reason of getting a close-up filter?l

Miss your previous post, seem like you own a Tamron 90mm, what is the reason of getting a close-up filter?l
    I suspect beyond the 1:1 reproduction ratio..

in which case, I guess a extension tube would be better.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    I suspect beyond the 1:1 reproduction ratio..

in which case, I guess a extension tube would be better.
    Agreed, if using with your tamron 90mm for beyond 1:1, extension tube is a much better choice.

ya im using the Tamron 90mm. Wanted to get a close up filter cos I find that my object is v small after photography or maybe Im still new to macro and doesnt know how to take...

Agreed, if using with your tamron 90mm for beyond 1:1, extension tube is a much better choice.
    better choice in terms of the quality ah ?

Yes, extension tube is better in term of IQ, but with slight loss of light compare to close-up filter.

Subject very small, have you reach maximum reproduction of 1.1?
    If you haven't reach you maximum reproduction, it is useless for close-up filter or Extension tube, because both of this is helping you to decrease you minimum focusing distance.

Teleconverter in the other hand will magnify the subject like magnifying glass with the expense of loss of light and significant IQ.
    Last edited by Leong23; 14th February 2008 at 05:33 PM.

To have best IQ for macro, the solution is having prime macro lens. In order to get bigger magnification, you need higher focal length. But generally prime macro lens are relatively more expensive.

To have fast solution and cheap by utilizing existing resources, you can consider options by the following 2 principle for macro magnification:
    1. Lens focal length, the higher the bigger,
    2. Focusing distance, the shorter the bigger.

Usually the higher the focal length, the smaller the aperture, unless glass is big, which cost more. Similarly, if you use tele-converter on existing lens, you lost lights, generally 1 to 2 stops. Another way is to use extension tube, or there's such thing call macro-converter. They all works in slightly different by similar ways, but all losing lights as lens is further from camera. Also, your lens quality must have certain standard, because images are magnified after the lens, so as the defects if there's any.

Close-up filter helps to reduce focusing distance. The advantage is you get see things bigger and clearer in a natural way, and you get more lights. Of course, you will have problem if you cannot get so hear to the object, and you can no longer focus on the further distance. Reversing lens works in the similar principle.
    Sony Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by yannh View Post
    To have best IQ for macro, the solution is having prime macro lens. In order to get bigger magnification, you need higher focal length. But generally prime macro lens are relatively more expensive.

To have fast solution and cheap by utilizing existing resources, you can consider options by the following 2 principle for macro magnification:
    1. Lens focal length, the higher the bigger,
    2. Focusing distance, the shorter the bigger.

Usually the higher the focal length, the smaller the aperture, unless glass is big, which cost more. Similarly, if you use tele-converter on existing lens, you lost lights, generally 1 to 2 stops. Another way is to use extension tube, or there's such thing call macro-converter. They all works in slightly different by similar ways, but all losing lights as lens is further from camera. Also, your lens quality must have certain standard, because images are magnified after the lens, so as the defects if there's any.

Close-up filter helps to reduce focusing distance. The advantage is you get see things bigger and clearer in a natural way, and you get more lights. Of course, you will have problem if you cannot get so hear to the object, and you can no longer focus on the further distance. Reversing lens works in the similar principle.
    Correction.

All macro lenses, regardless of focal length will give the same magification. ie, my 200mm macro lens will have the same magification of 1:1 with your Tamron 90mm Macro.

The major advantage of a longer focal length is you have longer working distance hence reducing the chance of entering the circle of fear of the insect.

For aperture, 60-105mm Macro is f/2.8, 180mmf/3.5, 200mmf4. Never had of thing like fast telephone macro lens. 200mmf2.8 Marco?????

Extension tube is to create distance between the lense element and the sensor, hence reducing the minimum focusing distance, ie able to increase magnificant. The will not have signification drop in IQ with a expense of little light loss. But too much will cause diffraction.

Close-up filter is a glass element than reduce the minimum focus distance like extension tube. The major difference is no light loss at the expense of loss of sharpness at edges and distortion.

Teleconverter is to magnify the subject while maintaning the minimum focusing distance of the original lens. The magnication power will depend on the power of the TC, 1.4x, 1.7x 2x and 3x. Which will have the same amount step of light loss. eg 2xTC will have 2 step of light loss. The IQ will drop significantly with the use of TC, higher the power, more IQ is loss.
    Last edited by Leong23; 14th February 2008 at 11:23 PM.

hi guys, thanks for the info on every different accessories for the close up purposes...I guess each has their own pros and cons, so have to really think what I reali want...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12