Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: How do I achieve Lomo effect on a DSLR?

  1. #1

    Default How do I achieve Lomo effect on a DSLR?

    As above, would appreciate if someone can share on how I can achieve Lomo effect (where it's darker on the edges of the picture) on a DSLR? Is it only possible through photo editing?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: How do I achieve Lomo effect on a DSLR?

    You can d/l the photoshop action from here..
    http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm

    Here's what I did with the lomo action.....




  3. #3

    Default Re: How do I achieve Lomo effect on a DSLR?

    this is mine.


  4. #4

    Default Re: How do I achieve Lomo effect on a DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by daftmunky View Post
    As above, would appreciate if someone can share on how I can achieve Lomo effect (where it's darker on the edges of the picture) on a DSLR? Is it only possible through photo editing?

    Thanks in advance.
    you could stack filters until you get vignetting (that's what it's called, btw)

    but the lomo effect is MORE than just that, to be honest.

  5. #5

    Default Re: How do I achieve Lomo effect on a DSLR?

    Thanks a lot guys, just what I needed to know.

    Any more suggestions will be appreciated.

  6. #6

    Default Re: How do I achieve Lomo effect on a DSLR?

    Arrgh, dump your DSLR for the time being, steal/borrow/beg/buy a lomo and have fun

    Else i remember there's some filter that repilcate the work of film. i don't have it now, will update when i get to my desktop.

  7. #7

    Default Re: How do I achieve Lomo effect on a DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by leeter View Post
    Arrgh, dump your DSLR for the time being, steal/borrow/beg/buy a lomo and have fun

    Else i remember there's some filter that repilcate the work of film. i don't have it now, will update when i get to my desktop.
    Would be great if you can keep me updated. Thanks in advance.

  8. #8

    Default Re: How do I achieve Lomo effect on a DSLR?

    you'll have to do some sorta radial blur as well. hahhaha

  9. #9

    Default Re: How do I achieve Lomo effect on a DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    you could stack filters until you get vignetting (that's what it's called, btw)

    but the lomo effect is MORE than just that, to be honest.
    from the technical aspect Lomo effect = poor color reproduction, no detail, lens flare, light leak, out of focus (or no focus at all), totally wrong exposure... ...

    things that are usually undesirable becoming desirable = acquired taste = Lomo effect ?

    am i right ?
    Last edited by attap seed; 14th February 2008 at 03:50 AM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: How do I achieve Lomo effect on a DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by attap seed View Post
    from the technical aspect Lomo effect = poor color reproduction, no detail, lens flare, light leak, out of focus (or no focus at all), totally wrong exposure... ...

    things that are usually undesirable becoming desirable = acquired taste = Lomo effect ?

    am i right ?
    not really, i've seen some lomo pictures which are really sharp, with good exposure

    it's more of the concept that you don't care what you are shooting, just gauge with experience, and can shoot anything, no rules, nothing, not even composition though sometimes you can control it somewhat depending on camera. nothing to do with the result in the end, though of course if you get a good result it makes your day, seeing how there were, well, no nothings to start with.

  11. #11

    Default Re: How do I achieve Lomo effect on a DSLR?

    wah lao, very ZEN.

    sort of like,

    "we all journey toward an end, but in the end, its the journey that counts".

  12. #12

    Default Re: How do I achieve Lomo effect on a DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by attap seed View Post
    wah lao, very ZEN.

    sort of like,

    "we all journey toward an end, but in the end, its the journey that counts".
    Ya ..somewhat like Andy Warhol paintings. We have seen the subject(s) of his works a thousand times over, but the way the subject is depicted in the works - its makes us sit up and take notice once again.

    In the world of almost perfect image rendition of digital photography, seeing a Lomo picture is sometimes refreshing. We pause and take time out from our busy schedule and take a second look. I have just started playing with Lomo effect it is bringing me a sense of greater appreciation of the world around us. I share the following image, which i would ordinarily consider as less interesting before it was LOmo-ed. Hope you guys like it.

    A mundane red walled building in Little India : Lomo-ed

  13. #13

    Default Re: How do I achieve Lomo effect on a DSLR?

    vignettes on a lomo cameras are usually circular or oval-shaped with certain inconsistencies. there should be grains either fine or coarse. pictures are not sharp and there is a slight bit of motion blur + circular blur. and not all are in focus. focus are on random subjects. you might want to add light leaks. Some LC-A cameras have light leaks directly in the center. And photos are most of the time slightly over exposed.


  14. #14
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: How do I achieve Lomo effect on a DSLR?

    how about shooting with a wide angle converter to a fungus infested mono coated lens?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •