Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to charge for family portraiture

Default Re: How to charge for family portraiture

for portraits session charging a sitting fee method, usually only giving customer images proof to select photos to be enlarge and print, the customers does not have all the images after the job closed. so the sitting fee is not that high, but the prints are charging a premium.

most local portraits studio is adopting this method.

if you want to give away all images to customers, you have to price your service high enough, means you have already make your profit when you hand the CD to your customers. don't expect they will come back to you for making print enlargement.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Just sharing my recents outdoor shoot for family of 33 pax:

1. Sitting fee - $228.
    2. Weekend i charge another $100.
    3. Equipment like lightings = $250.
    4. Duration 2hrs max.

So intotal i charge $578.

The thing is i give all images back. As i also cover 8 smaller family and big family, they have to come back to me for bigger prints, so i earn some more there.

I dun believe in doing for fun, there is no fun when u dun charge for shoot like this, u screw up that's it.

When u charge, u will do better, as u will be pressure to do it good, and that's where u learn from mistake and the fun will come when u shoot.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    Just sharing my recents outdoor shoot for family of 33 pax:

1. Sitting fee - $228.
    2. Weekend i charge another $100.
    3. Equipment like lightings = $250.
    4. Duration 2hrs max.

So intotal i charge $578.

The thing is i give all images back. As i also cover 8 smaller family and big family, they have to come back to me for bigger prints, so i earn some more there.

I dun believe in doing for fun, there is no fun when u dun charge for shoot like this, u screw up that's it.

When u charge, u will do better, as u will be pressure to do it good, and that's where u learn from mistake and the fun will come when u shoot.
    how do you ensure that they have to go back to you for larger prints? do you only give them images that are good enough for 4R prints?

Base on the fact that nobody will wanna do it from the family, as some want print big, some small, some want afew different, so hassle, and they ask me for the print prices.

But importantly, nobody knows except 1 know, and he not free, still studying. Even they do it, they still need to know where to print big, and send for framing, all add together the price not low also, so eventually will come back, as we as photographers knows where and how to get it done.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Base on the fact that nobody will wanna do it from the family, as some want print big, some small, some want afew different, so hassle, and they ask me for the print prices.

But importantly, nobody knows except 1 know, and he not free, still studying. Even they do it, they still need to know where to print big, and send for framing, all add together the price not low also, so eventually will come back, as we as photographers knows where and how to get it done.
    icic..thanks!

there are different pricing models you can adopt:

1. charge a service fee which will cover your costs and time and earn from prints. medium to high possibility of orders and reprints.

2. charge a package fee with x number of shots inclusive. medium possibility of extra orders and reprints if each family already receives a print. high possibility of extra orders if you manage to get all the different families together for a shot.

3. charge a flat service fee and surrender all images. high possibility of you being 'abused' during the shooting session with all permutation of family mix. zero creativity from you after half an hour into the shoot. zero attitude from you after one hour into the shoot. and why? zero possibility of you making any extra income.

as with items 1 and 2 above, you will be more creative and businesslike in your thinking as you have the possibility of earning more by coming up with the permutations yourself.

Seriously, cannot charge low or do it free, as so many hrs and equipment involve.

Those who do it part time as photographers must take note the fact that charging low will not get u anywhere. Same goes to full timers, u will not see money if keep on charging low.

Reason charging low cos most afraid no job, competitions etc. So no fish prawns also good, this is bad excuses.

I started to charge higher abit and higher abit, as nobody will pity me when i grow old, with no money in my bank. I still need to send my kids to school, feed parents etc......so when i fail to do that, who pity me, clients????
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Seriously, cannot charge low or do it free, as so many hrs and equipment involve.

Those who do it part time as photographers must take note the fact that charging low will not get u anywhere. Same goes to full timers, u will not see money if keep on charging low.

Reason charging low cos most afraid no job, competitions etc. So no fish prawns also good, this is bad excuses.

I started to charge higher abit and higher abit, as nobody will pity me when i grow old, with no money in my bank. I still need to send my kids to school, feed parents etc......so when i fail to do that, who pity me, clients????
    Well said! We owe it to ourselves to make things happen!

Quote Originally Posted by jfoo View Post
    there are different pricing models you can adopt:

1. charge a service fee which will cover your costs and time and earn from prints. medium to high possibility of orders and reprints.

2. charge a package fee with x number of shots inclusive. medium possibility of extra orders and reprints if each family already receives a print. high possibility of extra orders if you manage to get all the different families together for a shot.

3. charge a flat service fee and surrender all images. high possibility of you being 'abused' during the shooting session with all permutation of family mix. zero creativity from you after half an hour into the shoot. zero attitude from you after one hour into the shoot. and why? zero possibility of you making any extra income.

as with items 1 and 2 above, you will be more creative and businesslike in your thinking as you have the possibility of earning more by coming up with the permutations yourself.
    There are numerous postings on this charging issue. All by aspirants or amateurs.
    I think this is a good guideline for pricing, part-timers or pros.
    1) Practice by bridal or photography shops.
    2) Practice by some wedding photographers, itís probably a norm, packages.
    3) Getting to be the standard now, a sad situation for art or money.
    just1book, no kidding!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12