Thread: Feedback on 3M Polarizing Lights ...

Default Feedback on 3M Polarizing Lights ...

Hi to all,

Thinking of getting a table lamp; would love to hear from users of the 3M ones ... are they really so good that they can command about 10 times the price of the cheap ones (less than S$20) which are found @ Ikea?

TIA!

Default Re: Feedback on 3M Polarizing Lights ...

I am interested to know too!

For some reason, when I inspect the display sets, I think that piece of plastic covering the light bulb is all there is that makes the difference.

I had been trying to justify the high cost for the past 2 years. Still cannot convince myself that it works. I remembered my primary school teacher says incandescent lamp is the best for eyes but its hot only.

I tried so many times to read under the 3M lamp but I still see reflections. Maybe inventing(or is there already one out there) a pair of polarizing reading glasses would be better.

Upz ... anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    I had been trying to justify the high cost for the past 2 years. Still cannot convince myself that it works. I remembered my primary school teacher says incandescent lamp is the best for eyes but its hot only.

I tried so many times to read under the 3M lamp but I still see reflections. Maybe inventing(or is there already one out there) a pair of polarizing reading glasses would be better.
    Read with a pair of polarised sunglasses? lol...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    I am interested to know too!

For some reason, when I inspect the display sets, I think that piece of plastic covering the light bulb is all there is that makes the difference.
    yes i think u r rite. wonder if can jus get a few large polarizing filter & attach to any reading lamp. made of glass for betta light transmission & some got multi-coated de leh...

Unless the surface is perfectly smooth and even at electron level, as soon as a polarised light hits a reflective surface, it gets scattered, thereby "de-polarised" to a certain extent, so you would still see some reflections/glare. Also do note that you should also have your ambient lights on so the polarising effect might be further reduced.

IIRC some strobe technique book I read actually uses sheet polariser on studio strobes, I wonder if such sheets are available in Sg, could be a cheaper DIY option.

However I do recommend using higher frequency (IIRC 100Hz or more) light source as reading light.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.