Thread: How best to convert a picture into a symbol in Photoshop?

Default How best to convert a picture into a symbol in Photoshop?

Hi guys....

Can anyone kindly share a workflow (step-by-step) on how best to convert a picture into a symbol?

For eg, I open an image in Photoshop showing a lateral view of a man crossing a street. I want to draw that as a symbol/sign. (I'm not artistically inclined, so I assume this way would be faster as I can trace the outline rather than draw from scratch. Hope I'm right! )

I truly appreciate your help!! thanks very much

Blog Entries

Default Re: How best to convert a picture into a symbol in Photoshop?

use a illustration application
    and do an autotrace

for more info, consult the application's help menu

how are you going to use the symbol you create?... in photoshop?...

what you can start with is to plot a path around the image outline with the pen tool (use path mode as it is easier to see the outline)... and save the path plotted by renaming it... then you can create a new layer with the path turned into a shape...

i appreciate it but i get only a vague idea....

maybe t's too troublesome to post all the instructions here. anyone can recommend any good books that deal more with drawings using photoshop? so far, most of the stuffs i read are for photo editing...

thanks a lot!

Use Abobe Illustrator or Freehand, they're easier to use. They have tutorials under the help section.

If you have no idea how to use the program, it's better to print out the picture, outline the logo by hand (or cut it out), and scan it back in, and paint it black. If it's meant to be printed as a logo for namecards and such, make sure that it's of high res, or pay the printing shop to trace the logo for u into a path.

Illustrator, freehand, or at least Flash. Much easier and effective to start off then using photoshop.