Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sikkim in June or July

Default Re: Sikkim in June or July

some information in the mass mail to be shared here.

1. whether to trek to highland, or to do short day treks, or not to trek at all, will depend on the wish of those who got more or less committed to the trip.

2. trekking up to highland will take at least 6-7 days using a rather conversative ascent meant for not so fit people.

day 1 settle in yuksom (part of ground travel)
    day 2 yuksom (1780m) to bakhim (2740m)
    day 3 bakhim (2740m) to tsokha (3050m)
    day 4 tsokha (3050m) to pethang (3650m)
    day 5 pethang (3650m) to dzongri (4025m)
    day 6 dzongri
    day 7 dzongri down to tsoka
    day 8 tsoka down to yuksom

3. expectation of types of shots by height.
    http://www.myhimalayas.com/goechela/image/index.htm

4. rough cost estimation
    flight to calcutta: when i last went to delhi, both delhi and calcutta is about $600+.
    flight from calcutta to siliguri entering sikkim: probably abt $100+ (considered if we need to rush for time for trek), but an overnite train might be a safer, cheaper, more convinient but more tiring option.
    trekking: US$30-50 per porter per day, trekking packages from a few agents are all with itinerary but no prices quoted, can only engage with them for quotes when we have a number of person confirmed.
    accomodation: looks like about $10-15 per day per room.
    food: very cheap.
    transport: cheap for public transport, and affordable for chartered transport if the group number is optimal.
    a rough estimate is about 1K if no trekking, 1.5K if trekking highland.

no pressure for anyone to commit, but of cos the earlier one can got committed to with your preferences expressed, it is easier to shape the overview of the trip.
    anyway, from the original details, most likely july is out becos of the monsoon. early june is still good as the meadows may still be seen if we trek up to dzongri.

think i will finalise by late march (will make it good to go if there is at least 3 in the group). if all goes bad, i may just cancel it and spend a sedentary trip in jeju myself.... and see if i can look for something better in october (if i still have leave left).

cheers
    Last edited by zoossh; 16th February 2008 at 12:23 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12