Thread: spore skyline

Default spore skyline

i know, this is a scene literally being shot to death . but i just want a copy myself.

i did a long exposure at iso 100, but find lots of noise in the picture, especially in the sky. is this normal?

pls advise. thks .

Deregistered

Default Re: spore skyline

Quote Originally Posted by attap seed View Post

i know, this is a scene literally being shot to death . but i just want a copy myself.

i did a long exposure at iso 100, but find lots of noise in the picture, especially in the sky. is this normal?

pls advise. thks .
    is it me or do i find the pic cold?

Quote Originally Posted by dotaboy View Post
    is it me or do i find the pic cold?
    i find it weird.

no, that's not noise in the sky. that's most probably due to JPEG compressionm since it has problems with dynamic range (differentiating different shades of blue). Are you using the basic or lowest picture quality as your setting?
    high iso noise would look speckly like this http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/com...cles-night.jpg

http://www.cameratown.com/guides/assets/iso_compare.jpg

you would generally generate lots of noise if you set your ISO pretty high. Your image is only set at 100, so it shouldn't (most probably 99.99%) be due to ISO noise.

It feels to me that the pic is tilted a bit to the left. Just by looking at the buildings, they look like they are leaning slightly to the left.
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

bro -

(1) timing not good, go a bit earlier so that the buildings will not be so dark
    (2) got tilt to the left, maybe also got vertical perspective problem, not so sure about latter
    (3) clone out or leave out the funny thing in the bottom right

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by blowblue View Post
    no, that's not noise in the sky. that's most probably due to JPEG compressionm since it has problems with dynamic range (differentiating different shades of blue). Are you using the basic or lowest picture quality as your setting?
    high iso noise would look speckly like this http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/com...cles-night.jpg

http://www.cameratown.com/guides/assets/iso_compare.jpg

you would generally generate lots of noise if you set your ISO pretty high. Your image is only set at 100, so it shouldn't (most probably 99.99%) be due to ISO noise.
    i was shooting JPG large.

cus i read from somewhere that long exposure will result in noise. there is a setting where the camera makes another exposure for the same amount of time, then some program will superimpose those 2 images together, identify and minimise the noise.

still trying to get the hang of shooting digital.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    bro -

(2) got tilt to the left, maybe also got vertical perspective problem, not so sure about latter

cheers

1. maybe i tried to maximise the blue and shot a wee bit too late. will take note the next time.

2, 3) agree. i will sort out during post process.

thks.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    bro -

cheers

Perhaps you should leverage the leaves as a "frame". See my perspective of the same location.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jarrodstone/2091433218/

maybe its better to shoot landscape for this...

all the best!
    "We will see Him, coming down the clouds from heaven... In Majesty"

At this time of the year, best timing for night photography is from 19:00 to 19:45. You get enough ambient lighting to record the building details and still get the vibrancy of the night lights.

Getting your horizon and vertical lines straight is of utmost importance because if you don't get them right, your photo will appear sloppy.

After you've composed the shot, take a test shot and look out for things creeping into the frame from the edges. Again, your photos will appear sloppy if that's not taken care of.

In this particular instance, I would wait for a boat to pass by so that I can capture some light trails for the bottom part of the photo. The light trails will be leading the viewer's eyes to the background andrest of the photo. You foreground looks empty now, which is quite disconcerting to look at.

Take your time to design your composition. Set up early and wait for the right light to come.

Quote Originally Posted by pplneedthelord View Post
    maybe its better to shoot landscape for this...

all the best!
    the image was shot at the widest end of my 12- 24.

so, in the horizintal format, i'd need to tilt the lens upwards to include the whole skyscraper, which will cause them to converge (i believe this can be corrected during PP, but i try to get it right in camera. and at this stage, i dunno how to PP). moreover, i was trying to get the reflections too.

this explains why the plant appears in the lower right corner. i did notice it, but after shifting around, i decided to "exclude" it after the shot was made.

Quote Originally Posted by bblurrr View Post
    Perhaps you should leverage the leaves as a "frame". See my perspective of the same location.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jarrodstone/2091433218/
    i find does not work either. looks like the leaves are just being extra in there, my feeling. there are much more effective frames than this, here it seems like a frame for the sake of being a frame, nothing to do with arranging the elements nicely to add to the picture. i think excluding it might still be best.

there is also tilt in your photo, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    At this time of the year, best timing for night photography is from 19:00 to 19:45. You get enough ambient lighting to record the building details and still get the vibrancy of the night lights.

Getting your horizon and vertical lines straight is of utmost importance because if you don't get them right, your photo will appear sloppy.

After you've composed the shot, take a test shot and look out for things creeping into the frame from the edges. Again, your photos will appear sloppy if that's not taken care of.

In this particular instance, I would wait for a boat to pass by so that I can capture some light trails for the bottom part of the photo. The light trails will be leading the viewer's eyes to the background andrest of the photo. You foreground looks empty now, which is quite disconcerting to look at.

Take your time to design your composition. Set up early and wait for the right light to come.
    1. saw your portfolio. i seem to be shooting a little too late in an attempt to maximise the blue sky. will try to shoot earlier to get more detail.

2. i did ve some shots with the light trail of boats. but they are very thin, barely visible. so, i decided to exclude them and focus on getting a mirrored image of the buildings and their reflections.

3. i ve included another copy w some kind of "foreground". does it work better?

I prefer a simpler foreground with just 1 set of railings. At the moment, you have 2 different sets of railings converging at different points. Its a little messy.

slightly tilted?
    Canon 400D / Rebel XTi Gripped EFS 17-85mm / 50mm f/1.8
    http://jerryyang.deviantart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    I prefer a simpler foreground with just 1 set of railings. At the moment, you have 2 different sets of railings converging at different points. Its a little messy.
    agree.

i think the JPEG quality is still causing some probs with esp the sky portion in the pic. try shooting at JPEG fine, or RAW. also, when saving pics in PS, use one of the higher JPEG compression numbers (10-12). although this will result in larger file sizes, its worth it.

also, the light trails from the boat are kind of distracting. it would have been better if the boat came nearer your camera and moved towards the buildings, or vice versa

overall a better attempt though

many thanks .

learnt that a seemingly simple shot is not simple at all.

will look out for those loose ends in the future.

YOur first photo's composition is unfault. Pretty standard. Kept the building's bottom at the center of the pic and generate a balance reflection. Good.

The greenry is distracting, lose it. Your picture will still look balance.

Everyone wants a copy of their own, nothing to be upset abt bro . =) It's almost the very first picture when one learnt about long exposures.

2nd picture, , crop off the foreground railing. It will look more balance with bottom heavy. =)