Thread: Macro and telephoto set up....how to?? Please help.

Default Macro and telephoto set up....how to?? Please help.

Hello to everyone. I am a newbie to DSLR world. I would like to seek for help/advise to the shooting public of this forum. I would like to have a set of gear that is capable of shooting long range (decent telezoom), and at the same time that telezoom can be utilized for macro shots by adding a close up lense. Currently, here is my set up;

Nikon D40x, lens is Nikkor 18-55 mm.
    I am looking at for a set up as follows;
    Nikon D40x+ AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED (SGD 890) + AF Micro 60mm f/2.8D (Close up lense to be able to do Macro shots cost SGD 600)  Please let me know if this set up is capable of doing decent long range shoots and Macro shots once the close up lense was added.

Not sure if my question makes sense, as I mentioned I am a newbie and I am looking forward for your help guys. I am eager to do long range and macro shots (at the cheapest possible amount of money).

Thanks in advance to all.

Default Re: Macro and telephoto set up....how to?? Please help.

Hi ROMAC

What do you mean by long range ? What do you intend to shoot with this range ?
    The 300mm end of the 70-300mm is pretty long IMHO for my purpose and i dun shoot much at that end, and on a cropped sensor, the equivalent FOV makes it seemed even more telephoto ( ok strictly speaking the focal length of the lens does not change ) But if you wanna shoot birds .. it is still abit short.

Nikon 60mm micro is a good macro lens and by itself can go down to 1:1 ratio already, it itself is a lens like 70-300mm ( but i am not too sure what you mean by adding it ? it is no accessory that you can attach onto your 70-300mm to make it shoot macro ) Of course if u need to get more magnification you can add a close up filter / dioptre to the 60mm.

* Note that the AFD 60mm will not be able to AF on ur D40x
    The newer AFS 60mm will be able to. Not that you will need much AF when shooting micro, but just a thought.

Ryan
    Last edited by giantcanopy; 9th February 2008 at 05:04 PM.

Hi Ryan,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Thanks for suggesting the 60mm for Macro. I will certainly look into it. I am planning to use the 70-300 mm for normal "snipping", street photography. BTW, what lens will be sufficient for shooting birds?

When I say adding a close up lens in the 70-300mm, I mean something like what is shown below. I saw this in the macro sticky in this forum.

"5. What is the recommended macro camera equipment setup ?

a. DSLR/SLR camera
    Type of Setup:
    - Camera + Dedicated Macro lens
    - Camera + Extension tube + Macro lens (for macro > 1:1 )
    - Camera + Telezoom lens + closeup filter (e.g. +2, +4)
    Do you think this will give me pretty good macro pictures?

Thanks again for your reply, it is much appreciated.
    Last edited by ROMAC; 9th February 2008 at 06:07 PM.

up...begging for knowledge and guidance from the pros....

Want type of macro you intend to take? still life, flower or insect?

The later one will need a longer focal length macro lens.

If you confirm getting the 70-300mm, you can add close-up filter to it to try out macro first before getting a macro lens.

For Macro lens, Nikon 60mm is good for still life, food and flower. It is also good for portrait.

For insect, you can start of with 90mm to 105mm, you can look into Tamron 90mm, Tokina 100mm or Nikon 105VR.

For even longer focal length, that will be Sigma 150mm & 180mm, Tamron 180mm or Nikon 200mm.

u might wanna try this lens 1st Sigma 70-300 apo lens . comes wif macro function @ 200mm - 300mm .

no need to carry 2 lenses ard .

just haf to toggle switch btw zoom and macro .

hope tat helps .

cheers .

To shoot birds.... in birdpark, 200mm will be quite ok.

For wild birds, you can start will 300mmf/4 with either 1.4 or 1.7TC. 70-300mm is quite soft on it long end, so adding a TC is not recommended.

Those serious birders start off with 500mm or 600mm with 1.4TC.

Leong23 and Radiation, thanks a lot for your inputs. It surely help a lot.

I would like to concentrate in insect macros, it's just amazing to capture the "day to day" life of insects. If I take the flunge for the 90 mm for macro, would that be good for insect macros and portrait shots as well?

What brand is best value for the bucks? Nikon, Tamron, Sigma or Tokina?

Again guys, thanks a lot...Your inputs are a lot of help for a newbie like me. cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ROMAC View Post
    Hello to everyone. I am a newbie to DSLR world. I would like to seek for help/advise to the shooting public of this forum. I would like to have a set of gear that is capable of shooting long range (decent telezoom), and at the same time that telezoom can be utilized for macro shots by adding a close up lense. Currently, here is my set up;

Nikon D40x, lens is Nikkor 18-55 mm.
    I am looking at for a set up as follows;
    Nikon D40x+ AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED (SGD 890) + AF Micro 60mm f/2.8D (Close up lense to be able to do Macro shots cost SGD 600)  Please let me know if this set up is capable of doing decent long range shoots and Macro shots once the close up lense was added.

Not sure if my question makes sense, as I mentioned I am a newbie and I am looking forward for your help guys. I am eager to do long range and macro shots (at the cheapest possible amount of money).

Thanks in advance to all.
    The 18-55 works pretty well for macro when reversed (use the zoom ring to 'focus' and changing magnification). So maybe you can just get a telezoom for longer reach for the time being.

Here are some examples of the reversed 18-55.

The scale is in cm...
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 13th February 2008 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by radiation View Post
    u might wanna try this lens 1st Sigma 70-300 apo lens . comes wif macro function @ 200mm - 300mm .

no need to carry 2 lenses ard .

just haf to toggle switch btw zoom and macro .

hope tat helps .

cheers .
    Are you referring to the Sigma AF 70-300 f4-5.6 APO Macro? This lens' autofocus does not work in Nikon D40x, and it does not have an OS, do you think it will still be worth a buy to do macro shots for a beginner like me?

If I may ask, roughly how much for a 2nd hand lens of this type?

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ROMAC View Post
    Leong23 and Radiation, thanks a lot for your inputs. It surely help a lot.

I would like to concentrate in insect macros, it's just amazing to capture the "day to day" life of insects. If I take the flunge for the 90 mm for macro, would that be good for insect macros and portrait shots as well?

What brand is best value for the bucks? Nikon, Tamron, Sigma or Tokina?

Again guys, thanks a lot...Your inputs are a lot of help for a newbie like me. cheers!
    I would recommend Tamron 90mm for a start. But frankly speaking, it is a bit short. Most of the serious nature macro shooter will eventually get the Tamron 180mm or similar.

Some may disappoval what i said and swear that their Tamron 90mm or Nikon 105VR can deliver good images, take a look at most of the good macro images around here and other website, it is mostly using 150mm and above.

I personally using 200mmf/4 and have a Tamron 90mm as backup.

Each brand to get is will depend on your preference and budget, good to look around for 2nd hand lenses if you are on budget.

Can check up this thread on difference view on different brand of macro lense.
    http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=348332

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    The 18-55 works pretty well for macro when reversed (use the zoom ring to 'focus' and changing magnification). So maybe you can just get a telezoom for longer reach for the time being.

Here are some examples of the reversed 18-55.

The scale is in cm...
    1 thing i'm not sure. lets say
    object-->50f/1.4 reversed-->reverse lens adapter-->18-55f/3.5-5.6-->body
    1.that means the 50 is just like a dummy len for the technique only?
    2.still can zoom with the 18-55?that means i got 70-200 can zoom from afar?or can zoom in therefore increasing the magnification?
    3.aperture is follow the 18-55@f/3.5-5.6max and not the 50's f/1.4?if like that,can i interchange the lens and put the zoom as dummy using the fixed 50@f/1.4?

Quote Originally Posted by kirkchua79 View Post
    1 thing i'm not sure. lets say
    object-->50f/1.4 reversed-->reverse lens adapter-->18-55f/3.5-5.6-->body
    1.that means the 50 is just like a dummy len for the technique only?
    2.still can zoom with the 18-55?that means i got 70-200 can zoom from afar?or can zoom in therefore increasing the magnification?
    3.aperture is follow the 18-55@f/3.5-5.6max and not the 50's f/1.4?if like that,can i interchange the lens and put the zoom as dummy using the fixed 50@f/1.4?
    When you reverse a lens you just mount the reversed lens directly on the body.
    http://flash.popphoto.com/blog/2007/...-the-da-7.html

The wider angle the original lens is, the greater will be the magnification when reversed. Of course there is a limit. However, I won't recommend the technique in the article of making the reversal ring yourself using a filter ring, a lens cap and some epoxy because it's not secure and you won't want to put your lens at risk. Just buy a 3rd party reversal ring if you think the original one is too expensive.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 26th March 2008 at 03:57 PM.

tks man

tamron 180 for skittish insects such as butterflies
    tamron 90 for spiders and beetles or anything that doesnt "fly"

hunting for a macro lens and read alot about the Tamron 90mm and also reviews from friends using it. Bottomline I have gathered is, buy.
    Nikanon D3FXMarkIIIDS-1H with 5000mm f/128 & 0.500mm Macro f/0.4 & 0.70-2000mm f/256