View Poll Results: Which classic camera should I get?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canon T90

3 37.50%
  • Minolta X700 w/Motor Drive 1

5 62.50%

Thread: Help me decide on which retro camera to get!

Default Help me decide on which retro camera to get!

Hello,

I'm looking at two cameras, each a classic in their own right. Not just for collection's sake, but I may actually want to use them occasionally, just for fun.

So, should I get the:

Canon T90?
    Highly spec'ed, very capable, and I'm reaaaally attracted by the body design.

or the Minolta X700 with Motor Drive 1.
    The X700 was the first SLR I got to play with, and was basically the camera which started it all for me.

For either camera, I plan to just attach a 50mm lens to it. Both cameras are about the same price now. Which one should I get, and why?
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Default Re: Help me decide on which retro camera to get!

Vote for for Canon T90! For retro, u may consider other camera like Voigtlander Bessa T with Heliar 50/f3.5 101 Anniversary @ http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=321598

x700, no reason, just preference
    besides i am lazy.

Retro is relative, to me both cameras are not retro, but the Nikon F is.......

HS

Err...just FYI, and as read somewhere on the net ... if you're considering using the camera, the T90 has had documented problems with their shutters breaking down very quickly. It was a major embarassment for Canon which (probably) was why the model was pulled out of circulation pronto as compared to any of the A series or the other T models. IIRC, the T90 never really took off despite it being the most advanced camera at the time.

If you really want a (retro) film cam, why not look at the Canon F, Canonet, old or new F-1s, or the superb Nikon Nikkormats, F2A/F2As? All of them would probably outlast you if you use them once in a while, and many can be gotten quite cheaply at 2nd hand stores. If it's a Minolta with bells and whistles, I would look for the XD-9 or preferably, XD-11 or if it's more manual, the srt series.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 9th February 2008 at 01:45 PM.

I still using my t90 which haven't cla since my dad bought, no prob, only A series got the canon squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Err...just FYI, and as read somewhere on the net ... if you're considering using the camera, the T90 has had documented problems with their shutters breaking down very quickly. It was a major embarassment for Canon which (probably) was why the model was pulled out of circulation pronto as compared to any of the A series or the other T models. IIRC, the T90 never really took off despite it being the most advanced camera at the time.

If you really want a (retro) film cam, why not look at the Canon F, Canonet, old or new F-1s, or the superb Nikon Nikkormats, F2A/F2As? All of them would probably outlast you if you use them once in a while, and many can be gotten quite cheaply at 2nd hand stores. If it's a Minolta with bells and whistles, I would look for the XD-9 or preferably, XD-11 or if it's more manual, the srt series.
    I did some research on the T90 about a decade back (anyone remember the days of UseNet newsgroups, rec.photo.equipment.35mm???), and yes, there were widespread concerns about the shutter mechanism. Plus the fact that Canon decided to stop making spares compounded the problem. May Canon T90 users were up in arms.

I know there are other "more" classic cameras (FM2N, OM-4Ti, etc), but somehow, I've always like just these two models for personal reasons.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Choose the oe which makes you feel happiest!