Thread: VR zoom len for Nikon DSLR

Talking VR zoom len for Nikon DSLR

Hi everyone,
    I have this photography hobby since many years back. I have recently own a D80 and now considering a VR zoom len 70-300mm. Could someone out there experience in this to advice me if it is necessary to grab VR type of ordinary without VR. Thanks + kind regards.

Default Re: VR zoom len for Nikon DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by waladjam View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I have this photography hobby since many years back. I have recently own a D80 and now considering a VR zoom len 70-300mm. Could someone out there experience in this to advice me if it is necessary to grab VR type of ordinary without VR. Thanks + kind regards.
    Hi,

VR would compensate for your handshake, esp. when photographing in slow shutter speed under low-light conditions. However, it will not help in freezing motion, which I think you'd know.

I'm a user of your proposed combination. I would say the VR comes in handy in compensating a couple of stops under slow shutter, esp at the long end of the zoom range. Nevertheless, VR is not fool-proof and has to be used in conjunction with the appropriate techniques when photographing your subject(s).

Cheers.

Default Re: VR zoom len for Nikon DSLR

Hi waladjam

VR will hold greater value at the more telephoto end of the zoom, and you might get a higher percentage of keeper telephoto shots compared to the non VR version.

Ryan