Thread: Wireless FLash

Default Wireless FLash

I own a D80 and SB600.

I was under the impression that i could shoot the SB600 wirelessly as a slave without the need for using the built in flash?

I tried all config settings but my SB600 will only fire remotely when I fire the D80's built in flash?

Am i doing something wrong?

Any help appreciated.

Default Re: Wireless FLash

Quote Originally Posted by pommie View Post
    I own a D80 and SB600.

I was under the impression that i could shoot the SB600 wirelessly as a slave without the need for using the built in flash?

I tried all config settings but my SB600 will only fire remotely when I fire the D80's built in flash?

Am i doing something wrong?

Any help appreciated.
    There's nothing wrong... You have to set your D80 to commander mode and you have to use your pop up flash to trigger your SB-600
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

So if i only want a back light flash from my SB600 your saying I cant as I need to fire my built in flash too?

Check out pg 96 of your D80 manual... It explains them all...
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

I checked the manual again and noticed it's only the pre-flash that fires from the camera.

Thanks for your help anyway.

u will nd the built in flash to fire as i understand the SB600 is activated by optical slave?

The SB-600 can work wirelessly only when the built-in flash on the D80 is activated AND set in 'commander' mode; same as in D200/300. If you don't turn on the built-in flash on your camera, the wireless features CANNOT be used.
    rgds/porcupine

i think i know why. you have to go enable the custom settings, read the camera manual for the flash part a few more times. there is something you miss out, cannot remember now but i got the same problem last time...

Hi pommie

The commander will release a faint bit of light but usually not too contributory to the overall scene.

However if u really want to eliminate it, you can get a Nikon SG-3IR sensor shield to block the flash and let the IR aspect control the slave.

The more expensive option is to get an SU800 commander unit which will give u only IR and can transmit longer distances

Ryan