Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Orange (G) filter

  1. #1

    Default Orange (G) filter

    Hi

    I happened to have an Orange (G) filter. Can I ask wat is it use for? And how to utilize it? When is best and any disadvantage of using this filter?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Orange (G) filter

    It is commonly use for taking photo using B&W film to darken the sky or creating contrast.

  3. #3
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Orange (G) filter

    Quote Originally Posted by des1984 View Post
    Hi

    I happened to have an Orange (G) filter. Can I ask wat is it use for? And how to utilize it? When is best and any disadvantage of using this filter?
    Increases contrast between reds and yellows. Mainly used for Black n white film.

    Effect is in between yellow and red..
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Orange (G) filter

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Increases contrast between reds and yellows. Mainly used for Black n white film.

    Effect is in between yellow and red..

    ??? yes it is used in shooting B&W film but no.....

    It lightens oranges and reds and darkens blue and green

    when using coloured filters, refer to the colour wheel. It lightens which ever colour you have, and then darkens the opposing colours.

    See how filters work

  5. #5

    Default Re: Orange (G) filter

    Quote Originally Posted by des1984 View Post
    Hi

    I happened to have an Orange (G) filter. Can I ask wat is it use for? And how to utilize it? When is best and any disadvantage of using this filter?
    usually used for color correction in film. if i'm not wrong can be used as a warming filter as well.

    in the digital age it is not really important since a few clicks in photoshop will give you an orange filter effect without all the pain of having to use it while shooting. not to mention, if your filter is not of best quality you take the risk of introducing extra flare, and degradation of image quality if you're anal about it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Orange (G) filter

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    usually used for color correction in film. if i'm not wrong can be used as a warming filter as well.

    in the digital age it is not really important since a few clicks in photoshop will give you an orange filter effect without all the pain of having to use it while shooting. not to mention, if your filter is not of best quality you take the risk of introducing extra flare, and degradation of image quality if you're anal about it.
    I think the orange tone is far too strong to corrent all if not most cooler scene, most of the time for warmer color, 81-series, skylight etc are used.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •