Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cannon users.. why??

Default Re: cannon users.. why??

I kenna 'Err 99' on my 10D once when i was shooting an exhibition last year but quickly disappeared when i turned off and on the camera. Fortunately for me.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost4ever View Post
    Hihi... I'm not trying to offend the cannon users here but after using a new Canon 400d recently I'm actually surprise at the amount of people that perfer Canon to other brands like Nikion, Sony or Olympus..
    Here's the reason why... I've got this assignment from my school to take some photo of V.I.Ps and the event that is going on.. My camara is a Olympus E-510 which i happened to forget to charge the battery at the day before, so i borrowed my friend's newly brought 400d along.. after like 30 or so pics there's this "Error 99" coming out of the screen telling me to restart the camara. This error 99 contiue to appear for over 40+ times in the 400+ pics i took... during the middle the power switch also can't be off and i needed to take the battery out myself for the cam to off.. after this incident i read on the web to find out that these problems appear very oftenly to canon users and i also read that the "error 99" cannot be fixed..
    So to long time Canon users without any offend.. why canon?? or why you continue to uses Canon??
    find me a brand that has no problems at all and i will consider switching system.

I only experienced error 99 when I first thought I could use the old sigma lens from film days, could it be the same problem u encountered?
    enjoy photography....regardless of brand, body or lenses....

i'm using 400D more than a year never had any errors. other than once where i accidently taped my flash and it cannot popup.

I am a return canon user and order another new body.

Quote Originally Posted by longkangman View Post
    I am a return canon user and order another new body.
    The Return of a Jedi.

i remember i was using 18-55... the weird thing is it happens the most times whenever i zoom out to 18... the lense itself came with the camara which is both barely one month old..
    I've seen this failure mode before, and it was a problem of the lens, not the camera.

Canon uses a flexible printed circuit-style cable to connect to the iris actuator. This cable flexes whenever the lens is zoomed and is prone to fatigue/mechanical failure. Over time, it may develop cracks that open/close connections, depending on the flexure of the cable, which in turn depends on the chosen focal length.

If the camera attempts to close the aperture, but the aperture doesn't react, you may get an "Err 99". Another symptom is that the aperture may not open after an exposure or after using depth-of-field preview. If you select the maximum aperture (so that the iris doesn't need to close), you would not get this error even if the cable is defective.

Can't help myself.

If according to TS's logic, all of us who bought and used the 20D with the verticle grip, we sufferd through the Err99 for as long as we owned the camera. Well, still a great camera. But according to TS, shouldn't Canon be out of business by now?

If we want to complain about Canon, there are a lot more then jsut these occasional Err99.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Aiyo ~ Each camera have their own problem lah. Can means can cannot means cannot. I have both a Cannon 300D and a Olympus E410. There are times that I might encounter problem with either camera. For example Error 99 for the cannon and system hang for the E410. Alamak, just find a work around lah ~ Dun blame the camera lah. There was a saying when i was in the army "it's the human that kills, the gun just shoot on command." The gun is just a tool. Just like the camera.

Been using 400D for about a year...... Never had any problem. My only dislike is that 'Tiny' thing called a Hand Grip for the 400D......

Scuba & Father... For Life

To all the Canon user please forgive this person who is too young and do not understand what is a 'backup' system.

If the assignment is important he would had charge all the battery one day in advance, not saying only have one battery.

If the assignment is important, I will make sure five of my battery from 350D and 20D is fully charge, all CF cards are in place, bring alone 3 lens or more.

Error 99 problems may come from lens and/or camera. Send the camera to CSC for service that should solve. I have error 99 often on my 350D and maybe a few time on 20D, that is why we need a backup camera and lens. Error 99 is an unknown problem, power on/off and remove the battery is one way to re-start the camera, send camera for service will be the correct action.

Hihi... I'm not trying to offend the cannon users here but after using a new Canon 400d recently I'm actually surprise at the amount of people that perfer Canon to other brands like Nikion, Sony or Olympus..
    actually, long time ago.. my camera skills were bad and i didn't understand things like aperture, shutter speed etc.. so when pics on my Nikon coolpix were bad.. i'd blame Nikon. when decision came to buying a new cam, i decided to switch to Canon.. and still find out that my skills still couldn't make it..

the camera acting up was bad luck lah.. just because u didn't encounter any problems with the oly E, does not mean that the camera is better then canon.. since u are still schooling, having a backup camera may not be an option.. just remember , in future, prepare a check list, have back up batteries, memory cards.., etc .. ensure that you do not leave it to memory to get everything prepared.. write it down and check it.. .
    Last edited by canonG9; 8th February 2008 at 12:46 AM.
    Canonite
    Disciple of the Canonical Order

I second the other bros/sisters' thoughts, if a shoot is of utmost importance to you, do keep some backup equipment handy, not good to be put out of action due to equipment fault.

New equipment in general should be put through their paces before being used in critical assignments, so any defects can be located and be given the appropriate attention.

I've also gotten some experiences like yours which probably kept me on my toes:

Being an early adopter of the Sony a700, I do get frequent problems like camera hang and Info-Lithium battery errors in the early stages of use - I was handling a wedding when the Two-day-old camera hung up on me and I lost a couple of photos, luckily, I was able to get the set back up and running, and haha, I was able to re-shoot some of the photos (Table shots). Nowadays, I bring my backup body if I have critical assignments to cover.

Canon's at where it is now due in part to the reliability of their components, they'd be out of business if their equipment are not.

As for your camera, you can bring it to the Canon service center, I'm sure they'd be able to look into it. and do rent or borrow an extra body + lens if you have to cover an important assignment.

Err 99 - BAH!

If you do extensive research here and internationally, you'll find a LOT more serious issues with the 40D and the 1D Mk III.

And, in all fairness, even the latest razzmatazz bodies like the Oly E3 are seriously plagued.

What makes Canon users stick with Canon?

Simple.

Most Canon users have some kind of lens collection. To change would incurr a huge loss.

But perhaps costing way more than any amount of money is that any believer of a brand has a lot invested - pride and ego wise.

Alamak! Who would ever willingly admit, openly, to making a mistake in their choices of brand and equipment, models etc etc etc, how many 'men' would ever openly admit to marrying the wrong woman in front of their male drinking buddies or family?

It seems that Canon still offered superior products for the professional, and to some extent, that was true ... but others are catching up. If the others can and actually do catch up and overtake Canon, you might see a major change of attitude only if sales figures drop. What, exactly do major manufacturers use as a barometer?

Note: Generally, any other brand was not even acknowledged to have existed as 'serious contention'. Canon has always leveraged on 'pro' reliance to sell prosumer products. The amature market uses different marketing techniques, for obvious reasons, but still, to some extent or another, the 'brand reputation' carry over is leveraged.

Make no mistake; I am a Canon user, I love Canon ... and I am hesitant to switch ... but at the same time, I have reasons to believe Canon cameras are far from perfect! I have been more then tempted to switch before ... and I will not hesitate to say Canon has some very serious attitude problems - they don't give a **** as long as the sales figures are still there -and they are. That is the beauty of very well-engineered marketing. It works, and it will bring the sales figures in, despite technical shortcomings.

Look, Canon SG, despite the actions of Canon USA and Europe, doesn't believe in offering sub-mirror hardware fixes for the well-documented 1D MkIII AF issues. Consumer support according to region is another issues entirely, but one of the most apparent facts is that Canon SG will and does not give a **** as compared to what Canon USA and Europe is willing to admit to their customers, and actually do to rectify a problem. That is the impression I get from reading all the varied user reports and gripes, both here and abroad.

I guess Canon SG believes they are far superior and advanced to their brethren in the US and Europe, where market share runs into the multi-millions, if not billions, as compared to the sales market here. THINK! There have been some very serious 'rumours' reported that Canon engineers have identified and 'solved' the 'root problem' and 'causes' of the 1D MkIII AF issues and it involves way more than a simple 'calibration'. For the industry reps to 'leak' such rumours, speaks volumes, especially for Japanese to admit to reaching a 'root' cause. Wait and see what Canon SG says and does, or rather, chooses to NOT do.

If anyone has issues discussing openly brand loyalty, especially when discussing short-comings, and mentioning all sorts of reasons for which without acknowledging the wider scope, just like coming to terms with the imperfections in life ... and learning how to accept them and move on, and perhaps even optimising for results, my opinion is that a re-look at value systems may be healthy.

It takes courage to admit shortcomings and make amends. It takes virtue to find ways to rise above the circumstances, and it's almost impossible for most to rise up above themselves.

I don't blame you if you hate me for having said the above. It was not pleasant, and it was not fun writing it, but someone had the courage to ask, and I applaude that courage.

Yes, I am 'forced' to stick with Canon ... for now. In many ways, I love their products, having been weaned on their excellent manual 35mm systems, but I think they are currently too arrogant for their own good ... and they need to address technical issues. Note: many Canon users have openly acknowledged this about Canon - their arrogance and sense of complacence (and need of products improvement especially in light of the constant premium price they demand). Don't ask me to search for you - it's all there on the internet in various forums for everyone to read.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 8th February 2008 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rokieto View Post
    I only experienced error 99 when I first thought I could use the old sigma lens from film days, could it be the same problem u encountered?
    nope.. don't think so since i was also using a canon lense.. n i didn't change the lense at all while i was using the cam

Think you may have just gotten a lemon. Happens for every mass produced electronic, no matter the brand. My 400D has served me well both as a first and now a backup body, and i'm sure alot of CSers had a good experience with it.
    AUTOMOTIVE PHOTOGRAPHY FUELLED BY CANON
    http://WWW.MARCUSLI.COM

Alamak~ even M16 or the SAR 21 will jam at times lah. R u going to bitch and do nothing about it or perform the necessary immidate action to get it back in action during the war time. Think about it ... wait a min. I think it might take a few years for a kid to understand this. Well to make it simple. Off the camera, take out the battery. Put the battery back and the turn on the camera. Depends on wat U r using. Hope that your picture or data is still there ...

...ur thread just remind me of an impt shoot coming up.i better remember to bring my backup on that day
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

Here's the reason why... I've got this assignment from my school to take some photo of V.I.Ps and the event that is going on.. My camara is a Olympus E-510 which i happened to forget to charge the battery at the day before, so i borrowed my friend's newly brought 400d along.. after like 30 or so pics there's this "Error 99" coming out of the screen telling me to restart the camara. This error 99 contiue to appear for over 40+ times in the 400+ pics i took... during the middle the power switch also can't be off and i needed to take the battery out myself for the cam to off.. after this incident i read on the web to find out that these problems appear very oftenly to canon users and i also read that the "error 99" cannot be fixed..
    So to long time Canon users without any offend.. why canon?? or why you continue to uses Canon??

Bro u might want to put ur question like 'whats wrong with my camera....rather than ur thread title!
    Than members here will help u....unlimited As a student it best u learn from this thread of urs good luck bro
    YouTube
    5d2=Zeiss + Canon ++

"Error 99" is for those people who don't own Canon but use other people's Canon.

It means "Get yourself a Canon"!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast