Thread: Busy busy (night shot)

Default Busy busy (night shot)

Hi all,

First time posting in this corner.
    Would like to get some comments for this as I've been trying to get some good photos, and I personally thought this was one of my better ones.
    I'm using a 400D, this picture was shot at focal length 18mm using EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II, ISO 800, exposure 2.0s at f/11.
    I just happened to look out of the window and thought of capturing this scene.

Would sincerely like to hear your comments.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by xtremequantumx; 6th February 2008 at 09:20 PM.

Default Re: Busy busy (night shot)

nice view! focus is good. bottom part of photo seems distracting.

maybe you can consider using iso100 for the exposure. so that you can use long shutter, to capture more streaks of light from the road. cheers

The title is "Busy busy". I supposed that you mean that the cars were still around (I saw some light trails)? I personally find there is no clear centre of interest and the photo does not show me how busy the city is.

Anyway, nice try. Keep shooting and hope to see more of your photos

To add-on maybe? As explanations!
    I needed a not too long shutter as I didn't have my tripod along! If not my favourite choice would be the ISO100 and max shutter duration! Thanks Buggy for feedback!

Also busy busy also refers to our PSA port, as shown in the background, working 24/7 even though we're sleeping. (:

Thanks guys for the comments, would definitely like to hear more!

If you had used max shutter duration, details on the hp advert will be lost. You should be shooting split exposures and join them up in PS, make sure you use a sturdy tripod so the layers don't run. Go search for the term HDR.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    If you had used max shutter duration, details on the hp advert will be lost. You should be shooting split exposures and join them up in PS, make sure you use a sturdy tripod so the layers don't run. Go search for the term HDR.
    Hi Foxtwo,

I do use HDR, not for this picture. I personally feel this picture looks great without any editing, so here it is! Thanks for your comments!

i personally think u can crop the pic abit (the building bottom-right) and adjust abit so the highway is straight

btw spottiswoode park?

sorry, without reading the thread I don't know what is the main focus of the pictures. Too crowded for me. just my two cents.

that's a nice view you've got there, i'm sure there would be something in there to capture but there are 2 very huge problems with this picture, in my humble opinion

1) that huge mass of glowing white light. it is the first thing that i look at in the picture, and the second, and the third, and the fourth, if you catch my drift. understand that exposure is tricky, perhaps you could use masking and layers and shoot two shots to control it, or use hdr, since you are familiar with the technique

2) the road is a boon, it gives the sense of mood that you intend to portray. however, it also turns out to be a bane, dividing and cutting up your entire photo into two. i end up looking at the bottom, and then the top, after i'm done with the thing mentioned in 1.

i'm wondering - why not just put the camera upright, and place the road at the bottom? you will not have any vertical distortion, which is quite apparent here, although not really a problem, and composition wise might be stronger. if the sky is not to your favour, a panoramic crop would do as well.

Since the subject of your photo is the busy PSA port in the background, i would suggest cropping away the right and bottom of the photo to give greater emphasis to your subject.
    hope you don't mind an edited version of your photo for illustration purposes:

wow..zaren..u really made the picture stand out alot more compared to the original.. nicely done... really shows how important composition is when taking a picture.. TS, noob here my self great capture btw..