Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Recommendation for ear/headphones

Deregistered

Hmmm I guess if I'm looking for one to listen off the inbuilt sound system of my office PC, the recommended ones here aren't going to justify the cost of it?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh
    Listened to it straight out of the box and I was not impressed. However, after breaking it in with my "Non-stop Hits from the 80's" CD for 8 hours and then ooooohhhhh......
    Roy, 8 hours of "Non-stop Hits from the 80's" would BREAK your headphones, not just break it in!

If you want to see how much they can do, plug it into a headphone amplifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Amfibius
    Roy, 8 hours of "Non-stop Hits from the 80's" would BREAK your headphones, not just break it in!

If you want to see how much they can do, plug it into a headphone amplifier.
    I plan to DIY a cable to connect it to the speaker output of a MOSFET power amplifier I built some years ago. Hopefully this will not really break the headphones.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

How about trying the new panasonic in-ear earphones, they are better in reproducing sounds then MDR-71SL... Some more they retail at $50 dollar @ one of the shops in Shaw tower.

Went to the showroom to try the B&O earphone sometime ago, realise the sound quality is very flat, i still think that the MDR-71SL is so much better than the B&O, sometimes it is not worth paying so much for the name, and the B&O earphone do not block out sounds...

Cheers...

Just hacked out a special cable to connect the HD580 to my 60W MOSFET amplifer's speaker output. Man! The sound! The transients are soooooo much better than the heaphone output of the pre-amp....and the bass.....

I thought the sound was open when I heard it after the break in, but when driven by the power amp the heaphones almost dissappeared!
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Maybe you have listened to a pair that hasn't been "seasoned".
    - Roy
    No, I've listened to more than a pair of HD600's, all of which have been burnt in thoroughly.
    I've heard the HD650's too. Neither cans deserve my recommendation.
    As my good friend would say, sleeping cans. They work better than prescription sleeping pills!
    In any case at all, a good headphone amplifier is a must to bring out the true character of any headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    No, I've listened to more than a pair of HD600's, all of which have been burnt in thoroughly.
    I've heard the HD650's too. Neither cans deserve my recommendation.
    As my good friend would say, sleeping cans. They work better than prescription sleeping pills!
    In any case at all, a good headphone amplifier is a must to bring out the true character of any headphones.
    You must have better than golden ears and expect very high standards. So far I am happy with the HD580 (especially driving it with a power amp ). Which headphone do you think is the best in terms of sound, and which would you recommend if higher value for money is a selection criteria also?

Default Sony MDR 7506

Quote Originally Posted by wallpaper
    You can check out Hung Brothers at SLS level 3 (i think), it retails for $199 but you can bargain with the salesperson there. There's a guy there called Richard who is quite friendly.

The 7506 is also known as the Sony V6...it's a very good pair of headphones. Excellent choice.
    I have a pair of Sony MDR 7506 headphones, absolutely the best headphones i have ever listened to.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

You must have better than golden ears and expect very high standards. So far I am happy with the HD580 (especially driving it with a power amp ). Which headphone do you think is the best in terms of sound, and which would you recommend if higher value for money is a selection criteria also?
    I don't have very high standards. I just find it hard to recommend headphones like the HD600's which, IMO, only sound good on Classical music (and not modern day types, mind you).

There are far more good all-rounders like Beyer Dynamic DT931's and Grado SR-225's priced at $300+ a pair. Other people also prefer certain Sony & Audio Technica models.
    Going up the chain, my favourites are AKG K-1000's at about $900 to $1000 a pair and the Grado HP-1000's series which go for about US$1,200 for a 2nd hand pair in good condition online.

It seems like the Sony E-888 model's out of production and not available in the shops any more. Any one knows where there might be any sets left?

Quote Originally Posted by Minimalis
    It seems like the Sony E-888 model's out of production and not available in the shops any more. Any one knows where there might be any sets left?
    Check out Carrefour @ Suntec City.
    Saw a few a couple of days back.

Sennheiser... The first one I've try was the PX100 (or was it XP...). Now using HD437. Can't be too bad, after all they do make hearing aid.

I don't know how the ER-6 compares to the ER-4P or the ER-4S. All I can say is that my ER-4P is outstanding
    Tried Shure E3C? Torn between the ER-6 and the E3C, but now with the 6i that is supposed to be designed specially for Ipod users in mind scheduled to be released this month, eliminates the ER-6. So, now it is bet the E3C and the 6i.

Any users of the E3C/E3 here care to comment?

I don't know how the ER-6 compares to the ER-4P or the ER-4S. All I can say is that my ER-4P is outstanding

How is the bass of the 4P's. So far I have heard that the sound is crisp and clear and the 4P's are supposed to be with enhanced bass so that we can listen to music w/o connecting them to amps. Just wanted to know how's the bass and what kind of music you listen to and what portable u carrying?

Thinking of getting one.

Where did you get yours?

Quote Originally Posted by fox
    How is the bass of the 4P's. So far I have heard that the sound is crisp and clear and the 4P's are supposed to be with enhanced bass so that we can listen to music w/o connecting them to amps. Just wanted to know how's the bass and what kind of music you listen to and what portable u carrying?

Thinking of getting one.

Where did you get yours?
    The ER-4P's are not with enhanced bass. They're of lower impedance which makes them easier to drive out of portables. OTOH, the ER-4S have higher impedance for driving out of amps but can sound better than the 4P's when doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Hong Jia
    How about trying the new panasonic in-ear earphones, they are better in reproducing sounds then MDR-71SL... Some more they retail at $50 dollar @ one of the shops in Shaw tower.

Went to the showroom to try the B&O earphone sometime ago, realise the sound quality is very flat, i still think that the MDR-71SL is so much better than the B&O, sometimes it is not worth paying so much for the name, and the B&O earphone do not block out sounds...

Cheers...

i got the panasonic 1, not bad!
    almost cut off the all the surrounding sound when i put it on and on the music

Saw 888 selling in one of the ground floor shops in SLS, forgot the name of the shop, quite a big shop... They retail for 70 dollars a pair, got both silver and champagne gold in stock... i think they got 3 pair each left...

Cheers, hope it helps

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456