Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for ear/headphones

Sennheiser is my choice

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    earphone is considered non-critical piece of equiptment. so, just anyhow buy a reasonably decent one can already =)
    To anyone who is serious about sound quality, this is the same as saying the camera lens is considered non-critical piece of equipment, so anyhow buy one reasonably decent one can already...
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Quote Originally Posted by Amfibius
    None of you have heard of etymotic earphones? These are really the best.

Etymotic is a manufacturer of hearing aids and branched out into audiophile earphones some time ago.

I own a pair of ER-4P's (driven by a Corda HA-1 headphone amplifier). The sound from these little babies rivals that of my rather expensive home hi-fi setup. The earphone sits inside your ear canal and has little rubber flanges that almost completely block outside noise. These flanges are so effective that my phone could go off next to me and I'll JUST be able to hear it.

How much? Don't ask ...
    The ER-6 actually looks like a viable lower priced alternative to the ER-4S/P. The price quoted by www.headphone.com is US$129, which is about 60% the price of the famed ER-4 series.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Just found out that ER-6 price at Amazon is US$99....

Deregistered

I don't know how the ER-6 compares to the ER-4P or the ER-4S. All I can say is that my ER-4P is outstanding

Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    Best headphone (but not too portable tho) : Sennheiser HD600. ~$700. Audiophile quality, better than almost any low-mid range speaker/hifi system.

Regards
    CK
    YES!

never regretted spending that $500.

You mean the 600 dropped to $440 liao? It was $700 when a friend bought it couple of years ago.

Regards
    CK
    kena chop liao. I paid $530 in mid-2000. now is $450 and the new HD650 is $600+ but heard going up to $800 for next shipment. according to hung bros in SLS.

Law of physics. Larger drivers tend to have better frequency response and can go deeper. The said HD600 can go as low as 16Hz IIRC. Don't buy based on specs though.

Regards
    CK
    most importantly it only reproduces deep bass if it is present in the source. if all you want is a boom pad then just put a shoebox over your ears

and man am I amazed by the bass from the HD600. I tried the HD590, not bad but still a headphone. THen I asked the guy casually, "how about the HD600?" and he went like "Oh! you want THAT kind of quality" rushed to the store room and brought out this nice box with this pair of cans. I put it on and turn on the music SH!T my $$ went rushing out of my wallet. I am gonna. I HAVE to HAVE this can!

Quote Originally Posted by marshy
    I'm using a Sony MDR-EX70... I tot this fella was really good, but when my friend yDanz bought the B&O and I compared both performance ... I got to admit defeat...

However, until now, I still can't bring myself to buy a pair of $175 earphones. But I'll say that if sound quality is of higher importance than cost factor... Earphones wise... its B&O....

Cheers
    I think you should go to Hung Bros and check out the high-end Senns. Of course they're not the aboslute best (me thinking of STAX) but I'm pretty sure the B&O is no match in audio performance. cool looks is something else entirely

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh
    Thanks for the feedback!

I read that HD580 and HD600 are essentially the same except for the casing and the headband.

They both use the same drivers and cables; HD580 has plastic casing while HD600 uses carbon fibre casing; HD580 uses plastic spring in the headband while HD600 uses stainless steel spring in the headband.

With the money I am willinfg to spend (<US$200) I think the HD580 gives the best value.

HD650 seems to be the best headphones money can buy, but at US$449 this is way beyond my budget...plus my ears may not have been trained enough to tell the difference.

Alternatively I can go for the HD280, which is sealed design. www.headphone.com rated it as the best sounding sealed headphones. Price at Amazon is US$79 while the MSRP is US$199. This is even better value for money, and I can cary it with me for travelling if I can find the space in my bag... . Any experience on HD280 to share?

Thanks!

Roy
    I don't think this is right. the HD600 and the HD590 is already a world apart.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    I don't think this is right. the HD600 and the HD590 is already a world apart.
    Based on what I've read, I believe 580, 600 and 650 uses the same driver, and basically the same casing structure. While the main difference between 580 and 600 is the material used for the casing, 650 has further improved baffle damping that delivers even more controlled and accurate sound than the previous 2. Sound quality wise, what I heard is that these 3 are similar but gets "better" progressively from 580 to 600 and then 650.

590 has a different design that delivers a brighter sound. So while I cannot disagree with you that HD600 and HD590 can sound very different, I would not extrapolate that difference towards how the HD580 sounds.

I understand that HD 580 has been discontinued, and HD 590 is supposed to be its replacement. Are there still HD 580s available in Singapore?

Thanks!

Roy

there seem to be only the HD590, 595, 600 and 650 in the line up. When I bought my 600 in mid-2000, I tested several 5 models, just one and two models below the 600. When I tried the 600, the difference is so big that I paid the extra $250 without hesitation

recently I tested the 600 and 650 at Hung Bros. The difference is very subtle, the 650 being somewhat more "full-bodied", certainly not enough to get me to pay the $200 difference!

now I recall the biggest difference between the 600 and the model below it (can't remember if it was the 570, 580 or 590 back in mid-2000, but it was priced at $320) was that the 600 doesn't make you feel you're listening to a headphone, the musicians don't seem to squat around inside your head like most headphones would. Till this day I still have trouble telling whether a noise I heard is from the source or from the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    now I recall the biggest difference between the 600 and the model below it (can't remember if it was the 570, 580 or 590 back in mid-2000, but it was priced at $320) was that the 600 doesn't make you feel you're listening to a headphone, the musicians don't seem to squat around inside your head like most headphones would. Till this day I still have trouble telling whether a noise I heard is from the source or from the environment.

So far all the reviews I have read from people who have compared the 580 with the 600 claims that the difference is insignificant between the two. I tend to believe them because the drivers and design are the same, and the only difference is the material used for the casing and headband.

Most reviews on the 580 (without comparing to the 600) claim that the sound stage is very open, which seems to agree with you experience with the 600.

So far the lowest price for the 580 I could find in the US is US$155 + US$10 shipping from a seller called hififorless on ebay. The drawback is that there is no warrantee from Sennheiser, just 6-month warrantee by the seller.

Thanks for youe feedback!

- Roy

OK, finally made up my mind and ordered the HD 580 from www.jr.com.

Price is US$159.99 with no tax and free shipping, and with manufacturer's warranty, which is 2 years according to Sennheiser's website.

Now the wait begins....

Best headphone (but not too portable tho) : Sennheiser HD600. ~$700. Audiophile quality, better than almost any low-mid range speaker/hifi system.

Regards
    CK
    HD600 is an excellent headphone. The thing is, unless you've got a fantastic system, else it's a bottleneck

HD580 is not too bad, very comfortable and quite good sealing. Half the price of the HD600, but that was 6 years ago (probably gone up ).

Just found out that ER-6 price at Amazon is US$99....
    where can find them in singapore? want to try it out first...time to replace my 7 years old Sony E-888 liao

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    where can find them in singapore? want to try it out first...time to replace my 7 years old Sony E-888 liao
    Go to Hung Brothers, 3rd Storey @ SLS. I'm sure you know your way around SLS. =)

MDR-E888's are great all-rounded earphones. The Ex series are more for bassheads.

Some people prefer the brighter Sennheiser MX-500's. They're cheap and if you like that kind of sound, they're a damn good buy.

Full sized headphones. Touchy topic..

I've tried almost the entire Audio Technica Audiophile range, Sennheiser HD 200/ 270/ 470/ 570/ 590/ 600/ 650, PX100/ 200, Beyer Dynamics DT 431/ 531/ 880/ 931, AKG K501/ K1000's as well as the Sony MDR-F1's (top open model) & CD3000's (2nd best closed model).

All in all, lets just say I condemn the HD600's to hell and back for it's price (even at it's current $450).

OK, finally made up my mind and ordered the HD 580 from www.jr.com.

Price is US$159.99 with no tax and free shipping, and with manufacturer's warranty, which is 2 years according to Sennheiser's website.

Now the wait begins....
    Do get an upgrade cable for the headphones. The stock cable doesn't make the mark. Locally, you can go to Music By Design at Adelphi for the Zu Mobius cable. Online, do try Stefan Audio Art's Equinox cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    Do get an upgrade cable for the headphones. The stock cable doesn't make the mark. Locally, you can go to Music By Design at Adelphi for the Zu Mobius cable. Online, do try Stefan Audio Art's Equinox cable.

Finally received my HD580 yeaterday.

Listened to it straight out of the box and I was not impressed. However, after breaking it in with my "Non-stop Hits from the 80's" CD for 8 hours and then ooooohhhhh......

Agree with a lot of the reviews that the sound is very open and detailed. Not sure why you condemned the HD600 so badly. If HD580 and HD600 should sound very similar because of the same drivers used, then you would most likely junk the HD580 also. Maybe you have listened to a pair that hasn't been "seasoned".

The difference between before and after breaking in is really significant. So far happy with my choice. Will look into cable upgrading when I have the budget later...

- Roy

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast