Thread: Getting Started.

Default Getting Started.

Hi guys!

I got started in photography like 6 months back but I never done much about it. Finally decided to set up a site to showcase my photos and for people to help critique on them.

They are here: www.picspirations.blogspot.com.

I would really appreciate the comments on which aspect is good and what needs improving.

Thanks!

Alexandria

Default Getting Started

Hi guys!

I got started in photography like 6 months back but I never done much about it. Finally decided to set up a site to showcase my photos and for people to help critique on them.

They are here: www.picspirations.blogspot.com.

I would really appreciate the comments on which aspect is good and what needs improving.

Thanks!

Alexandria

Default Re: Getting Started

Hmm you're certainly further along than some of the other newbies I see here. But there's still some misses that's bound for the bin. Sugary Feast for example. And some that aren't quite there yet but hold promise, I'm amused by the preserved duck. I'm only looking at the first page thou.

Your latest entry, 4th Feb, it's just compositionally bad... centred, behind the subject, subject doesn't even fit your words (training wheels is to courage?)... and then earlier photographs show that you understand design. You've got some great shots (you know which ones), I don't know if it's a APAD thing you want to keep doing but I'd say right off you're not consistent. Of course it's up to you to include snap shots of happy moments eg Indulgence but it's out-of-place in your interesting series.

Hi Fox Two,

thanks for the feedback. How can one be more consistent? Hmm...at first I was considering photography all aspects of life. Not just the abstract stuff. Is that where the inconsistency comes in? Am seriously considering trying to establish myself as a photographer, so I really do need all the advice I can get. And I guess my first step is to get an DSLR yeah? Still shooting on my Canon Powershot S3

I meant consistency in the quality of photographs. Being strict with yourself; have high standards; bin photos which do not make the cut. Perhaps it's due to you wanting to shoot something different that 4th Feb was posted but you know you can do better. Another direction another composition. You know the thing about a series of photographs is only as good as the weakest shot (or something like that, lol), hence don't compromise.

It really doesn't matter what equipment you use. Although eventually we all seem to graduate to owning a DSLR but unless you find your S3 holding you back then I don't see the need to splash the cash. You seem to have the basics of abstract/still life, portraits and landscape nailed, which other genres are you looking at? Street candids, khairi/zaren (fellow CSers) have used non-dslrs to great success. Khairi's around somewhere (he has a DSLR now though), he recently posted in Street gallery sub-forum but I haven't seen zaren this year. Take a look at zaren's past APADs.