Thread: OTG HDDs with Macs

Default OTG HDDs with Macs

Hi,

Anyone out there know any proven "On-The-Go" casings that works with OS X Leopard?
    There are a lot of casings that works with earlier versions of OSX, but not Lepoard.

Prefer one that uses AA batteries.

Thanks.

Default Re: OTG HDDs with Macs

Sorry ar, not too sure what Onthego is, but how about you get those USB powered harddrives?
    Meow!

It's those that don't need a computer, can transfer files from a card reader directly to the device, which has a harddisk inside.

no one?

hmm dun see why the old ones wont work with leopard.. if so than leopard would be terrible unfrenly for backwards compatiable stuff..
    when u say OTG, did you actually mean one with card reader?
    or really jus OTG function with batteries included?
    cos I have see ONLY one 2.5" casing with OTG function and takes AA battery (very rare find) can't gurantee compatible with mac
    so far OTG casings i see ahve no battery. they do take in a DC5V powersupply though..

eh in summary i think AA battery one hard to find now
    OTG + mac + AA battery very hard to find.

i suggest get one with card reader (uses Li ion ) battery but has option to use DC power (good for travel also since DC supply usually can use overseas also 110V to 240V)

planex (PCI) seems like a good buy $65 .. mac compatible but leopard i can't gurantee .. if urs is macbook bring it there to test to be sure lor..

Quote Originally Posted by slaam View Post
    hmm dun see why the old ones wont work with leopard.. if so than leopard would be terrible unfrenly for backwards compatiable stuff..
    when u say OTG, did you actually mean one with card reader?
    or really jus OTG function with batteries included?
    cos I have see ONLY one 2.5" casing with OTG function and takes AA battery (very rare find) can't gurantee compatible with mac
    so far OTG casings i see ahve no battery. they do take in a DC5V powersupply though..

eh in summary i think AA battery one hard to find now
    OTG + mac + AA battery very hard to find.

i suggest get one with card reader (uses Li ion ) battery but has option to use DC power (good for travel also since DC supply usually can use overseas also 110V to 240V)

planex (PCI) seems like a good buy $65 .. mac compatible but leopard i can't gurantee .. if urs is macbook bring it there to test to be sure lor..
    I have 2 OTG hard disk casings.
    Both are those that u need to attach an external 4xAA batt holder and card reader.

The problem comes when I plug into leopard. The thing just don't detect.
    But when I boot camp into vista (on the same machine), everything works perfectly.

Definitely not the file system too. I took the HDD in the OTG, and put into a normal casing (no OTG functions), and it works perfectly in both OS.

Damn... I'm beginning to hate big cats.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post
    I have 2 OTG hard disk casings.
    Both are those that u need to attach an external 4xAA batt holder and card reader.

The problem comes when I plug into leopard. The thing just don't detect.
    But when I boot camp into vista (on the same machine), everything works perfectly.

Definitely not the file system too. I took the HDD in the OTG, and put into a normal casing (no OTG functions), and it works perfectly in both OS.

Damn... I'm beginning to hate big cats.
    ah now i see your prob better
    hmm seems like a leopard issue
    this post even suggests NOT using USB HDD with leopard

maybe u shld jus wait for apple to fix the prob rather than to buy more stuff to feed the new cat lolz
    Last edited by slaam; 11th February 2008 at 01:49 AM.

Thanks.

Didn't know that the cat had so much problems with USB devices.

With a USB casing, it will work.
    With a firewire casing, it will work,
    With a USB casing/SATA, it will not work.

So far, i've tried with a couple of casings, it is a connection issue, nothing to do with the harddisk inside. I even tried, if i plug a USB/SATA casing, not only it will not detect, subsequent drives (...even thumbdrives), it will not work until you reboot the Mac.

The problem is still ongoing now.
    mOi bLoG - "i bLoG, dO yOu?"

Quote Originally Posted by slaam View Post

Oh no...this sounds like bad news... coz my mac m/c arriving soon with leopard on it...
    Jerfotography Nikon D300
    Power by iMac MBP iPhone 6+ iPad Air

i had a vosonic vp5500 with sata hard disk format in FAT32, which also not able to detect by my mac os 10.5. make a call to apple singapore and was tell it will not able to read FAT format. but it work well when i boot it to window xp by bootcamp.

How...anyone see improved connectivity with their USB device after upgrading to 10.5.2
    Jerfotography Nikon D300
    Power by iMac MBP iPhone 6+ iPad Air

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    How...anyone see improved connectivity with their USB device after upgrading to 10.5.2
    Done Time Machine backup using Seagate external harddisk after upgrading to 10.5.2. No difference.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    Done Time Machine backup using Seagate external harddisk after upgrading to 10.5.2. No difference.
    you wont see a perf upgrade cos its a bug update.

what happened for some ppl is that the image files were corrupted after transfer to usb HDD you wont know error occured unless u do checksum chking for data integrity..

if u jus back up with time machine you wont c the diff until u try to restore ur data.
    that's when u know **** happened
    Last edited by slaam; 14th February 2008 at 09:41 AM.