Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Norton? McAfee? or Trend Micro?

Default Re: Norton? McAfee? or Trend Micro?

I think any of the above is fine. Actually no need to install anti virus if you are not visiting those potential high risk websites. Remember to constantly update your patches. Also don't anyhow open email attachment. Make sure your windows firewall is on. If you use p2p programs, then your risk is higher too.
    "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."- Jim Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    to summarize the posts above, all virus scanners sucks, all virus scanners rocks.

which is true, because corporate antivirus are the ones which works the way i want them to, not those gimmicky home-based scanners that trys to squeeze out money from new yearly editions.

if you can afford or have a company that uses corporate editions, go for it. otherwise, just print out this thread, take a dart, randomly throw it, and follow the post the darts hits.
    I think that's how my IT department chooses their software -.-
    Meow!

AVG, Zonealarm and spybot- search/destroy

Anyway,i recommend AVG Anti Virus or Internet Security.Which one is up to you.The latter comes with additional Firewall,Anti Spyware and AntiSpam filter.

it is actually a word of advise that it is better to do all your surfing in office so that the corporate anti-virus will scan for you. then download the file to your usb drives or memory card to bring home. this is what i used to do when i became retired.

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    to summarize the posts above, all virus scanners sucks, all virus scanners rocks.

which is true, because corporate antivirus are the ones which works the way i want them to, not those gimmicky home-based scanners that trys to squeeze out money from new yearly editions.

if you can afford or have a company that uses corporate editions, go for it. otherwise, just print out this thread, take a dart, randomly throw it, and follow the post the darts hits.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    i'm intending to get a copy of anti virus program. pretty confuse for which to go for particularly the above 3 types of anti virus. please advice......... thanks in advance.
    Use an operating system with no virus : http://www.ubuntu.com

I've used all 3 (Norton Mcafee and TrendMicro)
    in the order of M-C-TM
    After using TM, i found that my start-up is Much faster.
    I think Norton slows your computer down the most during start-up.
    Virus dectection wise, i feel that they are all equal. I never did get any virus from any of them. (Unless they are undected la)
    Price wise, if i am not wrong, TM is the cheapest.
    My $0.02 worth.

My preferences is Norton > Mcaffe > Kaspersky.

Quote Originally Posted by alwayschampion View Post
    My preferences is Norton > Mcaffe > Kaspersky.
    Err... Kaspersky engine is better than the Norton and Mcaffe...

Yes, Kaspersky has good detection engine. In overall, in my opinon, Norton has a upper edge.

Yes, Kaspersky has good detection engine. In overall, in my opinon, Norton has a upper edge.
    Care to explain why Norton is better? Thanks

I agreed. I have used AVG, NOD32 and Norton on my laptop. All expire after the initial 1 or 2 years. Only the Norton last longer.

Norton, McAfee & Trendmicro are jokes... (unless you're talking about SAVCE - its a different beast meant for corporate environments.)

Norton & McAfee - seen too many end users having problems after a disinfection. Heck ... even uninstalling their antivirus solutions leave windows with so much problems that you're better off reloading your windows.

TM - shan't talk about them. They're yesterday's product.

AVG & Avast - so far still ok. Very little problems heard from end users.

NOD32 - Cheap. Good. $35 only IIRC. Currently using it and i'd recommend it over the rest.Why?

1. Daily updates/updated
    2. Monitors literally - everything (cept probably when you go to the loo) - yes it monitors your webpages as you surf. Haven't gotten any major infection so far.
    3. Small memory footprint (compared to the rest)

As for spyware etc. Use adware or Spybot search & destroy - which literally completes your "suite".
    Last edited by dEthANGeL; 10th February 2008 at 01:40 AM.

Yes. NOD32 is good too. NOD32 now comes with internet security which covers spyware too for their new version.

Symantec endpoint has updates for 3 times interval daily.

Yes. NOD32 is good too. NOD32 now comes with internet security which covers spyware too for their new version.

Symantec endpoint has updates for 3 times interval daily.
    Zone Alarm Security Suit armed with firewall, Anti-Virus (Kaspersky engine) and Anti Spyware. is a better bet?

Quote Originally Posted by scanner View Post
    Zone Alarm Security Suit armed with firewall, Anti-Virus (Kaspersky engine) and Anti Spyware. is a better bet?
    ZA i'm sorry to say is in the same league as TM. Sadly, the most decent firewall - Sygate - has been bought over by symantec and has EOLed.

Kaspersky is good but still not as good as NOD32 i feel. Previously was using kaspersky, too much memory foot print.

Symantec Endpoint is still too new. Having some issues with several users already using Endpoint, not to mention server end as well.

IMHO, any of these three is okay, they are all popular and well known.
    Each has its own strengths and weaknesses.
    I use Norton because it's simple and smart enough to know what to do, so no need much users intervention.
    Used McAfee before, very detailed, perhaps too detail, need a lot of users to make decisions, good for users who want a lot of controls.
    Sorry never use Trench Micro, but I would consider if price is good.
    I've got 3 PCs using Norton, so far no infection, provided update regularly.
    Hope this helps.

BTW,AVG is having a unlimited offer - after the first 2 year of subscription,you will enjoy 50% discount off the current price when u resubscribe.Kind of tempting.\

Norton sucks..those who have a brand new PC with Norton,compare the startup time with Norton and after uninstalling Norton.Result is best seen in XP.
    Results for Windows XP on new PC - u know the welcome jingle?After the first note of the jingle,u can already see the desktop and already ready to surf.With Norton u have to wait until the jingle's over then u can see the desktop.
    Last edited by ceecookie; 10th February 2008 at 02:13 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ceecookie View Post
    Better edit this b4 stupid mods see this.

really,mods should get a life.such is the pathethic state of the rules heere
    Trouble maker do not deserve a membership here. You are hereby de-registered.

does ceecookie calling the mod "stupid" warranty him being deregister here?
    On what basis is he being labelled a trouble marker?

The mod should explain clearly the rationale for banning some one instead of giving a generic statement like that.

Quote Originally Posted by chngpe01 View Post
    Trouble maker do not deserve a membership here. You are hereby de-registered.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast