Thread: neat image 2.2 question...

Default neat image 2.2 question...

how come the size of the pic after processing is only ard half the original size? r details being removed, lowering quality?

Noise actually takes up space. Whether it be in images or sound. So removing noise actually helps to reduce file size and this also is dependent on the file type compression algorithm. JPEG has very good compression rate for photos.

Digitally, some info may be lost as certain details may be mistaken for noise. But visually it looks better if done right.

If you are using the "free" version of neatimage, I note that there is no control over the amount of jpeg compression used to save the processed image. As such, the smaller file size could also be due to a higher compression ratio being used by neatimage (as compared to that used by your camera)??

well, i couldnt detect any obvious loss in detail, though the picture does get over-smoothed. another thing, details like ISO settings n all that disappear, so mebe dat's the reason.

I've Neatimage Home but I use ASF Digital GEM the most because it's a Photoshop plug-in. I shoot RAW files and too lazy to convert to TIFFs for NetImage.