Thread: Is Dry Box Good enough?

Default Is Dry Box Good enough?

Hi all, just last week I purchase my very very first DSLR 350D and some accessories and currently BROKE!!! Just bought a Drybox from MS color with Silica Gel. Is dry box good enough to store my cam and accessories in terms of dryness?

Default Re: Is Dry Box Good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelion View Post
    Hi all, just last week I purchase my very very first DSLR 350D and some accessories and currently BROKE!!! Just bought a Drybox from MS color with Silica Gel. Is dry box good enough to store my cam and accessories in terms of dryness?
    Personally I have been using dry boxes since the early days of SLRs. I still use it these days when I have my gear at home. At my office I really don't keep my stuff in a box. Another reason for this is I keep my gear clean everytime I am finish with using it. And I use my gear at least 2-3 times per week as I do product shoot in my office or it is stuff into my haversack to go walk about with me on weekends when I want to go shoot about town.

Because I don't keep my gear like for weeks or months in a casing....having one of those expensive cabinet with temp control is mute. I am sure there will be those who will disagree with me. But I am one who after all this years, I don't buy more gear then I need thus when I bring my gear out to shoot...everything goes with me. Nothing is left in the box. I don't put my flash in a box since my office and room is air con..it should be fine.

The only thing I always recall or notice about keeping my gear in good order is about how often i use them. For me, anything you don't use often enough, over time, they tend to age, get mouldy or deteriorate alot faster then when you use them.

But that's just me.

Default Re: Is Dry Box Good enough?

Worth the risk over a few thousand dollars worth of gear?

Up to you, but I'd rather invest in a good dry cabinet after hearing so much of the horror stories of not taking care of the lenses. I was given a few lenses by my ex-colleague last year and they were all fungused. Lucky I managed to recover a lens for my own use, the rest I sold off as parts or to the willing buyer.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site