Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Digital Photography safe?

Blog Entries

Safe? No.

I have been taking digital since the 1.2mp Fuji was marketed.

Until 2 years ago, I had about 10 gb of pictures. These were back-up on CDR, (about 18 -20 of them) once every 3 months. After my trip to France then, I downloaded my pics and were happily touching up and arranging them before backing up on CDR. Just when you least expected my harddisk crashed. I spent $450 for data recoverery service, could not recover any pic and was told pics file unlike document are difficult to recover. So? lost pics of my trip and $450

Now I have 4 harddisk (3 x 120Gb and 1 x 60Gb), one to hold my pics, one for backup, another for backup of backup and one for applications and digital workflow. I just change 2 hard disk last month when I heard the dreadful clicking sound.

You can say I am Kiasu but learnt my lesson the hard way.

Originally posted by jasphotography
    After what I have raised in this thread plus DeepZpace's true life testimony, are you guys going to sleep well thinking your CDr or CDrw are fool & fungus proof?

I've had something grow on a CD rendering part of it unreadable, and it wouldn't clean off either. Scratched the surface trying.

Seen a faulty CD writer burn a hole in the disk...

CDR will fade with time - they are not archival - especially the cheap ones. CDRW even more prone to eventual fade.

No one has really tested how well disks like the supposed archival quality 'Kodak Gold Pro' type things really last - as none have been around that long yet!.

However the more expensive disks probably have more stable dyes in them, so will hold data longer.

The trick is working which of the cheap generic CDRs are really from the same factory as the quality name brand ones and which cheap ones really are cheap junk :-)

I wouldn't be trusting things like zip disks either - you can't see when they get fungus growing on them (they are NOT sealed) and then you stick it in the drive and ruin the head in the drive as well....
    Lost data AND lost zip drive....

Default Re: Is Digital Photography safe?

haunt some fellow digital users' minds at night
    c'mon man. i just watch darkness falls...true it was a dumb movie. but i do have a history of dark-phobia man.

brr..i DO see weird stuff at night can??

anyway, i wish to print my more treasured digi pics out and make it into an album... and probably store it as family heirloom..haha..

but the sad reality is, it's true man...we take a few pics of hornbills or some birds/animals/insects/buildings/landscape now, who can tell these birds/animals/insects/buildings/landscape will still be arnd at the turn of the century?

print, CD, harddrive, dvd, album...anything, everything. if i feel my photos are precious enough...
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
    www.theyummyphotographer.blogspot.com

if you have the $:

1. Run a SCSI Raid 5 array of at least 3 SCSI Harddisks in your PC. SCSI HDDs are very trustworthy and lasting, and what's more is that they are muich faster than normal IDE ones. IDE can never be as much as SCSI, even those latest models claiming to be so is just a marketing gimmick.

2. Get Verbatim CDRs to backup, they are reliable enough.

3. And get tape storage.

blind me, how many of these Iomega Zip disks would you need?
    I have a internal zip drive and dozen of 250MB zip disks and half a dozen of 100MB disks..... but I never used them as a proper storage media. They are used more for temporary file storage and transfer.
    Ai yah, me too have both couple of 100 and 250MB and I found it sufficient. Even can name them individualy on the disk. If you want bigger capacity go and get the 1GB.

I think the problem with you is not the capacity, but filing management. You need to improve them, then everything can solve.

Make life easier.

Cheers.

Jas, there's no need to worry about storage of you images, you should be worried more on your money in the bank. They use the same technology.

Cheers.

Originally posted by DeepZpace
    :Is CD-RW better or CD-R????
    So far, one after another the CDRW broked down, all my data in the CDRW disk still can be retrived by normal cd rom driver.

Oh ya, I found that the internal driver is more reliable than the external one.

Cheers.

same with anything in the world, be it photos film or digital, files, documents, boyfriends, girlfriends, babies, wallets etc.. it is the degree of care that you have given it. too much is being paranoid, too little you would only have yourself to blame should anything be lost.

i would still think digital images are easier to keep than film negatives. i personally would think cd r is better than cd rw. you wouldnt override your data, to cause any pain not deliberate deletion. and cd r is so cheap, you can even use it as coasters when you are done and over with them.

Originally posted by meng
    if you have the $:

1. Run a SCSI Raid 5 array of at least 3 SCSI Harddisks in your PC. SCSI HDDs are very trustworthy and lasting, and what's more is that they are muich faster than normal IDE ones. IDE can never be as much as SCSI, even those latest models claiming to be so is just a marketing gimmick.

3. And get tape storage.
    Ya Jas, this is another way if you have the money, the space and if you think your images worth a million bucks.

Another way, create a partition on your current hard disk.

Cheers.

Deregistered

Originally posted by DeepZpace
    I lost quite a number of pics on my Memorex 12X CD-RW!!!! I remembered burning some pics into it on top of those that were already in there and when i verified they were in there. but recently when i took out the cd to view the pics, THEY WERE GONE!!!!

Any1 got the same experience?

Is CD-RW better or CD-R????

My collection of pix runs over 36 sets of CDR/RWs.....
    For CDRs, I use Verbatim (Mitsubishi Chem) and Smart Buy (Prodisc) media. My RWs are exclusively Verbatim Ultra Speed (upgraded end of 02). Of course, this does not include the second 120Gb hdd and the small proportion of hardcopy prints I made...

But I can only wish for a SCSI RAID... errr... anyone willing to donate $$$ to get me one?

Originally posted by suhaimig
    Ya Jas, this is another way if you have the money, the space and if you think your images worth a million bucks.

Another way, create a partition on your current hard disk.

Cheers.
    creating another partition will not help if your HDD suffer a physical failure.

Getting a cheap (IDE) RAID system is the best solution of protecting your run-time data. Nowadays your can also get an external HDD and hook up a firewire port. (Even if not for your pic, this level of redundency is minimum for important datas)

IF you data are worth a lot more...try also to add a web hosting solution. Still you need the above mentioned RAID on your run-time datas.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Originally posted by CYRN
    creating another partition will not help if your HDD suffer a physical failure.

Getting a cheap (IDE) RAID system is the best solution of protecting your run-time data. Nowadays your can also get an external HDD and hook up a firewire port. (Even if not for your pic, this level of redundency is minimum for important datas)

IF you data are worth a lot more...try also to add a web hosting solution. Still you need the above mentioned RAID on your run-time datas.
    Things to share:

1. Firewire gives you speed, may not guarantee its save.

2. I'm not sure by web hosting can guarantee too, it uses the same technology.

Please don't get excited, just share your experience on hand...ok

Cheers.

Originally posted by chngpe01
    Safe? No.

Until 2 years ago, I had about 10 gb of pictures. These were back-up on CDR, (about 18 -20 of them) once every 3 months. After my trip to France then, I downloaded my pics and were happily touching up and arranging them before backing up on CDR. Just when you least expected my harddisk crashed. I spent $450 for data recoverery service, could not recover any pic and was told pics file unlike document are difficult to recover. So? lost pics of my trip and $450
    You have my deepest sympathy

To make you feel better, there was once I lost my one and only camera (a compact cam) while I was in Italy (Venice, Rome, Pisa, Florence), 1 year before I get seriously into photography. So, I didn't get a replacement camera then, relying on my friend's ...

Originally posted by suhaimig
    Things to share:

1. Firewire gives you speed, may not guarantee its save.

2. I'm not sure by web hosting can guarantee too, it uses the same technology.

Please don't get excited, just share your experience on hand...ok

Cheers.
    I'm actually pointing out alternative methods for redundency data protection... my worst experience is losing a few very important files due to the famous MS Win 3.1 BSOD and when I tried to DIY a 386DX...since then, I've always had 2 HDD in my PC.

Now norton system works is giving my the main bulk of headaches
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

I'm actually pointing out alternative methods for redundency data protection... my worst experience is losing a few very important files due to the famous MS Win 3.1 BSOD and when I tried to DIY a 386DX...since then, I've always had 2 HDD in my PC.

Hello brother, my 386 long time has been given away, you still use them ah...

You can throw away the norton system works, use the single version of norton utilities.

Cheers.

yups, so far, if costs allow, SCSI Raid 5 is the best, even servers and web hosting use these. If not, cheapest is to backup on a few different types of CD and other media

Ermm, not trying to diss you, but ...
    Originally posted by meng
    if you have the $:

You're not basing this on the price of SCSI disks, are you ? I haven't found any correlation between the type of interface or disk geometry and failure rate ... when they die, they die. Why do you think online hot-swapping is a big selling point in large disk arrays ?

Personally, I'd rather spend the money on more IDE disks and interfaces, and renew/upgrade them more often.
    Verbatim seems to have good QC, but I would go one extra kiasee step and use another brand for a second copy, eg. TDK. All it takes is a faulty batch to deteriorate in 3 years, and your precious data is gone, gone, gone.
    3. And get tape storage.
    Nowadays tape is expensive, slow and not adequate. A newer technology like DVD+RW will outperform tape in a home/small office environment ... tape nowadays only come into its own in more complex multi-tiered backup solutions.

Feel free to rebut

I'm not intending my post to become a technical discussion.

well,
    Price is an issue.
    Set aside the costs aspect, SCSI harddisks are much more reliable and lasting. This is a very big + point already. The online hot-swapping is another + point.
    If you have ever tried SCSI, you'll know what I mean.

As for the rest of the points, I'll not rebut. Up to individual to decide.

Last point, it's up to one's needs to decide if one intends to spend the $ to setup a backup system. A professional who depends on photography for living might spend a lot on these. A hobbyist might just use the normal CD Burner and CDR/CDRW.Period
    Originally posted by ericp
    Ermm, not trying to diss you, but ...

You're not basing this on the price of SCSI disks, are you ? I haven't found any correlation between the type of interface or disk geometry and failure rate ... when they die, they die. Why do you think online hot-swapping is a big selling point in large disk arrays ?

Personally, I'd rather spend the money on more IDE disks and interfaces, and renew/upgrade them more often.

Verbatim seems to have good QC, but I would go one extra kiasee step and use another brand for a second copy, eg. TDK. All it takes is a faulty batch to deteriorate in 3 years, and your precious data is gone, gone, gone.

Nowadays tape is expensive, slow and not adequate. A newer technology like DVD+RW will outperform tape in a home/small office environment ... tape nowadays only come into its own in more complex multi-tiered backup solutions.

Feel free to rebut
    Last edited by meng; 3rd June 2003 at 04:07 PM.

Originally posted by mpenza
    I generally keep two copies.... one in the internal harddisk and one in an external harddisk. important photos are additionally back up and transported to off site
    HDD is cheap and so much faster and easier to search & browse. I keep 1 copy on internal HDD and another on external HDD as well. Every few months I cut CDs ( a time consuming process) and store them off site.

Well, i have no problems with storing my digital images.
    I like those old age hdd such as those of 2.1 GB, especially Western Digital model.
    Had few of those and after few years of abuse, still working in tip-top condition.
    As for my previous 10GB, 20GB and 40GB hdd, those of seagate brand(made in singapore) dies out within 4-9 mths. Those of quantum last longer, normally 1 yr half to 2 year odd. Those of IBM never tried much, coz i stopped using IBM after i purchased the 30GB version which is full of defects and went thru many replacements just for that.

So, now i store my precious pictures in my different 2.1GB WD HDD. Of course, i do burn the pictures into CD-R too.

Still find the Western Digital is the best among the IDE HDDs.

The moral of the story is:
    Dun buy singapore made Quantum HDD, u probably had already heard horror stories from maybe ur close frens or someone u know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast