Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: Is Digital Photography safe?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,305

    Default Is Digital Photography safe?

    As compared to conventional photography which has physical backup (negative/slide), is digital file safe from being lost forever?

    What happen if your hard disk crashed one day and your backup CD Roms are no longer readable which I am sure this happened to few of our members here?

    How have you done or would you do to safeguard the interest of your invaluable picture files?

    Have not been sleeping well lately, thought I should bring this issue up and haunt some fellow digital users' minds at night of my selfish thought.

  2. #2
    Member Knighthunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Pigeon Hole in Mandalay
    Posts
    958

    Default

    I feel that CDR is more resilent compared to negative or slides. I just keep my CDR on the CD wallet but I have to keep my neagtive/slides on air-tight box to prevent it being moldy....
    Just my opinion.
    W204FL

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    hahaha evil man...

    well there's always Kodak Photo CDs... they're supposed to last 5 times longer than normal CD-Roms.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    323

    Default

    No need to think so much about it safety. My experience in storing data in CDR may not good, as I found that some time the CDRW would gone mad. But since then, I keep all my data in Iomega zip disk. If you bought the external drive version, you can bring all the files with you anywhere.

    To help you getting well to sleep tonight, don't worry so much, first thing tommorrow morning get your butt to CP and make yourself to buy a digital camera body....

    Don't worry about me, I already start saving.

    Cheers.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Dear Larry, jangan tak jadi....

    Cheers.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    I generally keep two copies.... one in the internal harddisk and one in an external harddisk. important photos are additionally back up and transported to off site
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,828

    Default

    Buy some webspace from a secure hosting site and you can upload all your photos!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    Originally posted by suhaimig
    Dear Larry, jangan tak jadi....

    Cheers.
    eh, bang, apa tak jadi? tak faham leh...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Originally posted by Larry
    eh, bang, apa tak jadi? tak faham leh...
    Upgrade to digital body lah.

    Cheers.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Is Digital Photography safe?

    Huh, thought its probably safer than film...
    I put my digital photos in CDRs. They are probably as "vulnerable" as your negs/slides. But duplicatings CDs are sooo much cheaper than duplicating your negs/slides.......

    ..NuTs..

    Originally posted by jasphotography
    As compared to conventional photography which has physical backup (negative/slide), is digital file safe from being lost forever?

    What happen if your hard disk crashed one day and your backup CD Roms are no longer readable which I am sure this happened to few of our members here?

    How have you done or would you do to safeguard the interest of your invaluable picture files?

    Have not been sleeping well lately, thought I should bring this issue up and haunt some fellow digital users' minds at night of my selfish thought.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Originally posted by suhaimig
    No need to think so much about it safety. My experience in storing data in CDR may not good, as I found that some time the CDRW would gone mad. But since then, I keep all my data in Iomega zip disk. If you bought the external drive version, you can bring all the files with you anywhere.

    Those 100Meg zip disk? Have you heard of the "death of click".

    Used to own those disk... and had this problem.

  12. #12
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    Originally posted by binbeto
    Those 100Meg zip disk? Have you heard of the "death of click".

    Used to own those disk... and had this problem.
    yep. in fact i'd gone down to iomega in chai chee and exchanged one or two COD'ed 100mb disks years ago...

  13. #13

    Default

    By the time your CD is about to die, it is probably also time to transfer all your CDs to DVD-ROMs or some terabyte media .. and one better do so before they stop manufacturing CD-compatible readers.

  14. #14
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ClubSNAP community
    Posts
    2,775

    Default

    Is it safe?
    The pictures taken - absolutely so. Especially if you are more kiasu... CDR, CDRW, HDD, ZIP, CF, hard copy prints....
    The sanctity of the file/image - less so. sometimes, you might edit and save over, forgetting to keep the original one...
    The camera - errrrrr.......

    Anyway, I've 2CDRs, 1 CDRW and 1 more on hdd. Some even make it to become hardcopies....

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,305

    Default

    Originally posted by Knighthunter
    I feel that CDR is more resilent compared to negative or slides. I just keep my CDR on the CD wallet but I have to keep my neagtive/slides on air-tight box to prevent it being moldy....
    Just my opinion.
    Originally posted by nuts
    Huh, thought its probably safer than film...
    I put my digital photos in CDRs. They are probably as "vulnerable" as your negs/slides. But duplicatings CDs are sooo much cheaper than duplicating your negs/slides.......

    ..NuTs..
    Of course I know duplicating CD is so much easier and cheaper. But, who has this habit of backuping their picture files every now and then, needless to say make 2 backup copies?

    One day you never know, one night you forgot or lazy to backup your files and the next morning you woke up, your PC gone wonky or your laptop gone missing!

    Once a digital file is gone/corrupted, it is gone forever with no return. If a slide/negative gets mouldy, at least something physical is there to salvage on.

    I myself took slides/negatives and have them scanned in. In a way, I have double protection which digital users don't.

    Even then, I still don't feel entirely comfortable, especially with time, readability of my CD Rom which I have backup my scanned & edited digital files.

    I still have quite a number of files left in my hard drive yet to burn but then I can afford it..... and "you" can't!



    Originally posted by Larry
    hahaha evil man...

    well there's always Kodak Photo CDs... they're supposed to last 5 times longer than normal CD-Roms.
    Oh, really? Are these CDs very much more expensive? Have you used them before and can swear for me or under thunder & lightning of their reliability?


    Originally posted by suhaimig
    No need to think so much about it safety. My experience in storing data in CDR may not good, as I found that some time the CDRW would gone mad. But since then, I keep all my data in Iomega zip disk. If you bought the external drive version, you can bring all the files with you anywhere.

    blind me, how many of these Iomega Zip disks would you need?
    I have a internal zip drive and dozen of 250MB zip disks and half a dozen of 100MB disks..... but I never used them as a proper storage media. They are used more for temporary file storage and transfer.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,305

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza
    I generally keep two copies.... one in the internal harddisk and one in an external harddisk. important photos are additionally back up and transported to off site
    wow, you are very "safety first" - An Quan Di Yi !!!

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,678

    Default

    Or you can dump it at data centre with tape backup.

    CDRs are generally good enough. Else invest in tape backups like DLTs.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default

    Most important rule when it comes to archiving photos to CD: Don't stinge! Buy reputable brands, and buy TWO different brands. Because the technology is still relatively new, we don't really know if CD-Rs can stand the test of time. So getting two CD-R brands that use two different materials and manufacturing processes would be playing it quite safe.

    IMO, digital images should outlast negs, as far as retaining original image quality is concerned, IF they can be retreived lah.

  19. #19

    Default

    I lost quite a number of pics on my Memorex 12X CD-RW!!!! I remembered burning some pics into it on top of those that were already in there and when i verified they were in there. but recently when i took out the cd to view the pics, THEY WERE GONE!!!!

    Any1 got the same experience?

    Is CD-RW better or CD-R????
    Please do not respond to ads from a long time ago. Chances are items have already been sold.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,305

    Default

    Originally posted by DeepZpace
    I lost quite a number of pics on my Memorex 12X CD-RW!!!! I remembered burning some pics into it on top of those that were already in there and when i verified they were in there. but recently when i took out the cd to view the pics, THEY WERE GONE!!!!

    Any1 got the same experience?

    Is CD-RW better or CD-R????
    After what I have raised in this thread plus DeepZpace's true life testimony, are you guys going to sleep well thinking your CDr or CDrw are fool & fungus proof?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •