Thread: Whats the diff between ND filter and polariser?

Default Whats the diff between ND filter and polariser?

both reduce light.
    polariser can reduce reflection too.

So i get polariser is enough?
    i take outdoor shoot
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Default Re: Whats the diff between ND filter and polariser?

Besides reducing reflections, it also reduces the scattering of light so that you get increased contrast or colour saturation of your subject, e.g. the sky.

Yes, based on your research, you could use the polarizer as a 'stop-gap' 1-2 stop ND filter but there are also situations whereby 1-2 stop may not be sufficient for your task at hand.

Use the right tool when called for.

if wanna create silky water i can only achieve using nd right? Do they come as a set or i can buy single filter? How much does it cost for low end ones for 46mm?
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

which shop should i buy from in sim lim so that won't get con? Which brand of 46mm circular polariser should i get with low budget? I'm only using lumix fz18

Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    which shop should i buy from in sim lim so that won't get con? Which brand of 46mm circular polariser should i get with low budget? I'm only using lumix fz18
    I think you will get better choices and prices if you head over to Peninsula area. You can find more low to high end filters there. I am sure there will have something for below $50 for your camera ring size.

I use to see some low end brand selling in sets of 3 but that is like many many many years ago heheh..when I was still using SLRs. The better brands usually sell them as single units at difference density strengths.

if wanna create silky water i can only achieve using nd right? Do they come as a set or i can buy single filter? How much does it cost for low end ones for 46mm?
    not really

it depends on the light

at night you don't even need any nd or polarising filters. understanding that silky water comes as a result of a certain length of exposure would help you understand better how to achieve it. most daytime water shots with good ambient lighting would require a significantly dark nd filter though.

alan photo sell hoya circular polariser for 40. Is it cheap or ex?

for a member registered since nov 04, you should be more familiar with the forums than this

there is a price guide initiated by ortega here, please use it. it may not have been updated so you can adjust the price up slightly, but nothing as dramatic as 1.5x or twofold.

also, caveat empor, do homework and call up different stores to check their pricings, and make sure you are clear about which product you are asking for, hoya cpl got different versions, iirc.

Sorry bro...have not been uying one in the last few years. It depends on what brand too. I personally use B+W.

What brand was it that you got this quote? I rarely buy from Alan photo unless no one else in Singapore has it heheh...that tells you what I personally think of that shop all the more then 10 yrs of knowing about them. BTW my last purchase was a simple PnS in the early 2000s heh.

You can as night86mare mentioned check with the price listing for accessories in this CS forum. But personally I would add to take the pricing there with a pinch of salt as it does not always cover every brands there is and I mean usuall the lower ones if you are really short on cash lah. Also you will notice your ring size don't seem to be covered there heheh but it will give you a good price guide of what you can expect to pay for it.

The problem with less know brands or OEM ones...the grey neutral is not always good meaning there might be a bias in either too warm or cold or even a slight colour shift. But since you are shooting digital..that is easy to adjust on your mac or pc.
    Last edited by sammy888; 3rd February 2008 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    for a member registered since nov 04, you should be more familiar with the forums than this

there is a price guide initiated by ortega here, please use it. it may not have been updated so you can adjust the price up slightly, but nothing as dramatic as 1.5x or twofold.

also, caveat empor, do homework and call up different stores to check their pricings, and make sure you are clear about which product you are asking for, hoya cpl got different versions, iirc.
    even though i am registered for years but i am still not very familiar with this forum as i seldom visit here (hehehe i am only 200+ postcounts). So i dun even know there's a price guide. Hence to avoid being con, i try to do homework here by asking people here for recommendation since this is common product for the experts here. i dun even know wat i buying sometimes. Now at least i know abit more. And i tot Alan Photo is good...
    Last edited by sin77; 3rd February 2008 at 10:48 PM.