Thread: Canon 10D battery grip necessary??

Question Canon 10D battery grip necessary??

Howdy folks,

Just wondering whether it is 'necessary' to get the Canon 10D battery grip, BG-ED3. What advantages does it confer for the user?

are u happy with your tandy as it is now? if you are, then the grip is not necessary.

If after hearing the advantages of the grip and you think you should get it, then it is a want not a necessity.

ok alrite besides the crap, the grip lets u hold the camera in portrait orientation more comfortably, with shutter button, dial, AEL button etc all at the comfy reach of your right hand. It also allows you to use two BP-511 at one go, so you won't have to change batt that often.

Downsides are that the setup will become more bulky, and that is additional weight added to the already heavy body. Also, tripod mount becomes not at lens centre.

Originally posted by Tweek
    are u happy with your tandy as it is now? if you are, then the grip is not necessary.

If after hearing the advantages of the grip and you think you should get it, then it is a want not a necessity.

ok alrite besides the crap, the grip lets u hold the camera in portrait orientation more comfortably, with shutter button, dial, AEL button etc all at the comfy reach of your right hand. It also allows you to use two BP-511 at one go, so you won't have to change batt that often.

Downsides are that the setup will become more bulky, and that is additional weight added to the already heavy body. Also, tripod mount becomes not at lens centre.
    Sound advice!

Hi Tweek,

Thanks for the advice. Actually I dont have a 10D yet, just wondering whether to get the grip as well when I get the 10D eventually.

oh i see. Maybe get the 10D first, and use it extensively for a couple of months. After that then evaluate whether you need the grip or not.

oh i see. Maybe get the 10D first, and use it extensively for a couple of months. After that then evaluate whether you need the grip or not.

Also sound advice!

..NuTs..

tink if you are using heavy lenses it will balance out the camera.. but if like me stuck with a 50mm tink the grip will only add to the weight

i used mine 'extensively' for like a few days... then decided that i'll die if i go on without the grip.

The grip is useful for shooting events:

1. Don't need to worry about running out of juice

2. Easier to take portrait orientation shots. Sometimes you need to take a lot of these, and it can get tiring holding the camera from the top.

3. Better balance with larger lenses. You have to try it to know what I mean.

For walking around street shooting, you can remove the grip. At least you have this option with the 10D.