View Poll Results: Which lens would you use?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • 28-135 f3.5-5.6 USM IS

120 50.42%
  • 20-35 f2.8L

118 49.58%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which lens to use for wedding?

Just help a friend cover some wed. dinner. shot in 28-70, 300D, 500 super DG with lum. bounce.

Find it is abit short, not able to close in to the facial expressions or hands . So switch to 35-105. Miss the wide angle shot slightly when taking group photo and change back , even got down to 19 .

Wish I could have the 28-135.

Would like to ask, no flash? Do colour correction with PS?

If die die cannot flash, suggest 50 f1.8 .
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fish
    I've just helped my brother cover his wedding a couple of days ago. Didn't try to push up the ISO so i had to use flash throughout the event as the room was very dark. It might be a problem using primes cos the place might be very cramped, especially for table group photos. I used the 19-35mm only that day, with my D60.

With your EOS30, i think 28-135 would be a good choice.
    I thought he had the EOS3? Anyway 28-135 would still be my choice because it's really tough to keep on running about and getting in everyone's way if not everyone else getting in your way in order to get THAT shot... And coupled with a good flash like the 550EX and a diffuser... maybe you dont need that sort of speed...

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    Just help a friend cover some wed. dinner. shot in 28-70, 300D, 500 super DG with lum. bounce.

Find it is abit short, not able to close in to the facial expressions or hands . So switch to 35-105. Miss the wide angle shot slightly when taking group photo and change back , even got down to 19 .

Wish I could have the 28-135.

Would like to ask, no flash? Do colour correction with PS?

If die die cannot flash, suggest 50 f1.8 .
    wah 28-70 and 35-105 still wide I usually use 17-40L with my D60 to shoot the whole event ... if you want closeup , just move closer to the couple
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

of cuz i would choose 20-35
    wide enuff to shoot grp photo esp, family!!!

tt day i brought a 20-35 and a 35-350 to shoot wedding

sweeee!!!!

wormz777...

just follow your own style then it will be fine

Eh.... I have longed covered the wedding (check the starting date of post)

Thanks everyone for your valuble insights

Quote Originally Posted by megaweb
    wah 28-70 and 35-105 still wide I usually use 17-40L with my D60 to shoot the whole event ... if you want closeup , just move closer to the couple
    Want to get more natural shot, because every time they see me aimming at them, they posed.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by wormz777
    Eh.... I have longed covered the wedding (check the starting date of post)

Thanks everyone for your valuble insights

has been almost a year since u posted..
    am i right to say that you used the 28-135?

Wow... ok.

Yup, I used the 28-135

Wow... ok.

Yup, I used the 28-135
    haha..thanks for ya reply..there is still pple posting despite after 9 months..guess its one of the longest living thread..haha..

Quote Originally Posted by RuthBaby
    of cuz i would choose 20-35
    wide enuff to shoot grp photo esp, family!!!

tt day i brought a 20-35 and a 35-350 to shoot wedding

sweeee!!!!

any plans to upgrade to the new 28-300L IS lens?

if not, use PRIMES...

heh heh... Sweee..... 20mm and 85mm only.. still works beautifully!

Forget the 28-135. Its too slow for decent shots. You need an F2.8 zoom lens to really get into the moments and experiment with natural light. 20-35 is much too wide for family portraits, only good for shooting handheld establishing shots in the hotels.

As for primes, I've tried shooting complete church ceremonies with them. Not as efficient as a 28-70 zoom, due to restrictions.
    Last edited by thoa_rs; 25th March 2004 at 08:17 PM.

Used 24-70 on the 300D for solemnization ceremony yesterday, and somehow I feel the 70 end is not tele enough for close ups, but I guess those kind of shots are maybe just 10% of total. Something like a 18-70 would have been perfect, lucky D70 users.

On another note, I followed many forum members suggestion and used ISO800 at around 1/40s-1/50s, and all my shots turned out with TOO MUCH ambient lighting. The tungston lighting wasen't even that warm in the small room. My flash was full on with omni-bounce, FEC -2/3, and yet many of my images turned out underexposed. Any ideas why this happened? Would bounce with a big bounce card have been better? Would like all the feedback possible thanks.

if you are using ISO 800, you need not to use 1/40 - 1/50s.. a 1/80s is more than enuf unless it's really dark around the areas... ISO 400 is more suited for your settings.

If you are bouncing it, dun bother to do the FEC, let the ETTL do the work for you. In fact it's more of a trial and error if you want to bounce or to direct flash.. Usually I tried direct flash and the ETTL kicked in nicely, you get good ambience lighting with nicely exposed subjects without highlights overblown.

Yeah the size of the bouncecard does matter: a bigger one gives more reflected light depending on the height of the ceiling as well as distance of subject to lens. The bigger the card, the more power it consumed for full blast.

as for the lens range... it's how you look at it.. if it's not close enuf, move yourself closer to the action. 70mm @ f4 gives pretty good DOF.
    Last edited by SniperD; 29th March 2004 at 05:17 PM.

hmm, between the 2, I would choose 28-135

if possible I would like to have a lens of f2.8 24-105.

U need a flash for such events.Dun rely on so much on the indoor lightings.
    Cos u wan ur subjects to be well lit,right?

i had 28-135 IS and 24-70 L ..
    i still believe that IS is still useless when u come to a place that dim light.
    try to snap shot a paper with different size of fonts at dim light. Best with dimmer that can control yr lighting. U will find that (SOMEtime) when IS is on mode, is worst then OFF mode. I found that article from photo.net and i tested and is true....

I believe that using flash WITH lumiquest promax is the best. both lens able to used during wedding.

I will use 24-70 L because IS is useless when i using flash with lumiquest.
    2nd family photos, using wide angle
    3rd if closeup, walk closer lo, why? cannot go near them? just kidding...

Quote Originally Posted by mr_jason
    Used 24-70 on the 300D for solemnization ceremony yesterday, and somehow I feel the 70 end is not tele enough for close ups, but I guess those kind of shots are maybe just 10% of total. Something like a 18-70 would have been perfect, lucky D70 users.
    "zoom" with your feet. I ever used a 10-22 to cover a wedding and it's enough to get the shots I need.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_jason
    On another note, I followed many forum members suggestion and used ISO800 at around 1/40s-1/50s, and all my shots turned out with TOO MUCH ambient lighting. The tungston lighting wasen't even that warm in the small room. My flash was full on with omni-bounce, FEC -2/3, and yet many of my images turned out underexposed. Any ideas why this happened? Would bounce with a big bounce card have been better? Would like all the feedback possible thanks.
    u got to meter the scene accordingly. the suggestions are just guidelines that you could use.

Why only 1 lens? --> Cos the photographer will be wearing formal wear and would not be able to carry a cam bag

I am undecided btw these 2 lenses mainly becos

1) the 28-135 is slow but has gd range
    2) the 20-35 is relatively fast but limited range.

I will try to avoid using flash as much as possible and will be shooting mainly, if not pure b&w.

Candids will be part of the aim, but will also attempt to document the whole process so as to put together in a album.

Thanks all who replied. More opinions and ideas please!!
    Speaking from personal experience, it is a no brainer question. 20-35L.
    But why no flash? Do not think it will turn out better for indoors.
    Good candids are the best kind of shots. 28/135 cmi.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast