View Poll Results: Which lens would you use?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • 28-135 f3.5-5.6 USM IS

120 50.42%
  • 20-35 f2.8L

118 49.58%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which lens to use for wedding?

Originally posted by Mr Fish
    I've just helped my brother cover his wedding a couple of days ago. Didn't try to push up the ISO so i had to use flash throughout the event as the room was very dark. It might be a problem using primes cos the place might be very cramped, especially for table group photos. I used the 19-35mm only that day, with my D60.

With your EOS30, i think 28-135 would be a good choice.
    Actually now, I have a slight preferance the WA over the 28-135 due to the speed and the higher possiblilty of attaining shots different from the main photographer.

Mr Fish, do you find urself going very upclose to your subjects very often to fill the frame during the wedding?

HI Wormz,

I guess it's really up to U already. As I read from your thread, you would not involve heavily in the wedding process and would like to take candid without the hussle of running for close-ups. Actually, it's okie for you to try the 50mm f1.8 for it's lightweightness, good aperture and definite mid range (though it's a prime lens)

A flash will be important to cast out the unwanted shadows and luminate the scene sufficiently.

The wedding which I shot as a back up is done purely on the 20mm f2.8 with bounce flash. Perhaps, you can try positioning yourself @ strategic points in the wedding process for all that shots you wanted.

GOod luck!

Originally posted by wormz777
    Yeah... I am now reading this book by Stephen Shields and most of his wedding pics are shot on the 85 f1.4 (nikon). I went to TCW to ask the price of the EF 85 f1.8 and was quoted around $980 for a brand new one. I think the EF 85 f1.2 cost around $1.7k.

If only someone sponsers the lens for my wedding shoot.
    TCW seems to quote prices that are above the list price! i remember an earlier thread in relation to another a 50mm lens where they also quoted above list.

Yup, with the WA, i often find the need to move closer to the couple or subjects. But luckily, i have the luxury of cropping the pictures.

I also find myself going there early to take care of the "abstract" shots like the menu on the tables etc... so that when the event starts, i just focus on the couple most of the time. I still wanna have time to eat you noe... heheheheh

Actually now, I have a slight preferance the WA over the 28-135 due to the speed and the higher possiblilty of attaining shots different from the main photographer.

Mr Fish, do you find urself going very upclose to your subjects very often to fill the frame during the wedding?

Thanks SniperD and Mr Fish for sharing your experiences... very helpful indeed really.

I really like the idea of using my WA to get the closeup wide effect, but afraid it might be too intruding to my subjects...

Yeah.. Its all down to myself really ... I gotta really sit down and ask myself what kind of pics I want to make.

dun worry about the instrusiveness of you in the whole scene.

a few good qns to ask yourself before you start shooting are:

1) what kind of mood do I want my picture to turn out: comical, anxiety, journalistic, emotions....etc

2) what would the main photographer be doing that I should be aware of? Try to think like the main photographer for the critical shots; either avoid repents or go along with his flow

3) Anticipate where the actions/emotions will b and be ready. No one gonna chase you away when you have already marked your spot.

Sometimes a W.A shot tells more than a zoomed cropped shot of emotion on the person... it may tell a story more effectively as to why the evoked emotion and maybe if you have the opportunity, shoot the zoom-in to complete the ending.

Most important thing..... have fun!

Thanks SniperD for ur tips.

In the end, I hope to be able to compile a wedding album as a wedding gift to my bro. Worse come to worst, I will blowup the best frame i got as a present.

psyche
    Guests

As u can see, there's no fixed soution to ur answer. There are some who told you go for the wide angle zoom, and some who support the 28-135 for exactly the opposite reaons!

I don't have an exact solution to your question. MY belief is, whichever lens you're bringing, you're going to get some shots, and lose some shots. For sure.

I used to fret over the issue of which lens to bring for different occasions including weddings. And that was my "discovery". The only way you're going to feel comfortable and get as many shots as possible is to use at least 2 competant lenses for the job. With just 1 lens, unlikely. But since you're not the main photographer, I guess you should concentrate on what he prob can't cover.

I say again, for sure, you're going to miss some shots with just either of the 2 lens you mentioned, especially so if you're not even considering using a flash. Composition wise, the 28-135 will clearly get you more shots, but not necessarily favorite ones.

Originally posted by psyche
    As u can see, there's no fixed soution to ur answer. There are some who told you go for the wide angle zoom, and some who support the 28-135 for exactly the opposite reaons!

I don't have an exact solution to your question. MY belief is, whichever lens you're bringing, you're going to get some shots, and lose some shots. For sure.

I used to fret over the issue of which lens to bring for different occasions including weddings. And that was my "discovery". The only way you're going to feel comfortable and get as many shots as possible is to use at least 2 competant lenses for the job. With just 1 lens, unlikely. But since you're not the main photographer, I guess you should concentrate on what he prob can't cover.

I say again, for sure, you're going to miss some shots with just either of the 2 lens you mentioned, especially so if you're not even considering using a flash. Composition wise, the 28-135 will clearly get you more shots, but not necessarily favorite ones.
    Thanks psyche... you are spot on there. I am going to lose some shots. Anyway, its impossible to cover everything in a wedding. I will just take selectively and as many gd shots as I can. Its not tt I do not want to use flash, just that 1) it adds to the bulk and I dun want to sweat in my suit 2) the harsh shadows effect and destroying all ambient light.

I had decided to go with the WA. Wish me luck guys

remember to post some shots! hehehe!

Yeah... I am now reading this book by Stephen Shields and most of his wedding pics are shot on the 85 f1.4 (nikon). I went to TCW to ask the price of the EF 85 f1.8 and was quoted around $980 for a brand new one. I think the EF 85 f1.2 cost around $1.7k.

They want to you. Cathay quote me only S$640 for the EF 85 f/1.8

Originally posted by jasonpgc
    They want to you. Cathay quote me only S$640 for the EF 85 f/1.8
    Thanks jasonpgc for that info. Wow .. looks like its quite affordable

However, I still lack the dough to buy brand new. Anyone got a 2nd hand one to let go???

psyche
    Guests

Good luck wormz! Let us know how it goes...

Thanks jasonpgc for that info. Wow .. looks like its quite affordable

However, I still lack the dough to buy brand new. Anyone got a 2nd hand one to let go???
    wonderful wonderful lens!

I'm wondering how can the 85 f/1.8 be able to cover the entire wedding event? Some ppl say that the 28-135 on a DSLR will be too much, but how about the 85mm?

I'm actually looking around for a WA lens to complement my 28-135, but don't intend to spend a bomb. Which WA would you guys recommend? I'm actually on a budget here.. Tamron 19-35? Canon 20-35? Canon 85???

Anyone?

hi wormz, if you are used to a particular lens, then i strongly suggest you stick to it, then to work with a lens (e.g. 85 f1.8) which though is very good, may not be one that YOU like. And i never recommend you buy new, because you might not use it thereafter.

working with a zoom lens has its advantages, and working with primes has its too. But to go in to a wedding shoot armed with the world's best prime lens but with little familiarity, is never going to work. Just because some folks have written and published tons of literature on what sort of lens THEY use, or what works for them, is highly subjective.

So if you are used to your 28-135, use it. Use ISO 400 film, and use flash. Stick to a setup that you are comfortable with, and you will enjoy yourself more.

Personally i will go for the 28-135 if i am not the main photog. Allows me stand by a pillar sometime, focus on the people sitting there, and then snap a few when they show interesting expressions e.g. laugh, smile, etc. This lens allow you to be unobstrusive. Then again, this is my opinion.

Default Re: Which lens to use for wedding?

If you r the backup photographer for a wedding and you are allowed only one lens.

You have only 2 lenses.

a) 28-135 f3.5-5.6 USM IS
    b) 20-35 f2.8L

Which one would you use?

wa lau eh brother!

no problemo!

you jiang wen da pi sai? got prize if guess correctly or not? kekeke

don't even haf to think so hard la brother!!

take the 28-135 f3.5-5.6 USM IS la!
    sure best deal!
    close one eye oso can tell u that standard zoom lens best to go man!

relax la brother! speaking from experience la! steady! no need so wide a lens like ur 20-35, but if possible, take it along to act as a backup(which u will most probably not be using anyway!).

u won;t need super close up since u're moving around and u can take pictures of the spokes-person at a rather comfortable distance, since u're allowed to move around. no need super zoom lens la... this standard one is best!

28=wide enuff.
    135=close-up enuff man!

steady!

Originally posted by fruitybix
    hi wormz, if you are used to a particular lens, then i strongly suggest you stick to it, then to work with a lens (e.g. 85 f1.8) which though is very good, may not be one that YOU like. And i never recommend you buy new, because you might not use it thereafter.

working with a zoom lens has its advantages, and working with primes has its too. But to go in to a wedding shoot armed with the world's best prime lens but with little familiarity, is never going to work. Just because some folks have written and published tons of literature on what sort of lens THEY use, or what works for them, is highly subjective.

So if you are used to your 28-135, use it. Use ISO 400 film, and use flash. Stick to a setup that you are comfortable with, and you will enjoy yourself more.

Personally i will go for the 28-135 if i am not the main photog. Allows me stand by a pillar sometime, focus on the people sitting there, and then snap a few when they show interesting expressions e.g. laugh, smile, etc. This lens allow you to be unobstrusive. Then again, this is my opinion.

wa lau eh brother fruitymix!

right on man! bingo!

Deregistered

Somebody's digging up polls again....

Quote Originally Posted by wormz777
    I went to TCW to ask the price of the EF 85 f1.8 and was quoted around $980 for a brand new one. I think the EF 85 f1.2 cost around $1.7k.

I recall seeing the price tag of the EF 85mm F1.8 in the TCW being $625 or thereabouts..... maybe they thought you wanted another lens?

Anyway, I helped to cover some weddings with both ~45mm to 320mm lens and ~29-89mm lens .... you probably don't need the wide angle if you're not taking table shots. with a telephoto, you could be able to take interesting close-up shots without the lens right next to/in front of the person.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast