View Poll Results: Which lens would you use?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • 28-135 f3.5-5.6 USM IS

    120 50.42%
  • 20-35 f2.8L

    118 49.58%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 75

Thread: Which lens to use for wedding?

  1. #1
    Senior Member wormz777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,577

    Default Which lens to use for wedding?

    If you r the backup photographer for a wedding and you are allowed only one lens.

    You have only 2 lenses.

    a) 28-135 f3.5-5.6 USM IS
    b) 20-35 f2.8L

    Which one would you use?

  2. #2

    Default

    Both

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    thephotosketch.com
    Posts
    17

    Default

    I guess it will be 28-135 f3.5-5.6 USM IS. At 135, it will give you an added advantage for close up shoots.

  4. #4
    Pegasus
    Guests

    Default

    If you are the backup photographer, you should make yourself useful. No point "fighting" with the main photographer (who probably be a professional photographer) on the best angles, coverage etc. Instead look out for candid shots. These photos will definitely comes in useful.

  5. #5

    Default

    Why are you only allowed 1 ???

    If they were the only 2 lenses I had it would have to be both.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    backup? then the 28-135mm would be better. you're not likely to need the super-wide angle of 20mm.

  7. #7
    Senior Member wormz777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,577

    Default

    Why only 1 lens? --> Cos the photographer will be wearing formal wear and would not be able to carry a cam bag

    I am undecided btw these 2 lenses mainly becos

    1) the 28-135 is slow but has gd range
    2) the 20-35 is relatively fast but limited range.

    I will try to avoid using flash as much as possible and will be shooting mainly, if not pure b&w.

    Candids will be part of the aim, but will also attempt to document the whole process so as to put together in a album.

    Thanks all who replied. More opinions and ideas please!!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Originally posted by wormz777

    Candids will be part of the aim, but will also attempt to document the whole process so as to put together in a album.
    I think 28-135 will be better as the 20-35 will be useful for shot that you wanted to include more stuffs.

    I have suggested to you the 70-200/2.8. Really not giving that a thought?

  9. #9

    Default

    i'll be the first to tell u that the 28-135 IS is a beautiful lens but for indoor without flash? forget it! the aperture is too small and the IS is not going to be effective as there will be unintended motion blur.

    use the 20-35L, its 2.8 and with the short focal length, handholdable at unbelievably low shutter speeds. use the perspective of the wide angle lens to your advantage.

  10. #10
    Senior Member wormz777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,577

    Default

    Originally posted by binbeto
    I think 28-135 will be better as the 20-35 will be useful for shot that you wanted to include more stuffs.

    I have suggested to you the 70-200/2.8. Really not giving that a thought?
    Thanks binbeto, but I rather take so-so pics than to sweat like a dog on that important day itsef

  11. #11

    Default

    Originally posted by wormz777
    Why only 1 lens? --> Cos the photographer will be wearing formal wear and would not be able to carry a cam bag
    Why not? There are many situations in a wedding that renders all focal lengths between 20mm to 135mm useful. Just bring along a small camera bag. Or loan one.

    I will try to avoid using flash as much as possible and will be shooting mainly, if not pure b&w.
    Don't stop yourself from using flash. If the situation requires the use of flash, then use it.

    I have a friend (who had worked together with a wedding photographer I know) who shot in B&W. His client is very happy with the results. The point is, while the main photographer is busy with the more important events, you can work with the less important but memorable ones. B&W can give a special feeling to the wedding.

  12. #12
    Senior Member wormz777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,577

    Default

    Originally posted by GitS
    i'll be the first to tell u that the 28-135 IS is a beautiful lens but for indoor without flash? forget it! the aperture is too small and the IS is not going to be effective as there will be unintended motion blur.

    use the 20-35L, its 2.8 and with the short focal length, handholdable at unbelievably low shutter speeds. use the perspective of the wide angle lens to your advantage.
    You do have a point there Gits.

    I feel its more challenging to use the only wide angle effect to document the event, but I believe that end product will be very good and special.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    Originally posted by GitS
    i'll be the first to tell u that the 28-135 IS is a beautiful lens but for indoor without flash? forget it! the aperture is too small and the IS is not going to be effective as there will be unintended motion blur.
    beg to differ but i think that's not totally true. depending on the lighting (unless it's like super dim, super dark ballroom), the lens can be put to good effect with a good fast ISO film like Fuji Press 800 (can be pushed to 1600 ISO at a pinch). the colours are still punchy and grain is still impressive. that way you get the best of both worlds, and coupled with the IS of the 28-135, you should be able to get some keepers.

    but that's my 2 cents.

  14. #14

    Default

    Get a 50/1.8 or even better, the 50/1.4.
    If you can afford, go with a 85/1.2 for your Canon.
    Only one lens can cover the entire wedding. Guaranteed; if you know your craft and technique well.

  15. #15
    Senior Member wormz777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,577

    Default

    Originally posted by icebooke
    Get a 50/1.8 or even better, the 50/1.4.
    If you can afford, go with a 85/1.2 for your Canon.
    Only one lens can cover the entire wedding. Guaranteed; if you know your craft and technique well.
    Yeah... I am now reading this book by Stephen Shields and most of his wedding pics are shot on the 85 f1.4 (nikon). I went to TCW to ask the price of the EF 85 f1.8 and was quoted around $980 for a brand new one. I think the EF 85 f1.2 cost around $1.7k.

    If only someone sponsers the lens for my wedding shoot.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    East, SG
    Posts
    2,641

    Default

    I always carry 2 cameras with me for weddings...one with 16-35/24-70 and the other with the 70-200.

    Both are ready to fire at any time.

    Solve your prob of deciding

    But honestly, I would get the 20-35 f2.8L, it's one of the better WA lenses out there.

  17. #17
    Senior Member wormz777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,577

    Default

    Originally posted by canturn
    I always carry 2 cameras with me for weddings...one with 16-35/24-70 and the other with the 70-200.

    Both are ready to fire at any time.

    Solve your prob of deciding

    But honestly, I would get the 20-35 f2.8L, it's one of the better WA lenses out there.
    I do have the 20-35 f2.8L

    Are you also suggesting that I shld use that instead of the 28-135? I can bring only one.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    East, SG
    Posts
    2,641

    Default

    If u are using DSLR, the 28-135 is not very useful.

    If u are u using full -frame or 1Ds, 28-135 is the way to go man

  19. #19
    Senior Member wormz777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,577

    Default

    28-135 despite the speed? So carry flash too?

  20. #20

    Default

    I've just helped my brother cover his wedding a couple of days ago. Didn't try to push up the ISO so i had to use flash throughout the event as the room was very dark. It might be a problem using primes cos the place might be very cramped, especially for table group photos. I used the 19-35mm only that day, with my D60.

    With your EOS30, i think 28-135 would be a good choice.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •