Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Mac Laptop for Image Processing/ Slideshows

Default Re: A Mac Laptop for Image Processing/ Slideshows

Well I must say that it would be much better to jump direct to the specs you think you might need compared to upgrading when needed...

If you upgrade the ram on the macbook, old one must throw away leh.

Oh ya, there is microsoft office for mac so no problem there

So pay the 1000 more better

Of course it's your decision, so good luck with your new mac bro=]
    Meow!

Quote Originally Posted by xray View Post
    I use a macbook pro for school, and I do a lot of graphics, layouting and I've got over 40,000 images backup-ed using this mac. I was always a Windows user before, but now I've realised why the mac is more powerful: integration.

Everything just works, like what the ads say. I don't run anti-virus either; I don't surf those kind of sites, and the mac doesn't catch windows viruses.

Hardware though, is bad. I've sent my macbook pro in thrice in two years, and apple replaced the logic board, fans, hard disk, cd-rom, screen - in other words, everything. But thanks to AppleCare, it's free! But all the time it spent being repaired is still worth it.

A windows user will never understand the love one can have for a piece of expensive metal.
    That doesn't sound too reassuring. I guess it's also my bad experience in the past with expensive equipment that decided to die before I could use it to its fullest.

I've been hearing over and over about the rumours that the new MB Pro is coming out. Yet I am so tempted to get one right away.

Quote Originally Posted by GavinTing View Post
    Well I must say that it would be much better to jump direct to the specs you think you might need compared to upgrading when needed...

If you upgrade the ram on the macbook, old one must throw away leh.

Oh ya, there is microsoft office for mac so no problem there

So pay the 1000 more better

Of course it's your decision, so good luck with your new mac bro=]
    Exactly. I am thinking to just buy the appropriate goods outright. But if we're talking about upgrading RAM separately then that's a different thing altogether. Apparently Apple's Ram is overpriced and I should be looking to upgrade it myself. Why would I need to throw away old RAM? If there is a spare slot wouldn't that work?

Hi there,

I have a white macbook with intel 2Ghz Core2Duo inside. Running 2gb ram. The internal fan run at speed of over 6000 rounds per minute (rpm) whenever the CPU is being 'strained'... That is opening photoshop, illustrator and firefox.. sometimes msn, and a couple files in each program, the CPU temp can hit over 80 degrees celsius in a non-airconditioned room. Not very pleasant to work with, but it gets the job done with its tiny 13" screen.

I used a Macbook pro in the office and it's as hot... under strain too.

Just to let you know the heat, incase you like your machines to be cool

Quote Originally Posted by fWord View Post
    Exactly. I am thinking to just buy the appropriate goods outright. But if we're talking about upgrading RAM separately then that's a different thing altogether. Apparently Apple's Ram is overpriced and I should be looking to upgrade it myself. Why would I need to throw away old RAM? If there is a spare slot wouldn't that work?
    Hahas. Yea. Apple ram is very very expensive. Usually if you buy from ishop or epi they will upgrade to 2gb kingston for you.

The macbook comes with both slots used, so you have to remove the old one lor. What I mean is don't upgrade to 3 then up again to 4. Expensive!
    Meow!

Quote Originally Posted by s1762 View Post
    Hi there,

I have a white macbook with intel 2Ghz Core2Duo inside. Running 2gb ram. The internal fan run at speed of over 6000 rounds per minute (rpm) whenever the CPU is being 'strained'... That is opening photoshop, illustrator and firefox.. sometimes msn, and a couple files in each program, the CPU temp can hit over 80 degrees celsius in a non-airconditioned room. Not very pleasant to work with, but it gets the job done with its tiny 13" screen.

I used a Macbook pro in the office and it's as hot... under strain too.

Just to let you know the heat, incase you like your machines to be cool
    Haha...I'm not worried about heat. Thought it was normal for the badly designed computers these days to be poor at getting rid of heat. However I've seen computers shut down because of overheating.

Hi!

It's great that you're really looking carefully at your options to buy a new notebook. I've been reading the thread and I thought I'd like to offer another point of view.

I noticed that a lot of replies are from Mac users or Mac converts, so I thought I'd like to share something from a Windows user. I notice that you repeatedly say that you don't really do a lot of super-intensive processing, so you might want to think carefully if you really want to spend almost $4k on a mac book pro.

Anyway, here's what I currently use: Windows XP on a Dell 640m with a 14 inch screen and 80GB HDD. I've been using this particular notebook for almost 2 years, constantly travelling with my notebook and I haven't got problems. Obviously the internal HDD is not too big, so I have an external 250GB which I use to archive and backup. Does it do everything I want it to do? Sure, and quickly too. The only problem is games (since it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card), but you can easily get a PC which works great for games.

I've personally used both Mac BookPro (tried out OS X Leopard), and Vista. I'm not an expert in any of them, but here are some things I noticed. Since the general comments about MacBook Pro are good, I thought I might like to offer some other things I noticed:

1. I know everyone says it's stable, but somehow, I have had experiences of it crashing and requiring restarting, especially when getting it to wake up after closing the screen and opening, and also with WiFi. Two of my friends (one use MB, one MBP) report the same unstability problem. Do I get that with my Windows? Yes, but about once every few months instead of weekly.

2. MBP is a very nicely designed machine, but unlike the MB, the aluminium case dents, and that's hard to fix. My friend's case is all dented, but it doesn't affect the performance. I guess that's the same with metal stuff (think aluminium sigg bottles). The MB is plastic so it doesn't suffer from these problems.

3. MBP gives off static. I've tried 3 MBPs, and 2 of them have this issue. Experience: a tingling sensation on your wrists or lower arm when resting your plams to type. This is not just a MBP problem though - I get it on some fujitsu notebooks also. This again does not apply to plastic-cased notebooks. MB and MBP runs hot also. My dell runs very cool surprisingly. Used a fujitsu tablet before though - it's even hotter. It bellows HOT air out from the fan grill :S

4. Some people don't like the slot drive. It doesn't work for mini 8cm discs (like from camcorders), and it gets stuck sometimes. Another friend uses an iMac and it leaves visible marks on the disc (but does not affect performance).

5. You don't have much choices, in terms of internal specs or external appearance. Some people like to buy stickers to decorate it, which is good if they like it. But the choices are limited. My cousin wanted a black macBook, but with the specs of the cheaper white one. But they don't have it. Also, your notebook might end up looking like every other MBP users'. Its like of like Ikea products: Nice, but once you see it, you know it's from Ikea.

6. You have to use thier travel adaptor and not a third party one because the third party doesn't have a Magsafe connector. This won't bother most people but it will for travel people who might want a smaller 3rd party one, or for people who lose theirs.

7. Connectors. There is no inbuilt card reader so you have to bring a card-reader or a USB cable around for cameras. It has only 2 USB ports also. I guess 2 is better than 1 though!

I know a lot of Mac people will have a lot of things to say now. I'm not against Mac or anything, but I also noticed something else.

I'm not saying all Mac users will say these, but from reading many forums:

If someone says "I use the right-click ALOT and not having it on a Mac is just inconvenient for me", replies are like "go back to your Windows" or "why on Earth do you need it when you have a Mac? Only windows people need the right-click." or "use a Mac like a Mac and not like a PC" instead of suggesting solutions or explaining themselves. And where's the apple manuel anyway? Their products come with only a small folded pieces of paper.

Saw this apple advert? http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/ (Click Now What?).
    Why then did someone bother to write this 912 page book?

Anyway, I think the most important thing is that you get a computer with suitable specifications, and you should love it. Like some who have preiously mentioned, computers nowadays are pretty good and as long as you buy from a reputable company, I don't see why you will have any majors issues with it. As long as you treat the equipment good and keep backups, they should last a long time.

Aye I'm too tired to write more, maybe I'll continue another time! Best wishes and... Happy New Year!
    Last edited by loneoceans; 6th February 2008 at 11:01 PM.

If its a mac, get the macbook pro. If you can, get an 24" iMac instead for less money, sacrifice the mobility but for more power and value. No-no to the normal macbook, very cheap parts and marked up alot. Look at the LCD screen and specs and u know.

As for why its better to use a mac to process images, this is what i know from my experience:

1) Very elegant drag and drop that works. C'mon, drag the pic on the Photoshop icon, voila.
    2) Never experienced a FULL system crash, at most only nonresponsive software but they are easy to close.
    3) Its not that hard to move to mac controls if ur a windows user. ALT+C and ALT+V for copy and paste in windows is simply CMD+C and CMD+V on the mac. No-brainer.
    4) Mastery of window management features (expose, spaces, dashboard) will make u zip through many many windows in no time.

From my understanding Apple has become lousier since the transition to Intel so it should be rewarding to wait for them to update their hardware models before purchasing. If you need it right now, buy the cheapest or 2nd cheapest macbook pro (don't buy RAM in the apple store, buy in sim lim) and you're all set.
    Functional disorder

I kenna the spinning Beach-Ball-Of-Death at least once weekly.
    However, my Vista had survived more than 60 days without restarting.

Quote Originally Posted by loneoceans View Post
    1. I know everyone says it's stable, but somehow, I have had experiences of it crashing and requiring restarting, especially when getting it to wake up after closing the screen and opening, and also with WiFi. Two of my friends (one use MB, one MBP) report the same unstability problem. Do I get that with my Windows? Yes, but about once every few months instead of weekly.

I have that problem waking it up from "sleep"... have your friends solved it?

Quote Originally Posted by loneoceans View Post
    Anyway, I think the most important thing is that you get a computer with suitable specifications, and you should love it. Like some who have preiously mentioned, computers nowadays are pretty good and as long as you buy from a reputable company, I don't see why you will have any majors issues with it. As long as you treat the equipment good and keep backups, they should last a long time.
    moral of the story, get a comp that suites you, Mac or PC... cause like I mentioned earlier, hardware wise, its a crapshoot cause laptops are mostly (including Macs) built by the same few OEMs... and personally, I find that OSX and Win XP crash just as often in my previous work (DI/retouching) experience (whereas Vista 64, my current preferred system has been pretty darn stable *touch wood*)... but TS did mention having a good experience with IBM laptops... the good news to that is, since Lenovo took over, the laptops are still pretty well built, as far as laptops go, if a bit drab looking...

Quote Originally Posted by ilario View Post
    From my understanding Apple has become lousier since the transition to Intel so it should be rewarding to wait for them to update their hardware models before purchasing.
    lousier in what way? (not directed at you in a personal way but just curious about which part is lousier )... I had used Macs with PowerPC CPUs and I feel that the current Intel ones don't seem inferior to them... faster and possibly cooler as well... especially when considering that the last few PowerMac G5s needed liquid cooling just to keep the temperature under control... one of the reasons why they can't mount the G5 chip into the Powerbooks...

It's likely that new MacBook Pro models will be introduced by the end of February and updated MacBook models will be introduced by the end of April.

For all of the MacBook Pro users still having troubles, have you downloaded all the firmware upgrades and installed them?

Also, repairing permissions through Disk Utility should be done periodically, as strange behaviour can sometimes be introduced by incorrect access to files and folders. Generally, it's good form to repair permissions after software installations, especially with iTunes and Flash.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123