Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Mac Laptop for Image Processing/ Slideshows

Default Re: A Mac Laptop for Image Processing/ Slideshows

I am using a 15" 2.4GHz MBP for my mobile photo need, with a LaCia 160GB Rugged HDD, running on Leopard. I use Aperture, which handles my RAW files with ease, and export them as TIFF/JPEG as finalised version. As Aperture does not alter your original RAW file no matter now much adjustment u did, it give u peace of mind, exp on road knowing that u can always have the original back at anytime.

As on your question on slides show, there are a few options that u can explore when using Aperture:

(1) Slides show native from Aperture, with customizable back ground music and transition.

(2) With Preview in Aperture enabled, the same photos can be used in iPhoto, which come pre-installed in all Mac. iPhoto runs impressive slides shows, with great transition and music from your itune library.

(3) You can also run the slides show from Front-Row, where you can control it using the remote control that comes with your Mac.

(4) Optional: I also uses Fotomagico, an impressive slide show program that allows u full control how the pic are to be presented, and how each transition is done, back ground music etc with ease of use.

All these can be done on either your LCD Screen, or if u like, on any wide screen or regular TV via the DVI port, making presentation easier.

I guess all these can be done on a PC as well, but in my opinion (very biased as I am mac user since 1989, hee hee), Mac integrates the many software together much better (iLIFE). And since u shoot in RAW, u sld really try out Aperture, as it is fast, easy and intuitive.

5cents dan
    Last edited by danmic; 5th February 2008 at 01:24 PM.
    1Ds Mk III / EF 16-35 f2.8L II / EF 24-70 f2.8L / EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II / EF 85 f1.2L II

that's the thing... when Mac integrates software together, they are providing a smoother interface... when Windows integrates software, they get anti-trust lawsuites thrown at them...

Quote Originally Posted by YOL925 View Post
    Me use both PC (work) and Mac (everything else).

Mac is great for photo processing and its OS (tiger or leopard) is much better than xp or vista. the UI is also much nicer. performance wise: raw processing speed not much diff as both are intel-based mc, but OS X is way more efficient. price: MBP is a bit more exp than a comparable win notebook. reliability: hmm, apple used to be more reliable than it is now. highly recommended to buy apple care.

easy to use, virus free (virtually) - mac's strength.

forget abt macbook air - it's just an oversized iPod

YOL
    When efficiency of the Mac OS system translates to faster speeds, I guess it'd make a worthwhile buy. They definitely don't make computers like they used to. There's an IBM laptop on my desk that's already 9 years old and still works without a hitch. It's already survived a lot of inproper shutdowns, thunderstorms etc. If only the newer computers are this reliable. I certainly wouldn't mind throwing down the dough for a MacBook Pro if it would last me the next decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post
    If u've always used windows and never used a mac before, then you may need some time to be familiarised with the user interface and how the whole system works.
    The mouse acceleration curve for OSX is also very different from window's. It can get quite irritating most of the time. (I have great tip to solve this irritation.)

Actually, U can install your Windows (XP or Vista) on an NTFS partition in your Macbook.
    You can have more than 32GB in that partition.
    What you'll want to have is 3rd party software to read and write to the other OS's partition.

There's
    Macdrive (for windows) to read/write Mac file systems
    MacFUSE (for OSX) to read/write NTFS. But I can't seem to get it working.
    Paragon NTFS (for OSX) to read/write NTFS. I use this instead.

The transfer rate for a non-branded external USB 2.0 PATA HDD is about 22MB/s, fast enough for most people. Though Firewire is faster, but not all your friends have firewire ports.

Oh ya, the DVD drives on macbooks don't eat mini DVDs. Don't pop your mini DVDs from your DVDcamcorder in.

The only time I really used Macs was during my university days when the whole lab was filled with nothing but the colorful iMacs. The UI didn't trouble me. The only peeve I had was not being able to right click. Other than that, it's simply another operating system.

With my Dell laptop in the scrapheap I have a copy of Windows XP ready to go, so I could install it on the Mac once I get it. Like I said, in the past I had a lot of issues with using Windows on a Mac...it was over 10 years ago now. A lot of programs simply could not be installed on the Windows portion. Compatibility has improved a lot now, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenth View Post
    Look out for the new series for Macbook Pro. The new series would be much thinner than the current ones, borrowing the chipset from MB Air. The new MB Pro will also spot the new multi-touch pad interface that allows you to do those cool gestures as in the iPhones.
    Any ideas as to when the new Macbook Pro is due to be out? Naturally it would seem silly for me to buy the old series just a few days before the new series is announced, especially since technology tends to get cheaper (and probably more unreliable) with time. I've read it more than once that a new series is due out soon, but I'm really debating if I should just go ahead and buy a highend Macbook Pro and be done with it.

To be honest, I don't even need that much processing power for the kinds of things that I do. But I thought that, since I'm going to spend the money on a laptop computer anyway, might as well spend more in the first place and get the best I can afford.

Weight is not so much of an issue for me especially since the new computers are already way lighter than my old Dell which I didn't even complain about. Also, my Mum was there when I was poisoning my mind with the Macbook Pro on display. And she remarked about how beautiful the laptop computers were these days.

When my Mum says something is 'nice', it really means a lot to me, because ordinarily she doesn't get excited about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao View Post
    Let me add my two cent's worth into the discussion.

I also straddle between two OSes (and occasionally Linux) and I must say people get a Mac for the "total user experience". There are quirks here and there in Mac OS X, but I must say it's been a smooth transition so far.

OS X reads FAT32 natively, so no worries about it. I have a few NTFS volumes too, but with MacFUSE the volumes are accessible in OS X as well. Just that it doesn't run as fast compared to under Windows, and Spotlight doesn't index NTFS volumes (open for corrections). Otherwise it's alright. The 4GB limitation is pretty much a moot point since if you're using OS X, you'll download files to your Mac (HFS) volume.

For slideshows, there's always iPhoto, and I'm really waiting for Google to port Picasa over to OS X as well. iPhoto is good enough for most people. If you're hungry for more, you can always check out Apple's Aperture (haven't use it myself though) and Adobe Lightroom.

Keynote (part of the iWork suite) features COOL transitions and animations for slideshows that will definitely impress.

Get an Intel Mac - it's easier to maintain and you can Boot Camp to Windows. Just make sure your copy of Windows is SP2 or Vista.

Apple Singapore online sells the basic Macbook at S$1,788 with GST, I believe. Check out Pacific City at Plaza Sing, I think they have some offer now.

Just a note that you'll have to fork out an additional $30++ to buy a mini-DVI to VGA dongle if you want to connect your Macbook to a projector.
    Good points. I won't worry about the 4GB limit myself since I've never really dealt with files of that size. Not yet, anyway, and I'm not a movie person so I don't copy DVDs and all that jazz.

I've seen Aperture at work before. Nice program with good layout and all, however I'm convinced I could do with even less, so again it doesn't bug me all that much. That said, those guys in the media resource team used it all the time and swore by the program. How much would it cost to get a copy of Aperture?

Regarding installing Windows on a Mac...will Windows XP Home edition do? That's pretty much the only one I've got, leftover from the package that I got with my last laptop. I really lament the death of my Dell computer. It was good while it lasted however, but it was only three short years.

My current plan is to hook up with a relative who's still in Uni. Maybe he can help me get a student discount. I happened to walk past Newstead at Funan yesterday, which is when I first got to experience the Macbooks. The 15 inch 2.4GHz MB Pro is going for $4267 and the 17 inch for $4777. Pricey indeed. Do they come cheaper anywhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by GavinTing View Post

Theres nothing to say the mac parts won't fail.. Hehes. Not being negative or rude, but really, the famous saying, "Sh** Happens", will always be applicable.

And yea, as you and I mentioned, people will tell you mac can do thee things better than a PC. I see no reason why it can do much better, but if you arrange your thoughts and this is the main factor, then don't go for it just because people say so. Personally, the MacBook for me is cheaper than a dell laptop. And it has the added bonus of having Mac OS X.

Anyway, as one of the other users has said, it's the overall user experience that you should look at. Furthermore, you don't need to have like spyware and antivirus stuff clogging up your CPU and RAM!

Alrite. So, list down ALL the software you currently use, and see if there are alternatives on OS X. For e.g., Photoshop, MS Office all that is okay, but if there are other stuff that you need, then you must reboot into windows often, quite inconvienient..

Oh ya, the apple remote is very cool for slideshows =)

Don't mind me asking, do you currently use a mac? Not to be rude, just wondering.
    I agree with that saying. It's tended to come true in my life on quite a few occasions. I've had good times too, but indeed when things have the potential to go wrong they usually will.

I'm so behind on technology which is why I don't know if there's much advantage in owning a Mac over a usual Windows system. But I've always tended to go for the underdog. Hence I would get a Mac if it could indeed prove its worth.

At this stage, the programs I use for photos would only be Photoshop CS and Canon Digital Photo Professional, both I believe work on Macs and Windows alike. Naturally I am hoping the Mac will come preinstalled with good slideshow software. Windows Movie Maker is good but in a way I find the animations a little too 'Powerpoint' like. These days I see slideshows where the there's a panning effect on every photo. Seems to be very much the trend.

Was told by my cousin that this effect is available on Photoshop Elements, but I lost my copy, so I couldn't be sure.

Current plan is to use the Mac platform to process images only. For word processing (if I ever need it), and games, I would use the Windows portion. Sounds like the idea would run pretty seamlessly because I wouldn't be doing all these tasks at the same time.

And I shuttle every year between Singapore and Australia. Don't want to struggle with my brother for the only fast PC in the entire house. He wants to play games on it, but I also need the computer to rework my images. It just doesn't work out, so I really need my own workstation.

I have never owned a Mac, although used them briefly during my university days. That was the only thing they had in the labs. My Mum has one as well that my Dad bought. It was supposed to be user-friendly, so it was great for my Mum to start with. Unfortunately with the advent of the new Hotmail, we cannot even access that website on the iMac now. And there's no way to update the IE on that computer either because newer IE versions cannot be installed on such an old OS. Real dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenth View Post
    I own 2 MB Pro notebooks. Have been using Mac since 2 years back. I have not gone back to PC ever since, being a happy Mac convert. Anyway, this is a very subjective experience. Not everyone knows how to appreciate good laptop and softwares, just like fine wine.
    Heheh...give me $5 wine and $30 wine, and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference either. In the same vein I suspect that I will be very happy with either a Windows laptop or a Mac. But as mentioned before, I have the opportunity to buy a laptop for myself, hence I should be fair to myself and consider all the options at hand. If a Mac is going to be helpful from the imaging point of view, AND also prove to be reliable and long-lasting, then I'd go for it, for sure.

My key worry once again, is shelling out big bucks on something and have it wrecked just 3 years down the track. Imagine how annoying it was. HDD fail under 3 year warranty period. It was replaced at no cost. Then about 2-3 months later when the computer was out of the warranty period the brand new HDD died again. I have no clue why it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by varf View Post
    one more vote for the MBP, if you must buy a laptop. but wait if you can; the MBPs are overdue for an upgrade.

as a RAW shooter, i believe you would benefit greatly by picking up either Aperture (OSX only) or Lightroom (Windows, OSX) to manage your photo library. my preference is Aperture for its flexibility, but both pieces of software have full-featured 30-day trial versions, so i'd recommend trying them out. ( after using Aperture, DPP just feels so clunky. )

photos in the Aperture library can be accessed directly by iPhoto, iMovie, Keynote et al if you need something different from the built-in slideshows in Aperture.
    Heheh...it's so painful to be on the verge of a possible upgrade. To buy or not to buy? I'm hoping to ask a cousin to buy for me so I can get a student discount. But he's leaving to another country for 6 months...so I only have another couple of weeks to make up my mind, really.

I'm in Australia now as well, and wouldn't have any relatives coming over here for a while. It'd mean I have to wait for over a year before I can get the computer, if I don't get it now. Anyway, it's something to think about.

DPP is perfect for the dumb ones like myself, who only know how to click a few things. Even better was that it was free. Aperture is indeed a great application which I tried for a while on a friend's Macbook. Easy to use and quite intuitive, not like Photoshop which took me weeks to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    if you are looking for hardware that is more reliable (not software), then it is pretty much a crapshoot... cause Apple does not produce their own hardware... their laptops were produced by the same third party OEM manufacturers as other companies'... and of course the components are made by the same companies that produce stuff for other laptop companies...

wrt Intel processors and "pure" macs (these as well were not produced by Apple but by IBM), the speed advantage you had heard of was probably due to the fact that in the early days of the transition to Intel processors, most of the Mac software available was written for the PowerPC "Pure" mac processors... but with Mac software transitioning to being natively compatible to Intel processors, the new processors should definitely be faster...
    Absolutely right there. That is, unless software, viruses and spyware are responsible for the premature failure of hardware.

They really don't have the same quality these days. My 9 year old IBM laptop is terribly out of date, but geez, how it works without a hitch despite all these years of abuse. The Macbook Pro looks remarkably beautiful, but I wonder if it will last. Seriously, if my next laptop can last me a decade, I'd throw the money on it, no issue. Yes, I'd be eating grass for a while, but that cost will even out very nicely over 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by danmic View Post
    I am using a 15" 2.4GHz MBP for my mobile photo need, with a LaCia 160GB Rugged HDD, running on Leopard. I use Aperture, which handles my RAW files with ease, and export them as TIFF/JPEG as finalised version. As Aperture does not alter your original RAW file no matter now much adjustment u did, it give u peace of mind, exp on road knowing that u can always have the original back at anytime.

As on your question on slides show, there are a few options that u can explore when using Aperture:

(1) Slides show native from Aperture, with customizable back ground music and transition.

(2) With Preview in Aperture enabled, the same photos can be used in iPhoto, which come pre-installed in all Mac. iPhoto runs impressive slides shows, with great transition and music from your itune library.

(3) You can also run the slides show from Front-Row, where you can control it using the remote control that comes with your Mac.

(4) Optional: I also uses Fotomagico, an impressive slide show program that allows u full control how the pic are to be presented, and how each transition is done, back ground music etc with ease of use.

All these can be done on either your LCD Screen, or if u like, on any wide screen or regular TV via the DVI port, making presentation easier.

I guess all these can be done on a PC as well, but in my opinion (very biased as I am mac user since 1989, hee hee), Mac integrates the many software together much better (iLIFE). And since u shoot in RAW, u sld really try out Aperture, as it is fast, easy and intuitive.

5cents dan
    Sounds good here...for the most part it appears that whatever I need already comes preinstalled on the Mac. That will save me a handsome sum so I can spend it on things like RAM.

How much does a copy of Aperture cost?

Hardware-wise. All brands are the same. It's a luck thing if your computer fails.
    The pro and cons are explained pretty clearly be all before me.

The single and only point I buy Mac is to save time. What you pay in money, you get back in time, literally minutes and hours. I'm Mac user too.

(I'm into shipping MBP, do PM to get some quotes.)

Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    Hardware-wise. All brands are the same. It's a luck thing if your computer fails.
    The pro and cons are explained pretty clearly be all before me.

The single and only point I buy Mac is to save time. What you pay in money, you get back in time, literally minutes and hours. I'm Mac user too.

(I'm into shipping MBP, do PM to get some quotes.)
    Must be really bad luck if that's the case.

Why does buying a Mac save time? Is it faster in operation than a similarly priced Windows PC? Or is it faster by virtue of user interface?

What about MacBook? It is much cheper.
    I see that the specs are almost the same for MB and MBP. MB got slower graphic card but they are irrelevant to Aperture / Lightroom.

Quote Originally Posted by weekh View Post
    I see that the specs are almost the same for MB and MBP. MB got slower graphic card but they are irrelevant to Aperture / Lightroom.
    MB's spec looks good but the screen is a little small for photo processing. Also, it is heavy for a 13" notebook and it's aka "oven". Mine died right after 1 year warranty

Quote Originally Posted by fWord View Post
    Must be really bad luck if that's the case.

Why does buying a Mac save time? Is it faster in operation than a similarly priced Windows PC? Or is it faster by virtue of user interface?
    If you compare hardware, it's the same speed more or less.

You save time from troubleshooting. Not much spyware, adware or virus that users should be concerned about. You concentrated on work as there's no distraction. I've never troubleshooted my Mac before. Friends of mine who have problem all are hardware problems-related, never the OS.

It's more expensive than PC. It's a fact.
    But it really cuts down on the level of frustration because the OS is rock solid.

Quote Originally Posted by YOL925 View Post
    MB's spec looks good but the screen is a little small for photo processing. Also, it is heavy for a 13" notebook and it's aka "oven". Mine died right after 1 year warranty
    Yah. Screen definitely a tad small for photos. Should have gotten the warranty. One day is like $0.5 for a period of two years. Quite worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    If you compare hardware, it's the same speed more or less.

You save time from troubleshooting. Not much spyware, adware or virus that users should be concerned about. You concentrated on work as there's no distraction. I've never troubleshooted my Mac before. Friends of mine who have problem all are hardware problems-related, never the OS.

It's more expensive than PC. It's a fact.
    But it really cuts down on the level of frustration because the OS is rock solid.
    I use a macbook pro for school, and I do a lot of graphics, layouting and I've got over 40,000 images backup-ed using this mac. I was always a Windows user before, but now I've realised why the mac is more powerful: integration.

Everything just works, like what the ads say. I don't run anti-virus either; I don't surf those kind of sites, and the mac doesn't catch windows viruses.

Hardware though, is bad. I've sent my macbook pro in thrice in two years, and apple replaced the logic board, fans, hard disk, cd-rom, screen - in other words, everything. But thanks to AppleCare, it's free! But all the time it spent being repaired is still worth it.

A windows user will never understand the love one can have for a piece of expensive metal.

Well, to add on the stuff posted after my last post, I actually agree that the screen a tad too small.. But get used to it already. From my 17'' jump to this little 13.3''.. Hehes.. Can't even see full photo at all it's glory.. But it works fine =p Only thing the lack of a graphics card and the scratches are quite bad..
    Meow!

Quote Originally Posted by weekh View Post
    The Macbook is indeed a much cheaper alternative. I see it's a very capable computer also and will likely suffice for what I wish to do with photos. However I'm sure that if sometime down the track I decide I need more power for games, slideshows etc then I'll be stuck in a rut, thinking I should have put in a little more money to get that extra processing power.

I think the difference in RAM would also amount to a difference in speed. Naturally I could upgrade both on my own if I really wanted to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast