Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 103

Thread: Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station B1-48.
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    I guess this is a harsh lesson for all:

    Just because the photographer is from CS, doesn't mean he's a good photographer.
    And just because he takes nice pictures, doesn't mean he's a good wedding photographer.
    Food for thought.
    Expensive lesson for wedding couple.
    Lesson 101 for photog: Back-up and back-up, spare camera and spare everything. When you accept money for service, you promised delivery. All bets are off, when you cannot deliver.
    just1book, no kidding!

  2. #42

    Default Re: Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

    Backup is especially important for a wedding photographer.

    I once read of this wedding photographer based in Vancouver who backup his photos to his 1 main computer and 2 external harddisk, 1 of them is store inside a safe.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

    Quote Originally Posted by behyx View Post
    Backup is especially important for a wedding photographer.

    I once read of this wedding photographer based in Vancouver who backup his photos to his 1 main computer and 2 external harddisk, 1 of them is store inside a safe.
    and to prevent data corruption, he store each wedding couple's picture in individual hdd.

    tat means he's practically hdd's manufacturer's fav customer...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  4. #44
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

    Just a note that exemption clauses are not ALWAYS enforceable .

    Quote Originally Posted by auron View Post
    well i guess such thing can also happen to a pro.
    i'm quite sure there is some clause in the pro contract that will say something like return all phototogs fees paid.

    the only diff i can see is that the chances of it happen to a pro should be greatly reduced.

    good luck in trying to save the images...

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,191

    Default Re: Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

    I once lost one whole card of data for a company's event. Since then, I very kiasu.

    Download to my Zen Vision W during the event.

    Go back home, download to comp. Backup the original files in an external harddisk.

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    and to prevent data corruption, he store each wedding couple's picture in individual hdd.

    tat means he's practically hdd's manufacturer's fav customer...
    Aren't we all?

  7. #47

    Default Re: Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

    since we are on this topic, it is ok to ask my ad photog to d/l all pix taken tat day into my hdd but then he still hav to edit and product the actual works?

  8. #48

    Default Re: Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

    Quote Originally Posted by compro_1975 View Post
    i think by nw the CP card is already pack with other images....
    dun worry, even if the cf card ihas been over written with other images, as long as the images file name is not the same, there is alway a chance to recover back the files, even if it the same, there are still ways to get the old data back, if not how and why would big company pay big buck to those data recovery company just to recover the data back? I knew of one local company which pay 15k just to recover 8GB worth of data on their server harddisk when the harddisk just died without warnings (FYI its one of the CM for one of the HDD maker).

  9. #49

    Default Re: Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

    so lousy... nv do redundancy backup meh?
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

  10. #50

    Default Re: Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

    Quote Originally Posted by Xpose View Post
    dun worry, even if the cf card ihas been over written with other images, as long as the images file name is not the same, there is alway a chance to recover back the files, even if it the same, there are still ways to get the old data back, if not how and why would big company pay big buck to those data recovery company just to recover the data back? I knew of one local company which pay 15k just to recover 8GB worth of data on their server harddisk when the harddisk just died without warnings (FYI its one of the CM for one of the HDD maker).
    It does not work this way la. If the sector is overwritten and card formatted, there is a high risk of not being able to recover back the files (except for super duperly expensive methods which the cost u have cited). It has nothing to do with file name, but rather the magnetic sectors.
    Chanxj
    my blog @ http://sgsnap.com

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

    One thing that irks/intrigues me that no one else raised.

    How come the loss of data is so selective? If his hard disk crashed he would have lost everything on the hard disk, not one part of the wedding dinner, right?

  12. #52
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

    Heh I tried to stuff it between the lines in my comment that there is a possibility it was not crashed, but screwed up shots.

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    One thing that irks/intrigues me that no one else raised.

    How come the loss of data is so selective? If his hard disk crashed he would have lost everything on the hard disk, not one part of the wedding dinner, right?

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

    So it's a HDD or a CF Card problem?

    If its a card problem, losing that portion is probable.

    For the measly 2 weddings that I covered in the past, I used a new card after the makeup, and again another one before the table-shots.

    This is one case where professionalism (and professional equipment) comes into play. Thank god for dual card slots and simultaneous writing for the flagship models in the two biggest camps.

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

    Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    So it's a HDD or a CF Card problem?

    If its a card problem, losing that portion is probable.

    For the measly 2 weddings that I covered in the past, I used a new card after the makeup, and again another one before the table-shots.

    This is one case where professionalism (and professional equipment) comes into play. Thank god for dual card slots and simultaneous writing for the flagship models in the two biggest camps.
    The dual CF slots can run RAID 0/1?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

    Not very sure about the D3 (but I suspect it should be the same), but the MarkIIIs are able to write to both the CF and SD simultaneously, you can also choose between writing the same format, or different. e.g. RAW to CF, Small JPG to SD.

  16. #56

    Default Re: Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Heh I tried to stuff it between the lines in my comment that there is a possibility it was not crashed, but screwed up shots.
    LOL! Had similar suspicions, though I wasn't as subtle as you were.

    Looks like "My PC got problem!" is the new "My dog ate my work!".

  17. #57

    Default Re: Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

    I hate to say this, but MANY wedding couples won't give a rat's ess; the most important thingie is 'HOW MUCH AH?'.

    And if or when things go KA-BOOM, it's ALWAYS that )(&*(!%*@&#_) 'LOUSY' photographer's fault!

    It's the 'way of the SG consumer'. Like the similar Dragon brethen, centuries of 'inculcation' cannot be easily escaped.

  18. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

    Quote Originally Posted by compro_1975 View Post
    since we are on this topic, it is ok to ask my ad photog to d/l all pix taken tat day into my hdd but then he still hav to edit and product the actual works?
    IMHO no, not really. Reasons being:

    1) Why don't you trust me? (But understandable because got so many of such incidents happening these days).

    2) I'm not keen to show you everything, because it may affect my reputation as a photographer. Even the best photographers will only show you their best shots.

    3) What if your computer corrupts my CF card?
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    I hate to say this, but MANY wedding couples won't give a rat's ess; the most important thingie is 'HOW MUCH AH?'.

    And if or when things go KA-BOOM, it's ALWAYS that )(&*(!%*@&#_) 'LOUSY' photographer's fault!

    It's the 'way of the SG consumer'. Like the similar Dragon brethen, centuries of 'inculcation' cannot be easily escaped.
    That's why it is important not to charge too cheaply. Ironically, it's those that pay the least that are the most fussy. You pay peanuts, you should expect a monkey. Those couple who ask for the sky and still want to pay so little, I usually turn them away politely.

    Having said that, no matter what the price bracket, lost pictures (for whatever reason) will always be the photographer's fault, and rightly so. But if couple decides to pay cheap for services, then they also cannot say too much...
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  20. #60

    Default Re: Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

    i do really wanna knw who exactly did he hire...or hope this person will step out and admit his own mistakes...for other fellow wedding photogs wannabes can learn from this and nv to repeat this mistake again...otherwise just shoot for hobby

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •