Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: opinions needed! stucked between K10D and olympus E510

Default Re: opinions needed! stucked between K10D and olympus E510

so far, IT show is not really a good time to buy lenses. The distributor has to protect the dealers so it's prices are more like RRP. Its better to shop around MS Color, OP, CP, AP...
    K-5IIs, DA16-85, DFA50, DFA100, DA*60-250, 540FGZ II, 160FC, 201FG

If you want to wait for price dip, I think your best hope is to wait for the K20/200D launch.
    Forget about the IT/camera shows.
    The "offers" given by authorised dealers of Pentax in those show has been... laughable at best.

If not in a hurry, best is to wait a while for the K20D & K200D to come out.
    I currently have the E-510 and another Oly body with a few lenses. I am eyeing the K200D with the upcoming 17-70 f/4 & 50mm f/1.4 & 77mm f/1.8 to start my Pentax adventures. Anyone can give me a rough estimate how much that would cost me?

Quote Originally Posted by meldie View Post
    (: ok kinda decided on the K10D to set my self for the next 2-3 years, will be looking out here when someone decides to upgrade their lenses :P

i got abt 1k in the piggy already. so can only whack the stores after my hong bao collection.

anyways when's the best time to get the K10D? during IT show (6-9 march)? will the prices be foreseen to dip at IT show with the grand entrace of the K200 n K20D? *prays so*
    I feel that IT show is like an exhibition for the stuff. To get good price, it's still best to go to the regular shops

If k20D had launched, I guess they will stop producing K10D right? If so, I guess you can get the K200D if it does happen
    Let's get rolling :)

Quote Originally Posted by CTN View Post
    If not in a hurry, best is to wait a while for the K20D & K200D to come out.
    I currently have the E-510 and another Oly body with a few lenses. I am eyeing the K200D with the upcoming 17-70 f/4 & 50mm f/1.4 & 77mm f/1.8 to start my Pentax adventures. Anyone can give me a rough estimate how much that would cost me?
    The 50/1.4 is about $350, FA77/1.8 around $1050. If the 17-70/4 (SDM right?) is intended to replace the 16-45/4 then the price should be somewhere $700+. K200D body probably around $1000 when launched but will drop after a few months.

These are just my guesstimates

I don't think there is gonna be any price dip. The shops here carry minimum or little stocks for Pentax. By the time the new pentax camera is out, most already clear or out of stocks for their older models.

I'm thinking of getting a K10D myself, preferbly second hand as I don't have a lot of money to spend.

Samuel
    f/8 and be there.

I always feel, Pentax and Olympus compliment each other very well.

I feel the K10D is a notch higher than the E510. The build quality of the K10D is higher than that of the E510, weatherproof etc.

The viewfinder of the E510 is quite small, if it's important to you.

But one thing, the E510 is surely lighter than the K10D.

And one more thing, the E510 requires a little tweaking of settings before it will show it's full potential. The default settings are no good. I'm not sure of the K10D since I've not used one before. But IQ should be good for both.

I would have gotten a Pentax if I didn't get Olympus.

Just share my $0.02.

I was once having the same predicament as you...deciding between the Olympus E510 & K10D. But in the end....i chose the K10D.

The (Pro) reasons (some might be mentioned in the previous post). Your mileage may vary:

1) Bigger & brighter Viewfinder
    2) No need for Live view (tried liveview on the E510, dun really like it but that's me)
    3) Can get a battery grip (very important to me). The grip provide a much much better grip for my (large) hand and enhance the overall "feel" of the camera. You also get a better hold of the camera while navigating the menu or pushing some buttons here and there...
    4) The numbers of FA/DA etc and third party lens that you can buy without hurting your pocket (of course, i am not refering to the DA* lens with SDM)
    5) Weather seal (both body & grip)
    6) Good high ISO performance (upto ISO 800. 1600 looks usable IMHO) (important to me as i dun like to use flash)
    7) Have top LCD display with backlight (i like)
    8) Solid build and feel.
    9) very customisable (as in customs functions)
    10) Not heavy

Some thing to note:

1) The K10D may produced photo not suited to your liking at the default setting so you will have to play around with the color tone/setting to get the color you like.

hmmm....what have i miss....??

I suggest you go down to a reputable shop to try out both camera and see which one is suitable for you.

If you are not in a hurry to get the K10D, why dun u wait for the K20D which may be available after March?

Quote Originally Posted by tohcp View Post
    Some thing to note:

1) The K10D may produced photo not suited to your liking at the default setting so you will have to play around with the color tone/setting to get the color you like.

hmmm....what have i miss....??
    I think the Olympus suffers the same problem too, lousy default settings
    Functional disorder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12