Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Asus EEE PC

Default Re: Asus EEE PC

Screen resolution is definitely not comparable to normal notebook.

Had considered a normal notebook. Decided on Eee PC for its weight as I will be using it while travelling. Already had a desktop sitting at home.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeWorld View Post
    Screen resolution is definitely not comparable to normal notebook.

Had considered a normal notebook. Decided on Eee PC for its weight as I will be using it while travelling. Already had a desktop sitting at home.
    Screen resolution is NOT a problem. There is a modified intel driver that is able to display up to 2048x1536. great for an external display but a PITA for the eeePC 7" screen.

BTW, for me the 4G SSD of the eeePC is more than sufficient to install win xp pro (trimed-down version), kaspersky anti-virus, ms office, vlc player, QTime, iTunes, firefox, VPN, serv-u (ftp server) & eeeClock (over-clock this baby to 900MHz full-speed.) Total SSD used: 1.84GB only

eeePC 4G. 2G RAM (+$63), SDHC 8G Extreme III ($160).

cocoa

Quote Originally Posted by cocoa View Post
    BTW, for me the 4G SSD of the eeePC is more than sufficient to install win xp pro (trimed-down version), kaspersky anti-virus, ms office, vlc player, QTime, iTunes, firefox, VPN, serv-u (ftp server) & eeeClock (over-clock this baby to 900MHz full-speed.) Total SSD used: 1.84GB only

eeePC 4G. 2G RAM (+$63), SDHC 8G Extreme III ($160).

cocoa
    How much the softwares (win xp pro (trimed-down version), kaspersky anti-virus, ms office) cost?
    Where to get?
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    How much the softwares (win xp pro (trimed-down version), kaspersky anti-virus, ms office) cost?
    Where to get?
    mine are vol licenses. no idea how much they cost. can easily check w any software store here for individual license. wont be cheap though.

Blog Entries

i've installed winXP home ed, AVG free anti-virus software, Word and Powerpoint. still trying to figure out how to re-install winXP using the nLite version...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

the nlite for windows xp is availabe on the internet for free to trim down the bloater xp

Where to get?

comparing eeepc ($700) vs std basic notebook ($880) ....
    besides weight (1kg vs 2kg) and size, i still feel that a full pc is still more worthwhile to have ... esp we play around with images...
    the eeepc is not a notebook per see actually...

it's a device that lets you surf net i feel..

anyway, posting this post on the bus using my eeepc :P

And is that drink an imitation Coke?

Why install nLite XP when you can install a full version XP pro?
    Full version runs pretty smooth. Even at 512mb ram.

My Eee PC before I upgrade to Win XP pro. The LCD plastic shield still intact.

Last edited by LifeWorld; 3rd February 2008 at 02:31 PM.

nLite XP - u just use nLite to cut down a lot of unnec stuff in xp pro (such as shared folder, drivers, help, and all useless services that u don't use in eeePC). result: it takes much smaller space in yr 4G SSD and bootup much faster.

If you upgrade yr ram to 2GB, you can save 1.5G from your 4G SSD by deleting that huge pagefile. $63 only.

google: (cocoa+carbon). knowledge is power
    Last edited by cocoa; 3rd February 2008 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cocoa View Post
    nLite XP - u just use nLite to cut down a lot of unnec stuff in xp pro (such as shared folder, drivers, help, and all useless services that u don't use in eeePC). result: it takes much smaller space in yr 4G SSD and bootup much faster.

If you upgrade yr ram to 2GB, you can save 1.5G from your 4G SSD by deleting that huge pagefile. $63 only.

google: (cocoa+carbon). knowledge is power
    i dont even use any pagefile. with 2gb ram, i totally did away all pagefiles.

but then again, will experiment to see if pagefile on ramdisk will be faster then totally without pagefile or not..

The 4gb (3.8gb after formatting) is enough for the WinXP and resident anti-virus applications. Too lazy to nLite. I use D: removeable 4gb drive for additional applications like MSoffice, CS2 etc....
    Had reduced the VM to 256mb. Pagefile enable. Might want to test disable pagefile and monitor the performance. So far so good.

i saw a lot of people putting in bigger SDHC card. Is it to replace the existing one or an add on as in a separate card reader?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by amateur_photographer View Post
    i saw a lot of people putting in bigger SDHC card. Is it to replace the existing one or an add on as in a separate card reader?
    no.. there's a SD card slot alongside the eeePC. the bigger card just becomes an ext storage. u can even install and run programs off it.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

wow, you are tempting me, LW

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    no.. there's a SD card slot alongside the eeePC. the bigger card just becomes an ext storage. u can even install and run programs off it.
    yea, and getting a cheap 8GB SDHC (I got a trancend one from Memory World, $75) it's more then enough for all that i'll do on this tiny machine.. =)

I am bought ...... haha
    wanna help me go with me to SLS to buy one during this coming holiday?
    too many days off, so it's best time to play play.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    yea, and getting a cheap 8GB SDHC (I got a trancend one from Memory World, $75) it's more then enough for all that i'll do on this tiny machine.. =)
    really! gosh! i must go and find Lynnette!

for those who installed nlite - can i ask what files do i have to copy over from my winXP home ed to my SD card? is it the INF folder?

"Hot off the virtual pressrooms and into the 1st Jan fire! Asus reportedly is going to preview its second generation of Eee PCs, the computing solution that took the world by storm, beating other initiatives for low-cost computing by more than 350000 units shipped at the end of December 2007.
    Now, just after winding down New Years celebrations, Asus has released a mysterious press release (in Chinese) which mentions that the second generation Eee will come with an 8.9" screen, among other delightful upgrades such as models with embedded XP , and even WiMAX connectivity .......... "

Should i buy now or wait till May 08?
    Last edited by Canonised; 4th February 2008 at 02:34 PM.

"Hot off the virtual pressrooms and into the 1st Jan fire! Asus reportedly is going to preview its second generation of Eee PCs, the computing solution that took the world by storm, beating other initiatives for low-cost computing by more than 350000 units shipped at the end of December 2007.
    Now, just after winding down New Years celebrations, Asus has released a mysterious press release (in Chinese) which mentions that the second generation Eee will come with an 8.9" screen, among other delightful upgrades such as models with embedded XP , and even WiMAX connectivity .......... "

Should i buy now or wait till May 08?
    Wait till may, like me.......

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast