Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: A backward glance

  1. #1

    Default A backward glance

    This was taken during the recent Thaipusam event at Sri Perumal Temple.
    She was part of a kavadi procession passing through Serangoon road that evening.
    A fleeting moment chanced and captured when I saw her looking back at another party that was fast approaching.
    Background was desat to make her stand out.
    Compositionally does this image work?
    The guy on the right.....does he adds flavour to the scene or merely posed as a distraction?
    Your inputs on this guys.


  2. #2

    Default Re: A backward glance

    nice...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Serangoon North
    Posts
    2,225

    Default Re: A backward glance

    Hi,

    did you do some post processing on her face too? it's looks like a painting to me, at least on my lousy monitor. More details on her face would be better, me thinks. The catchlights in her eyes looks painted in too.

    The guys on the right is fine as he is looking at the same location as the main subject. This makes me wanna know what they looking at.

  4. #4

    Default Re: A backward glance

    Quote Originally Posted by bblurrr View Post
    nice...
    Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    Hi,
    did you do some post processing on her face too? it's looks like a painting to me, at least on my lousy monitor. More details on her face would be better, me thinks. The catchlights in her eyes looks painted in too.
    The guys on the right is fine as he is looking at the same location as the main subject. This makes me wanna know what they looking at.
    Other than desaturating the BG, cloning out a a couple of blemishes on her face
    and running the pic thru Neat image, no other pp was done.
    As I had already stated, she was glancing at another kavadi party that was approaching. It was loud, gaudy and boisterous so much so that the guy in the pic was also tranfixed by the scene playing out behind them.

    Any other comments on the compo guys?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: A backward glance

    well seen and captured.

    I like the interaction... the pose of the guy in the background is like a mirror image of the girl... and yet... as mirror images go, they are opposites. and that's precisely what is shown. one is a male, the other a female, opposites!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    332

    Default Re: A backward glance

    Nice.

    The guy on the right balances up the pic and their looking in the same direction shows that something has caught their attention.

  7. #7

    Default Re: A backward glance

    OK…so I take it that the general consensus so far is that the guy on the right doesn’t posed a distraction but contrary to it, balanced up the image.

    Thanks, thanks.

  8. #8

    Default Re: A backward glance

    There was no need to "clone" the blemishes. It has made the pix unreal.

  9. #9

    Default Re: A backward glance

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    There was no need to "clone" the blemishes. It has made the pix unreal.
    I would rather preferred to see it from a woman’s perspective than a purist stand on photo manipulation.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: A backward glance

    Aesthetically... I find you should clone away the blemishes. Of course things like moles and birthmarks should not be cloned away.... coz they are well... sort of permanent i guess and give identity to the person. rather than things like pimples, sweat/oil or whatever.

    (ya ya i know pimple scars are forever...)

    But this photo, i could still live with the digital touch-up.

  11. #11

    Default Re: A backward glance

    Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    Aesthetically... I find you should clone away the blemishes. Of course things like moles and birthmarks should not be cloned away.... coz they are well... sort of permanent i guess and give identity to the person. rather than things like pimples, sweat/oil or whatever.

    My sentiments too bro. Perm marks on the face like moles and scars are the hallmark of a person. They add character and should not be removed.

    Cloning out a couple of pimples I can live with without feeling guilty that I had manipulated the image to the extent that it became unreal.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: A backward glance

    clone or no clone... its personal preference and depending on what it would be used for. Otherwise, nice capture but thought it was slightly over exposed? Seems to have a whitish cast on the hair and skin
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  13. #13

    Default Re: A backward glance

    Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    Otherwise, nice capture but thought it was slightly over exposed? Seems to have a whitish cast on the hair and skin

    Really? Looks ok on my monitor.

  14. #14

    Default Re: A backward glance

    Excellent shot, it brings me back to the 60s, where I saw Indian cinema posters at Galaxy theatre, Geylang Seria. Like to see more of your work.

  15. #15

    Default Re: A backward glance

    Quote Originally Posted by starby06 View Post
    Excellent shot, it brings me back to the 60s, where I saw Indian cinema posters at Galaxy theatre, Geylang Seria. Like to see more of your work.
    Thanks bro. Glad this image evoke a moment of nostalgic flashback for you.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •