Thread: help with slr!

Default help with slr!

hi guys! i'm getting a nikon F80 body but i just can't seem to figure out what lens will be suitable for an amateur! help! any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: help with slr!

Hi hweeshi,

What is your area of interests (portraiture, macro, landscape, indoor/outdoor etc)? This will determine the focal range of the lenses. Also since you're using a film SLR, DX lenses would not be suitable since they have smaller image circle.

recommend the 50mm f/1.8
    is only abt 160 or thereabouts.
    great lens to learn the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by hweeshi View Post
    hi guys! i'm getting a nikon F80 body but i just can't seem to figure out what lens will be suitable for an amateur! help! any advice will be greatly appreciated!
    Well, wat's your budget?

Wat do you want to shoot with the set?
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    Hi hweeshi,

What is your area of interests (portraiture, macro, landscape, indoor/outdoor etc)? This will determine the focal range of the lenses. Also since you're using a film SLR, DX lenses would not be suitable since they have smaller image circle.

i think i'm most probably taking outdoors and people. i would like a lens that can let grasp the basic techinques of lighting and composition.oh and is it too ambitious for a newbie to wanna learn how to use manual focus?

i think i'm most probably taking outdoors and people. i would like a lens that can let grasp the basic techinques of lighting and composition.oh and is it too ambitious for a newbie to wanna learn how to use manual focus?
    lol you dont need a lense to teach you lighting and composition.

anyway, you're probably looking for a short zoom. 24-200? I recommend the 50, but I'm old-school

hmm what's ambitious about manual focusing. However I think the F80 comes with a clear focusing screen, correct me if I'm wrong. You're better off with buying a split screen for manual focusing. Might cost a bit.

The Nikon 24-120VR would be a choice. Or you can also look at the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site